Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: outboard motor oil question

Post Thanks / Like

Default outboard motor oil question

I have a 1993 Mercury two stroke 60 hp and a 1984 Mariner 4 hp. I have always bought Quicksilver marine motor oil for use in both of them. Today when I grabbed a gallon bottle off the shelf I accidently picked up the synthetic blend by mistake. Will this be OK to use in the two motors mentioned above or should I return it to Walmart for the regular stuff. Any suggestions would be appreciated. The label said it was formulated to meet the demands of high horsepower and direct fuel injected motors.
    Ken

Post Thanks / Like

It is fine as long as it is for 2-stroke outboards. They do make a synthetic blend for four-stroke outboards and another for four-stroke inboard/sterndrives - make sure it isn't one of those.

Synthetic blends are superior to "natural" oils and full synthetics are better yet - you won't hurt a thing using them, just the opposite.

Post Thanks / Like

From what I have heard... the synthetic is fine but do not mix the two.
    PieEye
    "You can't fish with a landing net in both hands, you need one hand to put something back !

Post Thanks / Like

Its fine but as Pieeye said dont mix the two, I would take it back and get the right jug.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Unless you plan on draining both motors and refilling them with the synthetic, take it back and get the usual oil you've been using. Shouldn't be a problem with walmart.

SnakeCharmer Guest

I don't have any experience with synthetics in boat motors but I have used it in car engines before. I have had older engines develop ring sealing issues after switching to synthetic. Not to mention that the synthetic will find places to leak out of that the dead dinosaur stuff wont. I would be leary of using it in a boat motor that had any real number of hours on it unless that whats allways been used in it. But thats just me.

Post Thanks / Like

Default motor oil

Hey guys - thanks for your advice. I took the synthetic blend back to Walmart this morning and got the regular oil I have been using. I appreciate the help.
    Ken