Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Your Summer Methods

NCmplnts Guest

Default Your Summer Methods

We are in the hot and long summer days. I would like to know what is everyone using to catch crappies in the summer time? What time of the day and where at on the lake also? Any advice will be very helpful too me and too everyone else. Thanks!

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

hot sommer dayes i stay at home:D 2 blood preasur pills a day i can`t handle the heat like i use to .
    i would fish at night or fish under a bridge where there is a shade . mainley in deep water or on the edge of channel drop off . look on the channel edge for brush or stumps with fish suspended over t5he top .crappie will bite slow . some times you onley see a cork move when they turn it loose . tight linning is s good way . use a heavy sinker and slow troll about 1 to 2 ft. from the botton . put the sinker on bottom with a drop about 1 ft. above .set several at differen`t depths . when you catch a fish on one moove them all close to that depth . if a line mooves at all pull it as the bite will be soft.
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

Great advice. That will put fish on the table. Night time fishing in a slow current under a bridge. Or close to a dam under permament lights. It's been my experience that summer-time Crappie like areas where there is a spring or a current and some deep water.

Post Thanks / Like

I fishem Early, Hard, and Deep, Then get out before dinner

Post Thanks / Like

I been using a bubble gum pink 1/16 oz jig with a grey or black grub tail on it. I'm fishing weed beds in 10-12" of water. With polarized glasses I can see well enough to reel the jig over the weeds and let it drop into the pockets. The crappie are hitting the jig while it drops. Super-fun! I begin at sun-up and quit by noon. Works for me.

regards,
    Buckmark.

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappieLips
    I fishem Early, Hard, and Deep, Then get out before dinner
    that is my method. sometimes ya can leave after breakfast..

If you do fish mid day...shoot docks..they are there on most lakes

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

We have been catching them in the heat of the day by casting jigs. Most of our fish have been caught in open water with little or no cover. Been in 15-20 feet of water from the bottom to within about 8 feet of the surface. We have also been getting them on brush in about 10-12 feet of water. This has been in 90 degree + temps.
    To make life enjoyable, you must have crappie days.

Post Thanks / Like

Early and late>>>> 1/16 oz. jigs with chart. combos. Countdown method[avg. 12-18 ft.],Slow Steady retreive. Stick-ups, Laydowns,condos,Humps, weedbeds,Ect.
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

Post Thanks / Like

I like to get out there nice and early so I can get out there before the drunks and heat show up. When I go I usually hit shallow road beds and fence rows. I try to focus on water around 4-8 ft deep. Normally I catch decent fish. If that doesn't work I start hitting trees with jigs or Reelfoot rigs. Start around 15-25 ft water about 8-12 ft down. Like to use rootbeer and charteuse jigs with a orange head if I'm using jigs.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave