Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where do I begin

Post Thanks / Like

Default Where do I begin

Now that I have my reels and new poles on the way where does one start when it comes to the endless choices of crappie tackle? I live in NC, obviously in fall going into winter.
    What are the gotta have items for the type of fishing that's best for this time of year?

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I fish slow with very little movement over deep brushpiles. I use 1/16 and 1/8 heads and Bobby Garland Baby Shad bodies. Colors change in different areas, but something with contrasting colors, like a Blue thunder or crystal should get you started. Good luck, I have lots of fun and no one is on the water so go prepared.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

X2 start off fishing very slow. Take your time and just when you don't expect it thump and its a good en
    "my wife" crappie fishing is a jerk on one end waiting for a jerk on the other."

pullin they're heads up, ears and all

Post Thanks / Like

You can also locate them with a Road Runner fished very slow.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 11-13-2012 at 08:18 AM.

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

Post Thanks / Like

Slow, slow, slow with a fat minnow. Artificial baits are made to catch fishermen.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

as already been said ,slow to holding still and not many baits are need. the bgss is a good choice and as for color ,depends on the lake but I fish Kerr most of the time and 95% of the time I just use white. Feelay, I can tell that you must not know how to fish a jig,when one mastered a jig ,one rod to one rod , it will be rare to beat him
    God Demonstrated his love for us. Romans 5:8

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by genec View Post
    Feelay, I can tell that you must not know how to fish a jig,when one mastered a jig ,one rod to one rod , it will be rare to beat him
    That's funny right there! I use jigs on occasion, mostly when single poling. Lots of stained and muddy water here. Day in and day out the minnow is going to out fish the jig. There are days when the color of a jig does better.

The man asked "where do I begin", to me that means a hook and minnow. I use many methods and baits, but hook and minnow is the most basic and successfull place to start in my opinion.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

I have an understanding of live bait fishing, I guess I am looking for info into where to begin with artificial tackle being there is a ton of name brands and options.

Post Thanks / Like

Funny thing is that crappie eat minnows everyday of their life to survive. When they start eating plastics everyday I will quit taking minnows with me Heck Feelay, you barely fish and catch enough to see the difference anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ageless View Post
    I have an understanding of live bait fishing, I guess I am looking for info into where to begin with artificial tackle being there is a ton of name brands and options.
    That is what I meant when I said tackle is made to catch fishermen. Everything out there will catch a fish under the right circumstances. Get you an assortment of tubes and plastics in various colors and styles, maybe some custom hand tied hair jigs and jigheads of different weights and start fishing. You'll figure out what works for you soon enough. Talk to guys that fish your home waters and ask them what works there. I could reccomend what I like to use, but what works in MS may or may not work in NC. Good luck and good fishing.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast