Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Trolling Motor

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling Motor

How much thrust does it take to move a 24' toon around? I have a 30 lb motor on a Jon boat but wont get a chance for a week or 2 to get to try it out.

Post Thanks / Like

You won't be able to do much with a 30 pound thrust on a pontoon boat. If you are going to be doing much fishing, I would get a 24 volt system. About 70 pound thrust. My 2 cents worth.
    Good luck!
    Have a crappie day!:D [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I'd do what Weezer said, 24 or even 36 volt system. Here is an idea of what you want. Seems a little conservative to me.

How much thrust do I need?
    In general you want to have as much thrust as possible for the times when you run into wind and current. The rule of thumb in choosing thrust is to take the total weight of the loaded boat and divide it by 70. For example, if your boat with people and gear weighs a total of 3500 lbs you will then divide that by 70. That means that ideally you should have a motor with at least 50 lbs. of thrust. Motor Thrust Total Weight 30 lbs2100 lbs 36 lbs2520 lbs 40 lbs2800 lbs 42 lbs2940 lbs 44 lbs3080 lbs 48 lbs3360 lbs 50 lbs3500 lbs 55 lbs3850 lbs 65 lbs4550 lbs 74 lbs5180 lbs 101 lbs7070 lbs

Post Thanks / Like

I would say it is very conservative. According to that formula - my rig would need 25# of thrust - NO WAY! I have a 46# thrust and with the motor going full tilt, I can barely get out of my own way going into a strong wind.

Buy more than you need, you can always run the motor slower - it definitely won't go any faster after you spend your money.

Post Thanks / Like

Power! Need more Power! Tim Allen is right you can NEVER have enough power. Buy the biggest motor you can afford, them save up some more money and get a bigger one.

My Triton 1653SS has a 40# thrust and in the wind in the river current sometimes it ain't enough.

And go ahead and get a battery switch and have extra batteries on board, because you will run down a set.

Must be the boy scout in me............ be prepared! Because the worst is going to happen.:D

No really a big ole pontoon boat with all that weight and surface area, go ahead and go for the 36 volt, you won't regret it, especially when you need it the most.

john
    Chuck the aggrivating stuff.......... Just go Fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

Got a buddy that has a 26ft toon.He has a 24 volt 70# thrust and it does right fine even in the wind.