PDA

View Full Version : Bead next to last eye?

muzzy125acc
11-20-2012, 10:54 PM
I have read where some of you use a bead in the line next to the last eye of the rod while spider rigging. What kind of bead and why?

Sent from a Droid.

skeetbum
11-20-2012, 11:19 PM
A bead on the line between the tip and first eye will rattle when it gets a hit and you might not see. I'm guessing 1/4" bead or so.

Cray
11-21-2012, 09:03 AM
Muzzy, I put a 1/4 red bead like comes with a slip bobber between first guide after tip eye and next guide on my PST's. Have found on Pennical with softer tip works better between tip and first guide. Bead will rattle against pole when fish hits when spider rigging. Sounds crazy but it works. I have to give credit to a member on Ky board ( can't remember his name but he is the river boat pilot ) I'm a Geezer. It improved my catch ratio by probably a 100% when I learned that from him a couple years ago. I have A D D so watching poles is difficult for me so this trick really helped.

Rees Guide
11-21-2012, 09:11 AM
Muzzy, I put a 1/4 red bead like comes with a slip bobber between first guide after tip eye and next guide on my PST's. Have found on Pennical with softer tip works better between tip and first guide. Bead will rattle against pole when fish hits when spider rigging. Sounds crazy but it works. I have to give credit to a member on Ky board ( can't remember his name but he is the river boat pilot ) I'm a Geezer. It improved my catch ratio by probably a 100% when I learned that from him a couple years ago. I have A D D so watching poles is difficult for me so this trick really helped.

And I give credit to Cray for sharing this with me, do it 100% of the time and my improved catch ratio is the same. Fish by myself alot, sometimes you can be looking staight at the pole and never see it move but will here the "tick" of the bead, find that it puts you on alert, very effective. Thanks Cray for sharing my friend.

wilbur
11-21-2012, 07:16 PM
I think his name is Whiskers.

buffalo13
11-21-2012, 08:37 PM
I've done it for years. The man that showed me how to spider rig used them and I've done it every since. I just use the cheap ones in the craft dept you can get 100 for very little

Cray
11-21-2012, 10:54 PM
That's it Wibur. Thanks

rducks123
11-21-2012, 11:02 PM
And I give credit to Cray for sharing this with me, do it 100% of the time and my improved catch ratio is the same. Fish by myself alot, sometimes you can be looking staight at the pole and never see it move but will here the "tick" of the bead, find that it puts you on alert, very effective. Thanks Cray for sharing my friend.

Me too!

CrappiePappy
11-22-2012, 06:05 AM

Actually, his site name is WISKERS !!

... cp :kewl

RiceRocket
11-22-2012, 10:12 AM
What a Great Idea RR

HalAC
11-22-2012, 11:17 AM
Glass or plastic? I think glass would work better as it would click a bit sharper.

Rees Guide
11-22-2012, 12:12 PM
I use plastic but bet you are rite. Also everyone down this way is hung up on painted pole ends, yellow or orange. I can see the beads better than I can the poles painted as far as the bite. Just a good idea all the way around, now I wish someone would come up with a small baitcaster with a thumbar for a cheap price.

muzzy125acc
11-22-2012, 12:21 PM
I use 16' poles where should I put the bead?

Sent from a Droid.

Rees Guide
11-22-2012, 12:53 PM
At the tip between the tip and the first guide.

Cray
11-22-2012, 01:40 PM
Glass or plastic? I think glass would work better as it would click a bit sharper.
I tried them and they didn't work as well as the plastic. Also found faceted beads didn't work as well as round.

Cray
11-22-2012, 01:44 PM
I use 16' poles where should I put the bead?

Sent from a Droid.
Muzzy I put mine between the first guide from tip and next guide or second and third on PST. On Pinnacals with softer tip found it works better between tip and first guide. I think the difference may be the height of guide off pole. Try a couple each way and see which works better for you.

RetiredRR
11-22-2012, 02:41 PM
Does the bead just slide up and down the line or is it stabilized someway?

