Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sit on Top outriggers - Questions

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sit on Top outriggers - Questions

I'm looking to add some stability to my kayak for the upcoming hunting season (ducks) and was hoping to maybe bring along my dog. She is 75lbs and loves the water so I'll need to be able to work with her in the kayak and hopefully stay out of the water myself. Anyone have any good ideas of how to make an outrigger work on a SOT kayak or how successful it would be? I've looked at a few ideas but I'm hoping to bring some more out of the wood work.

Thanks,
    Greg
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a picture of her in the rear cargo hold.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I have about finished the set for my SOT and I will get you some pics of it asap. Not a lot to building a set. I'm using bottles for the floats right now but will replace them with crab cage floats. You can order a set of 4 that are 5x16 with a 7/8'' hold in the center that pvc will fit into for around $40. Was going to order some this week but walked into Academy today and they had the Pelican Pulse 100X on sale for 129.99 down from 199.99 so now I have one :rolleyes:
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

Go to Google Images, and search "Kayak Outriggers".....lotsa pics.
    Apple Pie ProStaff

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is the set I built. I used flag pole holder to mount onto the kayak as they adjust and you have a screw to tighten onto the 3/4 PVC pipe. I have two sections of arms, one is 12'' long and one is 24'' long. I hope the shorter one work so they will be inside of the paddle stroke. I used a elbow and a 4'' section to drop down to a 3/4 tee. The bottles tops are files a little to fit into the tee's and then sealed and glued into place. I did fill these bottles with expanding foam, had to put some small holes into the bottles to let the air out and then sealed the holes before painting them white. Total cost is close to $28 for the set. Hope these helps you.

Name:  out riggers 002.jpg
Views: 4047
Size:  29.8 KBName:  out riggers 001.jpg
Views: 4439
Size:  32.6 KBName:  out riggers 003.jpg
Views: 7548
Size:  58.4 KBName:  out riggers 006.jpg
Views: 31489
Size:  45.2 KBName:  out riggers 004.jpg
Views: 4060
Size:  59.1 KBName:  out riggers 008.jpg
Views: 8979
Size:  57.7 KB

Post Thanks / Like

looking good so far, definately paying attention to the details.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Those look great SH, you're gettin' er rigged-out for sure!

I'd just be afraid of something snapping, right at the point I "needed" it. In a seated position, it's 40" to the top of my melon, so I carry a lot of upper body weight. Add that to a 36" inseam, mix in some stumps and wind

After winter's over, I might have to do some head-scratchin' on some outriggers, so I can launch an assault on RF next year. Something like yours (easy on/off). Maybe extruded aluminum?

You could get a couple 3/4"X1.25" reducing couplings, add a bit of pipe to each end, and use the outrigger mounts for extra rod holders when the outriggers weren't being used.
    Apple Pie ProStaff

Post Thanks / Like

Paddle storkes do matter, and it looks like you too have been scratchin' your head. Clean lookin' and well detailed work. Hope it will stand up to the
    rigors of fishin' for you.
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"

Post Thanks / Like

Stump Hunter

On yours I don't see an access port for getting inside to reinforce with a backing plate or something. I had thought about putting a single 3/4 conduit bar across the back and attaching boat fenders. Would be fairly cheap +- 20 dollars or so. But I'm concerned about putting stress on the hull. I guess I could cut an access port but that opens up a lot more potential issues.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Predator130 View Post
    Stump Hunter

On yours I don't see an access port for getting inside to reinforce with a backing plate or something. I had thought about putting a single 3/4 conduit bar across the back and attaching boat fenders. Would be fairly cheap +- 20 dollars or so. But I'm concerned about putting stress on the hull. I guess I could cut an access port but that opens up a lot more potential issues.
    My SOT kayak is 1/4'' thick so I'm not worried about a backing plate. My set in kayak is thin so I will put a backing plate on the outriggers when I put them on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast