Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help A Newcomer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help A Newcomer

hi everyone, i really like the community here. i usually fish for trout, salmon, and catfish. yesterday i went out to the boat launch around here in northern california and i seen people catching crappie with little jigs. some of them had 2 jigs on 1 line. i am very interested in starting to fish for crappie, but i know nothing about it. would anybody please give me any tips and how to even setup my line? do i tie the line straight to the jig head? use a swivel? i also seen some of them having a bobber while they were reeling in. please help me, thanx

Post Thanks / Like

Go get yourself some slip floats and float stops. Rig that to your line then tie the jigs directly to the line. When you tie the jigs to your line use a palomar knot. If you want to use two tie two of them on there with palomar knots. Also don't use to heavy of a rod or line. For jighead size i wouls use 1/16 or 1/32 oz. Use the lightest jig you can get away with without losing the feeling of the jig. Don't be afraid to experiement with different colors too. Hope this works for ya.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome aboard vtgunner. Look on the Louisianna board at Slab Hunters vidio, he's using 4 jigs but you'll get the idea and a technique...izzy

Post Thanks / Like

thanx alot guys, i'm planning on going 3 days straight startign tommorrow. i need to learn as much as i can asap. lol should i put any weight if im using a jig?

Post Thanks / Like

Should'nt have to, gunner. Grab ya some Crappie nibbles to tip your jigs with, can't hurt...izzy

Post Thanks / Like

is crappy nibbles like powerbait? and do i jus put that on the hook so its covered?

Post Thanks / Like

and also to add. i am fishing off the shore at the boat launch near the docks. around it is land and there is rocks in the water, so i am jigging from the shore

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vtgunner
    hi everyone, i really like the community here. i usually fish for trout, salmon, and catfish. yesterday i went out to the boat launch around here in northern california and i seen people catching crappie with little jigs. some of them had 2 jigs on 1 line. i am very interested in starting to fish for crappie, but i know nothing about it. would anybody please give me any tips and how to even setup my line? do i tie the line straight to the jig head? use a swivel? i also seen some of them having a bobber while they were reeling in. please help me, thanx
    Hi vtgunner and welcome. Yes you can tie the jig direct to your line or you can use a little clip like I use a lot called a No-knot snap or something like that. Bass Pro has them but jannsnetcraft has them a little cheaper. Not sure they call them by the same name though. I like them because it's made of spring steel and you just clip one on and if you want to change just pop it off and the other on.

As for jig fishing, fish slow, don't jig it around too much. I am sure you will get a lot more info here.

Good luck,
    Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

thanx alot guys. i went out and bought a smaller ugly stick and a bunch of crappie jigs, various colors and some identical as in skiptomylu's signature. now i just need to learn how to put like 4 jigs on the same line. i am off to search the forum. lol thanx for all the tips guys, keep them comin

Post Thanks / Like

If i were you I would start off with one or two jigs before you start trying to use more than that. Plus you are in California you might want to check the rules out here. The laws out here are all out different then anywhere else. I have gotten away with two with out anybody saying anything. So be carefull.

Good luck and if you catch any send some pics. What body of water are you fishing.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast