Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Handicapped trailer step... update

Post Thanks / Like

Default Handicapped trailer step... update

I posted about this several weeks ago and received some mighty fine responses. Thanks for all the help.

I purchased 2 steps from Cabelas and they work OK but I think they were too expensive for what they are ($75 ea.). I was in Harbor Freight Tools the other day and bought a spare tire carrier that bolts onto the side of the trailer's frame. While I was bolting it on the trailer, it occurred to me that if you mounted it on top of the frame instead of the side, and added a piece of 2X8 covered with carpet, it would be the perfect height to use as a step.

Going further, if you took two (or more) of those carriers, you could have a walkway however long you wanted! The price is also very attractive. I had a coupon and paid less than $15! For less than $20 and a piece of scrap 2X?, you can have a step that is sturdy enough for even an old fat fart like me.

The height may not work with your outfit but turns out it is perfect for mine.
    Last edited by ibfestus; 11-14-2012 at 05:46 PM. Reason: punctuation/spellin'

Post Thanks / Like

pics?
    CRAPPIE fishing is not a sport, its a way of life!

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

pictures please
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

yeah pics please, ive seen this older man in a bass boat that it takes all hes got to get in or outta his boat and id like to do this for him. i dont even know his name but for some reason he thinks my name is wilson... lol. when im fishing close to the boat ramp and see him drive up i make my way to the shore and he aalways greets me the same old way, " hey wilson whatcha want" and i always tell him that i want him to get in his boat safely and ill back him in the water and he says yep same story just a different day. it just puts a smile on my face to see that guy pullin in a nice slab
    "my wife" crappie fishing is a jerk on one end waiting for a jerk on the other."

pullin they're heads up, ears and all

Post Thanks / Like

Contact Terry at Cumberland Crappie (606) 425-7151 He can help you out with a step.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry guys but as I said, I put the Cabela's step on my trailer and used the spare tire carrier as a spare tire carrier. I could post a pic of the spare tire on the trailer... but I'm not sure that would help. Here is a link to the one Cabela's sells. Just imagine what it would look like if you mounted it on top of the frame and instead of a tire you bolted a carpeted 2X6 step where the tire would be. Simple... right?

Cabela's: Trailer Spare Tire CarrierName:  Spare002.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  82.9 KB
    Last edited by ibfestus; 11-14-2012 at 08:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have two of the Cabelas $75 steps, one on each boat trailer, and yes they are expensive for what they are but they are extremely well built and the finish appears to be very durable. I am happy with mine. Also have the Cabelas spare tire carrier.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Cabelas step as well and it works fine. I receive nice comments about it all the time when folks at the ramp see me trailering my Deep V by myself and NEVER get my feet wet.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM TWEENER!
    Member of Tri-State Crappie Anglers

Post Thanks / Like

C,mon Yikess you aint foolin no one, We all know you can walk on water.

MEMBER CRAPPIE MAFIA

Post Thanks / Like

Shhhhhh, Wilber we're talking steps here not my water walking.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM TWEENER!
    Member of Tri-State Crappie Anglers