Rees Guide
11-22-2012, 02:54 PM
They slide on the line, I like em all the way to the tip. Just pull the line in a little bit with your hand and release and the bead will rest at the end of the pole. Cant tell you how many fesh this little tip has helped me catch in the last couple of months.

hunter7711
11-22-2012, 04:55 PM
Sounds like a good idea, but I'm hard of hearing so wouldn't help me.:rolleyes: As many times as ScottV and I broke off the craft store probably didn't stock enough.
Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Cray
11-22-2012, 05:00 PM
Sounds like a good idea, but I'm hard of hearing so wouldn't help me.:rolleyes: As many times as ScottV and I broke off the craft store probably didn't stock enough.
Hunter you might be surprised, I am also very hard hearing from being around those big diesel engines all my life and I can hear them quite well.

"G"
11-22-2012, 05:31 PM
I was kinda thinking like Hunter as I do not hear well either........but I am still going to try it. OK...Round plastic beads you say work the best. What size?

hunter7711
11-22-2012, 05:54 PM
Talked me into trying it.

cousinlll
11-22-2012, 07:27 PM
:hesaid +1 I'm curious to see if it works! Thanks for the tip....

Cray
11-22-2012, 08:28 PM
I was kinda thinking like Hunter as I do not hear well either........but I am still going to try it. OK...Round plastic beads you say work the best. What size?
About 1/4in is what I use. The smaller will work also just seems larger are louder to me. I found a pack at WMart or bass pro with assorted sizes and just picked the larger one.

Rees Guide
11-22-2012, 10:11 PM
You will be able to hear em I think, I can hear it over the tunes playing, livewell pump running, and a partner sometimes. It will surprise you, if you are using baitcasters too you will be able to see the tips better as well so its a win win.

ricky
11-23-2012, 03:36 PM
I have also found that they will twirl around and tangle sometimes. Most of the time it will untangle itself but if you fish deep enough that you have to reel... beware.

NeonMoon
11-23-2012, 03:42 PM
Neat idea, and can see how it would work. How 'bout you 1st time users give us an update after you give it a try.

skiptomylu
11-23-2012, 05:20 PM
Have any of you tried them long-lining? I bet it would work for when you use your rod holder. I usually hold it when doing this, but there are always times I stick the rod in the holder too even if just to do something and surely it would help tell you of a strike then. Seems like a really good idea!

Rees Guide
11-23-2012, 07:39 PM
I have also found that they will twirl around and tangle sometimes. Most of the time it will untangle itself but if you fish deep enough that you have to reel... beware.
Sure does but unless you are fishing shallow its not too bad, fishing shallow and set the hook on a miss and it will do it almost eveytime.

Donald@CrappieLogic
11-23-2012, 07:46 PM
hey guys it really works went with rees and heard more bites than we saw of course it cant hurt either :twocents

DroptineJoe
11-24-2012, 09:26 AM
Great ideal, I'll give it a try!!!!:biggrin

slimeyslab
11-24-2012, 11:23 AM
You will be able to hear em I think, I can hear it over the tunes playing, livewell pump running, and a partner sometimes. It will surprise you, if you are using baitcasters too you will be able to see the tips better as well so its a win win.

How does a bait cast reel help you see your rod tip better than with a spinning reel?

Rees Guide
11-24-2012, 12:29 PM
Helps see the red bead better at the tip, with the baitcaster the bead is up and more visible.

NeonMoon
11-24-2012, 02:00 PM
Just got back from the Dam Store, picked-up some beads (as well as some Gnats). Now all I gotta do is wait for the big brown truck to deliver the new gear :fish I'll be anxious to rig 'em up and see how they do (lol, the beads, I already know the Gnats work!).

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo184/SkoolWheelz/TripsandCamping/2012/IM004631.jpg

slimeyslab
11-24-2012, 02:18 PM
Just got back from the Dam Store, picked-up some beads (as well as some Gnats). Now all I gotta do is wait for the big brown truck to deliver the new gear :fish I'll be anxious to rig 'em up and see how they do (lol, the beads, I already know the Gnats work!).

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo184/SkoolWheelz/TripsandCamping/2012/IM004631.jpg

Man be careful ifn you planin on going out in your kayak. Gear looks good!

NeonMoon
11-24-2012, 02:56 PM
Thanks, and will do, but I'm stickin' to the lower lake in the kayak! :Rofl