Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Long Poles

Post Thanks / Like

Default Long Poles

What is the best reel type for b&m casting rods? also are they good for trolling jigs? Which is more managable 8,9,or 10ft. rods. Thanks Russ
    Stay Humble .. Even on a Crappie Day !!

Post Thanks / Like

It really doesn't matter how long your pole is, what really matters is the backbone of the shaft and the sensitivity of the tip.

Post Thanks / Like

what I'm asking I guess is spinnning reel or spin cast which is preferred? thanks again.
    Stay Humble .. Even on a Crappie Day !!

Post Thanks / Like

Ive got a spinning reel on my 10' silstar and really like it. I use it to jig, tightline and drift. I havent tried long line trolling with it. I have spinning reels on other rods too and find it a little more difficult to count out line consistantly. Most of my rigs have a piece of red tape 12" from the reel so I can count my line out.

Post Thanks / Like

When my litle girl was 3 she began with a spin cast, but I had trouble casting it for her. It just didnt feel right to me after all these years away from one.

I had a like new 5' ultra light rod in the garage, so I bought her a Pflueger trigger spin reel. That little Pflueger changed my mind about trigger spin reels.
    It casts 4lb test like a dream and has never tangled. It runs about as smooth as my UL spinning reels and it's simple to run...esp. in low light conditions.

My vote is for a spinning reel UNLESS you go with a Pflueger trigger spin...no other brand.

Post Thanks / Like

I use 9', 10', 11', and 12' WM rods with spinning reels to troll. 12' straight out the front, 10' at 30 degrees, 11' at 60 degrees, and 9' at 90 degrees. The different rod lengths are to keep as close to an even horizontal spacing (4' to 5') between the rod tips with the rods in the holders. The longest rods I use are 12' because it is easier for me to assemble and break down two piece rods when in the boat fishing. I dropped back to shorter rods at 90 degrees because 14' or 16' rods would be constantly slapping the water as the boat rocked from wakes.

Spinning reels work well; just chose one with a decent drag.
    Keith
    2008 NWR Bash Crappie Champion
    2010 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2010 Buggs Bash Smallest Crappie Award

Post Thanks / Like

I use baitcast reels, better drag, they are smaller- for when you have them in a pole holder, lighter- for when you tight line. you don't usually cast them anyway

Post Thanks / Like

We have eight of the B-n-M jig poles I think we have 5 or 6 with under spins all was Zebco's but I'm throwing them away and replacing them with the little Shakespere under spin .Not sure why but the zebcos just was crap a few of them the trigger was messed up had to hold it just in the right place or it didn't work But back to the question the rods that we fight over are the two with the baitcasters on them they are so much less fuss you can countdown the line with so much less hassle I beleive baitcasters work alot better