Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: question- tips on deep water bream fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Default question- tips on deep water bream fishing

hey all,

do you guys have any hints on catching bream deep? like 25 feet? there are reports on my lake of some doozies that deep.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's my method ... bream are grouped by size so when you catch one - go deeper for his cousin. Sometimes deeper means further from the bank, sometimes it means get the bait down past the smaller ones and into the lips of the bigger ones. Hope that helps.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with TampaJim. You might try adding some weight if you want to get down past the smaller ones if you are not getting any large ones shallower in the water column without weight.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Big Quachita Bream

Hey there Fisher, I have a friend that I work with that lives at Buckville. He told me how he catches those big summertime bream. He goes out and finds humps or underwater islands that are 20 foot or so deep and surrounded by deep water on all sides.

He drops anchor right on top of the hump. He takes his ultralight rod and has a cricket hook with a split shot a few inches above it and cast it towards deep water. He prefers to put 2 crickets at a time on the hook and he does not use a bobber.

Once it hits the side of the drop all he does is slowly reel it up the side of the hump until he is fishing the top of the hump. He can fish all the way around the boat with this method.

He hasn't done it much this year but he filleted 25 big bream the other day and they filled up a quart Zip-loc bag!
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

I have lots of luck on Ouachita finding long skinny pockets that look like old creek beds. I like to fish at about 20-30 and sometimes 40 feet with a cricket and split shot, no bobber. I like the steep areas close to the bank. Areas that are not ten yards from the bank around standing timber. It is always great even when the spawn is on.

Post Thanks / Like

During the winter out here in California I fished for Crappie and Bream in about 50-65 ft of water. I did a technique the call cannon balling. Tie about 3 or 4 jigs onto your line and let them fall. You'll hit a few different depths and quiet a few times hook up with more then just one nice fish. I also tipped the jigs with wax worms or meal worms.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Here's the method that works for me...use a cigar-shaped slip bobber on 6-lb test line with a split shot about 10 inches above a number 8 aberdeen hook with a cricket hooked thru the anus...toss it out, wait till the line goes slack when the split shot hits bottom, then reel in enuff line to watch it move when the fish grabs the bait...yesterday I caught one using this method that weighed over a pound...most had swallowed the hook, which is to be expected when you use this method of "tightlining"...good luck to ya...

Bushrod

Post Thanks / Like

if the bream ya referrin to are 'crackers ya mite do better usin bout 1/3 of a nite crawler on that split shot rig. rocky points and shell beds seem to atrack'em round here...the deeper ya go , the bigger they get!