Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Transformer Spider

Post Thanks / Like

Default A Transformer Spider

I walk in to the house here in Florida and I find this big spider on the floor in front of me. The spider is in the corner next to two walls so I don't think I can stick my foot there to kill it (didn't bring my pointy toed cowboy boots). I quickly take my iPhone and smoosh it. When all the sudden, it acts like a "Transformer" and turns into what looks like hundreds of little spiders running all over the place. Freaked me out. What the heck is this. I yell out to wifey to get a napkin while I'm smooshing and smooshing. There are tons of these little suckers.

Well it turns out, it's the only spider in the world where the momma spider carries it's young around with it after they are born. They all just hang out on top of it till someone smooshes the momma, then they run like heck it seems.

It's a Wolf Spider. I guess they are plentiful down here, and are relatively harmless. Although they do get pretty darn big! I've seen them before, but I've never seen them transform into a bunch of little babies like this one did. Very freaky.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to Florida, lots of freaky things down here.............eight legged and two legged..

Post Thanks / Like

Wolf spider and they carry their young on their back and under their belly. Better to shoo em outside.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow Ed that's a pretty nasty lookin critter !!!!!! LOL

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

My wife and daughter killed one here in the house last year. Freaked them both out when all them baby's went scurrying around. Had to come up from shop and do the mop up for them. Both were feet up on the couch. Look around might find a Gecko hiding in the blinds.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

These spiders are/should be welcomed guests in your house (plus the larger "Huntsman")...
    They kill roaches and other bugs (bedbugs, cloth eating moths, beetles and other unwelcome crawlers)......
    Never be afraid of a spider, unless he don't like you ........................
    "Teach a man to fish = he can feed himself "
    "Teach the world to fish = you won't have any fish left to eat "

Post Thanks / Like

Fairly harmless, eats other bugs but the women don't like 'em.
    I've has some so big that I could hear them before I saw them.
    The finest gift you can give to any fisherman is to put a good fish back, and who knows if the fish that you caught isn't someone else's gift to you?"

Post Thanks / Like

I seen one attack a roach on the back of the sink one time that knocked a drinking glass off into the sink and broke it.
    But, he got his roach ! ! !
    "Teach a man to fish = he can feed himself "
    "Teach the world to fish = you won't have any fish left to eat "

Post Thanks / Like

I been here 1 years and have never seen or heard of it---Spooky!!!

Brooksville, FL (Originally from Terre Haute, IN.)
    Post Thanks / Like

Wait till you encounter the roaches. They live in your mulch, leaves, etc. They fly into the house when you open the door. Borax in the corners, under the sinks, etc. will help reduce them. We moved into their home, just like alligators. Welcome to Florda. You will enjoy the winter fishing.
    From Steve Wunderele - 10-2-84 --"A fishing trip maybe brief, but it's memories are endless."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast