PDA

View Full Version : Where do I begin

ageless
11-12-2012, 11:05 PM
Now that I have my reels and new poles on the way where does one start when it comes to the endless choices of crappie tackle? I live in NC, obviously in fall going into winter.
What are the gotta have items for the type of fishing that's best for this time of year?

skeetbum
11-12-2012, 11:28 PM
I fish slow with very little movement over deep brushpiles. I use 1/16 and 1/8 heads and Bobby Garland Baby Shad bodies. Colors change in different areas, but something with contrasting colors, like a Blue thunder or crystal should get you started. Good luck, I have lots of fun and no one is on the water so go prepared.

bwomack_29
11-13-2012, 07:05 AM
X2 start off fishing very slow. Take your time and just when you don't expect it thump and its a good en

Blackhawk19
11-13-2012, 07:20 AM
You can also locate them with a Road Runner fished very slow.

feelay
11-13-2012, 10:08 AM
Slow, slow, slow with a fat minnow. Artificial baits are made to catch fishermen. ;)

genec
11-13-2012, 05:27 PM
as already been said ,slow to holding still and not many baits are need. the bgss is a good choice and as for color ,depends on the lake but I fish Kerr most of the time and 95% of the time I just use white. Feelay, I can tell that you must not know how to fish a jig,when one mastered a jig ,one rod to one rod , it will be rare to beat him

feelay
11-13-2012, 05:40 PM
Feelay, I can tell that you must not know how to fish a jig,when one mastered a jig ,one rod to one rod , it will be rare to beat him

That's funny right there! I use jigs on occasion, mostly when single poling. Lots of stained and muddy water here. Day in and day out the minnow is going to out fish the jig. There are days when the color of a jig does better.

The man asked "where do I begin", to me that means a hook and minnow. I use many methods and baits, but hook and minnow is the most basic and successfull place to start in my opinion.

ageless
11-13-2012, 06:11 PM
I have an understanding of live bait fishing, I guess I am looking for info into where to begin with artificial tackle being there is a ton of name brands and options.

Handicrappie
11-13-2012, 06:34 PM
Funny thing is that crappie eat minnows everyday of their life to survive. When they start eating plastics everyday I will quit taking minnows with me:) Heck Feelay, you barely fish and catch enough to see the difference anyway:):):):):):)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

feelay
11-13-2012, 08:21 PM
I have an understanding of live bait fishing, I guess I am looking for info into where to begin with artificial tackle being there is a ton of name brands and options.

That is what I meant when I said tackle is made to catch fishermen. Everything out there will catch a fish under the right circumstances. Get you an assortment of tubes and plastics in various colors and styles, maybe some custom hand tied hair jigs and jigheads of different weights and start fishing. You'll figure out what works for you soon enough. Talk to guys that fish your home waters and ask them what works there. I could reccomend what I like to use, but what works in MS may or may not work in NC. Good luck and good fishing.

eatinfish
11-13-2012, 08:38 PM
Go to Wally World, which "I dis-like" and get some Gamagatsu jigs w/red hooks, 1/8 oz. Go to Bass-Pro and get some tube jigs, I like and they perform well, aqua-green body w/orange tails. Drop them in any cover ie (tied to a rod(B&M) and spooled to a cheap (B&M) reel, logs and fallen tree tops 8' to 12' deep water and have fun!

monkscrappie
11-13-2012, 09:12 PM
I have everthing you need to catch Crappie in NC!

Monk Monk's Crappie (http://monkscrappie.com)