Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caught a bunch of Bass this afternoon.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Caught a bunch of Bass this afternoon.

The wife and I were out in the yard this afternoon and I noticed hundreds of Dragonflies skimming the community center yard looking for mosquitoes. I told my wife that I was going down to the pond for a quick fishing trip. I grabbed my fly rod and half a dozen adult Dragonfly flies and headed out. I got down to the pond and the Bass were blowing up all over the pond. I tied a Dragonfly on and then casted it out. Wasn't a few seconds before a Bass nailed it. I fished for a pretty good while and caught several nice 1 pound to 3 pound Bass. I love it when the Dragonflies are active and the Bass are taking them. Out of all of the fishing I do I would have to say Bass on Dragonflies are about my favorite. You get some really explosives strikes.
    Let Em' Land!

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

This better? Have fun fishin
    Last edited by chaunc; 07-05-2006 at 12:15 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Swamp, are you using adult Dragonfly flies on the surface or are you using subsurface Dragonfly nymphs?

I use a #10 black Marabou Damselfly nymph and occasionally some #8 Dragonfly nymphs. I haven't had much luck on adult Dragon or Damsel flies. Maybe I'll give it another go :D.

I saw this adult Damselfly pattern that I might try sometime (might also work for Dragons in a larger size and a tan color):

Braided Butt Damsel
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Post Thanks / Like

Are you catching any of these on your dragonflies?

Post Thanks / Like

Boy, some fellers are sharp as tacks!

Here is the introduction to the forum:

Panfish, Bream, Brim.... However you spell it, welcome to our new Panfish Fishing forum, Sunfish, Bluegill and so on....

Now let's go visit the Wikepdeia... the free encyclopedia:

Here we have the Largemouth Bass:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Largemouth_bass

Once we get there let's see what their Scientific Classification is:

Click on ORDER. They are Perciformes. That means Pearch-Like.
    Now click on FAMILY. They are from the Centrarchidae family. These are sunfishes.
    Now click on GENUS. They are listed as Micropterus. This is a genus of freshwater fish in the sunfish family of order Perciformes. Can you believe these are Black Bass?

Now since the introduction says SUNFISH in it I figured this was the appropiate place to post what I did.

chaunc,
    Can you please come up with a classification of the Greenfish(Green Fish) Order? Please don't add your home made classification either. Oh and I bet I could wear the Bluegills out on an adult Damselfly on a fly rod. I make some inch long Adult Damselflies that are killer on Bream. Damselflies are in the same classification order as the Dragonflies...... that would be the Order: Odonata.
    Any more comments and questions on posting on this forum?

dixieangler,
    Surface all of the way!
    Mustad 3366 #1.
    I use flat foam(any color) cut in 1/8th inch wide strip.
    For the wings I use clear packing foam sheets cut in the shape of wings.
    If I could find my software to my camera I would post pics. It's a real simple tie and the fish love it. I used some really nice Dragonfly flies when I first started fishing with Dragons, but the cost of making them wasn't worth it. You get some really vicious strikes. I loose quite a few dragons each time I fish them since the hits are out of this world.
    When the Bass are hitting Dragons they will actually chase Dragons around the pond and nail them in mid air. Pretty wild action and I love it!
    Let Em' Land!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey chaunc, nice mess of bream . I've had 100 fish days on the fly rod for sure, some on black Damsel nymph flies but most on surface yellow foam pushers (similar to the Accardo "Round Dinny" type of fly), poppers, and spongy spiders. I haven't had that good of luck on Dragonfly flies though.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Post Thanks / Like

That is a nice looking mess of gills chaunc gills, will be some great eating.
    Today is a great day

Post Thanks / Like

SwampHunter, sounds like you had a good time

chaunc, that is a nice mess of fish ya got there...

Gonefission
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ribit
    That is a nice looking mess of gills chaunc gills, will be some great eating.
    Got most of them on my fly rod with a foam spider. Some on a plastic mousie too. (ice fly) Great fun watching them come up and smash that spider and they cooked up real nice too.
    Last edited by chaunc; 07-04-2006 at 10:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Man that looks good. Lots of fun catching them that way. I have a few gills in the freezer just about as soon to have a plate of gills as anything. that Lund is a good ride. I have used a plastic cricket on a fly rod let the good times begin. lol
    Today is a great day

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast