Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: New Rod/Reel Advice?

Colin Guest

Default New Rod/Reel Advice?

Hi everyone! If you haven't noticed, I'm brand new to the forum so if I'm doing something wrong, sorry!

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone would give me some advice on this rod/reel combo that I am thinking about purchasing. I'm just starting to get into crappie fishing and am looking for a nice, cheap beginner outfit. Here's the link to Bass Pro's description, http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...rTarget=browse

I was just wondering which rod length would be best. Any help would be appreciated!

Colin

Post Thanks / Like

I own 2 - for the money I don't think you can do any better - the rods are good and the reel is dependable enough to catch a good size fish - I have caught 5 to 7 lb catfish with mine
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I started off with the wally stuff when I first started crappie fishing. They're great rods for the money like crap-king said. I would recommend the 6'6" just for better casting. Unless you are fishing around a lot of dock or hanging branches then I would go with something smaller.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

I would go with the 6'6" ML outfit of those three choices. Soft enough for casting and long enough to jig with. BUT, if you could spend a little more I would get a 7' Wally Marshall Pro series rod with a Quantum Hypercast reel for jigging and float fishing and also buy a 5'6" Ugly Stik with a Shimano Spirex SR1000RE for casting. Having the two rod setup doubles your odds and is more fun to fish with. These outfits will give you years of hassle free service too.

Colin Guest

Thanks for the advice everyone! I really appreciate it! I'll probably stop by BPS later this week and get some goodies.

Colin