Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PFD or life jacket

Post Thanks / Like

Default PFD or life jacket

Can my fellow crappie.com members please suggest a couple of good life jackets for me for my situation. Give me the exact name and location to buy it if you can.

I mainly fish during the winter when it is really cold. I wear about 2 or 3 layers of clothes and then coveralls over those. I weigh about 220 pounds. I want something that will keep me afloat with that much clothing on. I want something that will be as comfortable as can be expected that wont interfere as much with fishing. Something that will fit over the coveralls. I know that is a lot to ask but if you know of anything close to this please let me know.

Also my wife will be going with me some too but not so much in the colder weather, what would be good for her?

Gander MTN has a type 1 item#79762 that I thought would work good. If any of you have it can you give me a review on it and tell me whether it will work or not. Thanks in advance

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't recommend any one jacket you just need one that fits comfortable. I have an opinion it's just mine but makes me feel safer. I always put on pants and shirt over long johns when it is cold enough then I put on life jacket. Then I layer over the jacket. If for some reason I end up in the water I want a fighting chance to shed some of the excess gear so I can maneuver better. Also I have tried it both ways and found it to be more comfortable that way also. And I understand your delima because I weigh 235 and most is in my middle. Makes it hard to find one that fits comfortable. I use one of the higher end jackets from bass pro with the flotation collar on it. Only use it when it gets cold. Warm weather use an inflatable. Hope this helps some. The most important thing is trying them for you and your wife. They are almost useless if the don't fit properly.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

CS, I have a Mustang PFD Model # MD3183. It is the hydrostatic activated type.
    It is light weight and comfortable. It buckles on your chest and when you get it adjusted it is easy on and easy off. I like you fish in the winter and wanted a vest that I would wear all day.
    I have worn this on for going on my second winter and am very pleased with it.
    I weigh around 265. When I bought it I was over 300. You can go to Mustang's website and look at them.
    Hope this helps
    Take you kids fishing today!!! They will be grown (and married and have children of their on) tomorrow. Then you can take your GRANDKIDS!
    Podunkideas Pro Staff
    Cornfield Crappie Gear Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Look at some of the kayak/canoe type pfd. They are cut rooming for paddling, yet fit well. yeah they are pricy but the comfort and good fit are worth it, IMO. Stholquist, Kokatat, NRS, Extrasport, Palm, Astral are some brand names. ps I am 235 lb and wear mine anytime air and water temps don't add up to 120 (I fish mostly by myself).

Post Thanks / Like

I thought about the shedding clothes thing. The boater safety course says layer clothing to keep the body warm so I did not know if I should try to wear it directly over all clothes or place it over my clothes and then my coveralls over the life jacket. The reason I was thinking about the type 1 is because it is the one that rolls you to an upright position in case you get knocked unconscious. Buffalo13 how much did you pay for this model Mustang PFD Model # MD3183 and does it activate on its own or do you have o pull a cord? I think I want one that will work if I am unable to pull a cord.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I wear my standard type PFD just for the reason that it will roll you upright and when wearing under those clothes it helps insulate the core around the Heart where you need it most.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappieseeker View Post
    I thought about the shedding clothes thing. The boater safety course says layer clothing to keep the body warm so I did not know if I should try to wear it directly over all clothes or place it over my clothes and then my coveralls over the life jacket. The reason I was thinking about the type 1 is because it is the one that rolls you to an upright position in case you get knocked unconscious. Buffalo13 how much did you pay for this model Mustang PFD Model # MD3183 and does it activate on its own or do you have o pull a cord? I think I want one that will work if I am unable to pull a cord.
    The one he is talking about is both auto and manual. The ones with the hydrostatic activation are the high end ones that have to be submerged (not sure of required depth) in water prior to activating. The less expensive models only have to get wet and I have heard bad reviews for some here in the humid South during the summer months. Many claim they will activate if you leave them stored in the boat or get caught in a heavy rain.

You may want to consider one like this, although this specific one isn't Type I they may make these in Type one. Cabela's: Mustang Floater Coat™

I wouldn't be too concerned with your weight or the amount of clothes you wear, as life jackets won't support things that aren't buoyant like a human. Although you have on a lot of clothes, most are extremely light in actual weight.
    It is not what you do for your children, but what you have taught them to do for themselves, that will make them successful human beings.
    –Ann Landers

Post Thanks / Like

tigerfanatic1 the reason I worried about the clothes is because they soak up so much water and add weight. Now being that I do not have to much scientific sense I am not sure if the clothes in the water add weight to the body since they are in the water themselves. I do not know the science of it. I just know that when I pull wet clothes out of the washer they are heavy lol. Cray, I did not think a standard one would roll you upright. I thought the boater safety course said only a Type 1 would do that, so i did not know.

Post Thanks / Like

tigerfanatic I like that coat where can I find a type 1 in that?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappieseeker View Post
    tigerfanatic1 the reason I worried about the clothes is because they soak up so much water and add weight. Now being that I do not have to much scientific sense I am not sure if the clothes in the water add weight to the body since they are in the water themselves. I do not know the science of it. I just know that when I pull wet clothes out of the washer they are heavy lol. Cray, I did not think a standard one would roll you upright. I thought the boater safety course said only a Type 1 would do that, so i did not know.
    Type I will "usually will turn an unconscious person face up" and Type II will "many will turn an unconscious person face-up in the water". Another benefit to Type I is that they are more buoyant. USCG PFD Categories - Types I-V

Also, I am not sure on whether or not they make the "coat floats" in Type I, but I will look around and report back if I see one.
    It is not what you do for your children, but what you have taught them to do for themselves, that will make them successful human beings.
    –Ann Landers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast