Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Spider rigging adventures.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spider rigging adventures.

So this weekend was the big test for me and my spider rigging adventures. I got the boat setup with a driftmaster 250 T bar and some 12 foot pinnacle rods.Name:  Spider.jpg
Views: 1007
Size:  102.2 KB

On the end of these rods I have a 3/8 ounce barrel sinker a swivel and then about 1 1/2 to 2 feet leader with 2 tubes tied on about 10 inches apart.

I wanted to stop by here and just thank everyone for the help the past week or so answering all my questions related to spider rigging. After using it for the past 4 days it has been an extremely fun experience. I caught all kinds of fish off this rig from a 22 inch chain pickeral, to largemout to just a ton of crappies.

I cannot believe that these fish will hit so close to the boat just by slow trolling all over the lake. All I had to do was sit my fat butt down on my seat, troll around at an extremely slow speed and eat sunflower seeds while watching the rods. It was extremely cool to do this, IM HOOKED!

So now that I have some time under my belt ( 4 days lol) I have a few questions.

1. Eventually the rod holders on that driftmaster 250 eventually start sliding the rod forward into the water even when tightening the wing nut with a pair of pliers, how do you all stop this from doing that?

2. I wanted to order another T bar for the back of the boat but can you "push and pull" at the same time?

Thanks again for all the people on this board, this spider rigging stuff sure is a blast.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Try loosening the wing nut a little then tighten the opposite screw just a little. Then try tighteng the wing nut again. It could be that clamp is really not tightening like it seems with wing nut. If you look at clamp you will see what I am talking about. Yes you can push and pull at same time. I fish from a stick steer and anyone that fishes with me fishes from side or rear of boat. Most times they catch as many as I do.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Good job!! Thanks for posting!!!
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do."
    Izaak Walton, 1653

Post Thanks / Like

Buy Hi Tecks
    TOO MANY IDIOTS TO FEW BULLETS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big H trucking View Post
    Buy Hi Tecks
    Yep, what he said... LOL!! May have to replace the wingnut with a regular nut on the Driftmasters.
    Scott Echols
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Crazy Angler Tackle

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big H trucking View Post
    Buy Hi Tecks

Post Thanks / Like

I myself hardly catch any from the back compared to the front. I think the boat spooks em. I have some mounted just behind the front seats, two on each side and they do pretty good.

MEMBER CRAPPIE MAFIA

Yadkin Guide is offline Crappie Wall Hanger * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

When using Driftmaster clamp bases, make sure the top and bottom pieces are about the same space apart. In other words the nut side and the wing nut side should be as equal as possible. It really helps to replace the wing nut with a regular nut. Wing nuts are actually very hard to tighten. I regularly use Driftmaster clamps on round rails for striped bass and catfish as well as crappie. I love them. You bought the right thing.

Post Thanks / Like

When I rigged down in AR, my buddy fishing the back only set rods out to each side of the boat, never in line with the boat. If I missed one up front he just about every time would get bites 5-10 seconds after.
    The best way to get to where you want to be in the future is to act like you are there TODAY.