Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Big Fish: Small Fish

Post Thanks / Like

Default Big Fish: Small Fish

Today I fished a local lake. I've fished it with pretty consistent results most of this fall. However today, i couldnt find keeper size fish. I know it's the day after a cold front, and a few days away from a new moon, but, the smaller fish didn't seem to mind. So my question is: If you're consistently catching smaller fish in area: Does that mean that there is not bigger fish there ? Does it mean bigger fish aren't biting ? Should you change colors ? change spots ? Both ? Neither ? I mixed up colors. I tipped with minnows, I tipped with nibbles. I fished deeper, and I fished shallower. Color didn't seem to matter to the small fish. They were basically in 5-6ft of water and ready to bite. I found a few fish shallower (still small) and none deeper. Keep in mind that this area has been producing nice catches for several weeks. So, what should I have done to have caught bigger fish ? Or is there times when small fish will feed and big fish don't ? Thanks !!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arrookie View Post
    Or is there times when small fish will feed and big fish don't ? Thanks !!
    Yep. Should get better in a couple days post front.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

Fish There more before giving up. The more you're there the better chance of getting a slab.

Post Thanks / Like

I firmly believe this to be true. There are days big fish can not be PAID to bite, small ones maybe have a bigger metabolism or are not experienced to know when they HAVE to eat (ie. weather) so they eat all the time, I dont know...but there are definitely days sometimes weeks, when you would swear there isnt a decent slab in the lake. Then, suddenly, the reverse takes place. Im definitely asking God when I get to heaven about this one! lol

Post Thanks / Like

I made the original post on 11/12, which was the day after the front came through. 11/13 I went back, found the same small fish in the shallower water(2-5ft), Moved to the outer edges of the shallow water (6-9ft) and found the bite slowed tremendously but the fish were a little larger. Moved on out to a nearby stump row and a couple of brush piles (10-14ft) and left with 9 fish. The bite was extremely slow, probably fished the deep stuff for almost 3 hours to land the nine I caught but they were all bruisers avg of right at or just under 2lb fish. So, out of curiousity, I went back 11/15..... Small fish still where they had been being, the fish that had been being found in 6ft of water and on out to the deep stuff, either weren't there or were not in the mood. So... I am still perplexed on where these big fish go or the reasoning for their mood shifts. Like I said the small fish haven't changed their pattern a lick, still in same area, still being caught on essentially any color and any presentation. But the big fish seem to change on a daily basis. Anyway, that's kinda what I have found out. I'm always eager learn, but I wish the fish would teach me something rather than leave me more confused.

Post Thanks / Like

Crappie are like women, they don't know what they want. But when they want it they get it. But I agree with feelay X2
    "my wife" crappie fishing is a jerk on one end waiting for a jerk on the other."

pullin they're heads up, ears and all

Post Thanks / Like

I fished today targeting crappie with 2 inch shad and twister tales in my kayak and the first 5 hours produced 1-11" crappie and 3 average bass. We had a heavy frost this morning with temps throughout the day in the 40's but light to no wind and sunny. On my way in, which was an hour before dark(about4:10pm), I put on a white 1" tail. I caught a nice perch and within that last hour caught 12 nice crappie from 11 to 13 inches. It started to get colder, in the 30's I'd say, and dark but they were still able to chase that jig in water that cold. I was in 10 ' of water and catching them about 5 ' down. I did'nt slow down my retrieve too much or it would get muck on it from the bottom of the pond. Was I in the right place at the right time? was I using the right bait? was the water temp. were they liked it(I'm guessing in the high 30's)? Their one funny fish to try to figure out!!

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I would think the answer to the first two is yes. On your third question this is just my opinion and you know what everyone says about opinions, but I think at times it has more to do with light penetration at times. Starting to get dark when you have had a pretty bright day I think makes a big difference and wouldn't venture to guess why. I can just tell you that I have had bunches of days where I would be on fish on a clear day this time of year and not get a bite. Let a cloud come over for 10 minutes or so and go to catching fish. Cloud move and bite stop just like turning off a switch. Crappie are a conundrum if you could figure them out you would be a rich person.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

I read years ago about the "pecking order" and after some years of experience actually find some truth in it. Also, another thing I've found is the bigger fish get, the more frontal changes drive their habits. Maybe because the bigger they get the more barometric pressure effects their ability to swim, similar to birds. I think if your on the dinks, larger fish are fewer and further between, although not impossible. So move and find them, the little guys get frisky when there's nothing making them mind their manners, just like kids huh. Larger fish are also more successful hunters and even bigger opportunists, meaning they won't work as hard for a meal, they try to conserve their energy. Bigger fish also will just sit in their stalk and scrap the algal (moss) growth off their haunt, the salad bar, it's packed full of little protein goodies that will sustain them till the meat arrives. This is noticed when you clean them and they're "pooping" or digesting that brownish colored stuff. Also, it's winter and the first and last light is always the most stable, probably due to their vision which as I understand takes quite some time to adjust to light conditions. I guess this makes some sense too since they don't have eyelids. So, if your on the dinks, move. Or, if the dinks show up, move. But, just like everyone else, sometimes you just wanna get bit.
    All lakes raise a foot when I step in the boat