Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: baitcasters and kayaks

Post Thanks / Like

Default baitcasters and kayaks

i've always been a spin caster doing shore and wading fishing and not for bass. this spring when i got my kayak i picked up a bait caster but couldn't get the hang of it. i've always heard of the benefits of baitcaster and they are true but.... maybe my technique was wrong but the best i could do is having a throwing motion in my kayak [i'm right handed] from 2 oclock to 11 oclock like a baseball pitcher . my accuracy was improving but that isn't my problem. with a spincaster i can give a flip of the wrist and send the lure anywhere from the 8 oclock to the 4 oclock position. i have to have the kayak positioned perfectly between 11-12 oclock to not miss left or right by much.
    am i doing something wrong? should i be able to send a lure in a larger area left to right with practice? i'd like to use a baitcaster but not if i have to reposition the kayak every cast or two into the sweet zone.

Post Thanks / Like

Baitcasters can be tricky to master (for lack of a better word), your spool/magnetic adjustment should probably be set a bit on the tighter side while learning to cast (and save you hours of bicking-out bird nests. Work on just casting, then loosen the spool a bit here and there, and feather it with your thumb. After you learn distance, set a paper plate, coffee can, whatever in your yard and practice accuracy at different distances, all of the previous done from a standing position. Once you get fairly accurate, start all over setting in a chair. Stick with a pistol-grip type rod, so you don't have a lot of butt-end to work around. Practice overhead and side-arm (both directions) casts.

ETA: Also, be sure you aren't using a lure heavier than your rod was designed for, it could cause your inaccuracy problems, or at least add to them.
    Apple Pie ProStaff

Post Thanks / Like

thanks. using a pistol grip is a good idea. i was using 8 pound mono and 1/4 ounce lures much of the time. the rod and reel were rated for that but would i have a easier time learning if i went to 12 pound mono and a heavier lure?

Post Thanks / Like

Probably not, I'd practice with something close (in weight) to what you'll be fishing with. There's a bit of an art to using a Baitcaster, just stick with it and take your time, you'll get the hang of it. Heck if I did anyone can. I'm sure there's been some who were a natural at it, and could pick one up and sling it like a Pro, I just wasn't one of them. Though I haven't Bass fished in years, I still use them on my Catfish rigs. If you were closer I'd make you a heck of a deal on a bunch of Bass gear, lol.
    Apple Pie ProStaff

Post Thanks / Like

Baitcaster take more of a lob action. Practice in your backyard, but do so sitting down low, like in your kayak.

Post Thanks / Like

practice is the key.. I would go to a local lake or pond with structure and practice practice practice, you will need to really get the hang of your equipment first imo, get comfortable with it til you feel like you can control it, you will find that you can put you lure or bait inches from your target every-time! Good Luck!

Post Thanks / Like

I've been trying out a baitcaster for a bit. Just when I think I've figured it out... damn bird nest! I know guys that use them exclusively and work them like pros, I'm not even close. I have a couple of observations. First, if I ever try overhand I instantly regret it, bird nest. I can get probably 20 yds without too much trouble, try for more than that, bird nest. Also, got to be careful with the short lobs too... you guessed it, bird nest.

For me they are pretty much ineffective for jigging, I have other crappie poles for that. They work best for open water Reds and Specs, that is if I could catch them.