Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me match up these reels

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help me match up these reels

SO I am a newbie to the crappie fishing world. I have been both fresh and salt water fishing all my life. I recently came across a great deal on 6 Daiwa Crossfire 1500's for $60 so I would like to match them up to some multi use rods. I live in Raleigh, NC, I'm not sure if there's a typical fishing style here but I am quite intriged by spiderrigging. I LOVE to troll, do it all time in saltwater so I'm interested in pulling crankbaits but I also like to kick back, and jig a lil when I'm on good structure. I am not looking to spend $50/rod, I know I'm cheap. I do so many dofferent types of fishing I can't buy high end stuff or I wouldn't have such a vast array of tackle. I was going to go with Pinnacle Limit rods but not sure I can pull crankbaits and jig with them as well as spiderrigging.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 11-11-2012 at 08:06 AM.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Get them best rod for the money. I've done it all with them. Little bit of bend when pulling cranks but nothing you can't live with. Great for rigging and pulling jigs. Then buy a inexpensive jig pole and your set. The Pinnacals are a little heavy for jigging very long.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

monkscrappie is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Check out the HT-Panfish!

Monk Monk's Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Both good rods, but Grizzly had BnM PSTs at a great price if they still have them.

Post Thanks / Like

Grizzly has the Pinnacle limit's, any length, $60.00 shipped for 4. I think (4) 12' and (2) 10' should cover it.
    $100.30 shipped is a pretty good deal
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 11-11-2012 at 08:07 AM. Reason: language

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ageless View Post
    Grizzly has the Pinnacle limit's, any length, $68.50 shipped. I think (4) 12' and (2) 10' should cover it
    $68.50 is for the 4! You can definitely get by with those and catch plenty of fish on a budget. What hapened to the Pinnacle Vertex rods they were much better rods?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappielimits View Post
    $68.50 is for the 4! You can definitely get by with those and catch plenty of fish on a budget. What hapened to the Pinnacle Vertex rods they were much better rods?
    My bad!! You're right $68.50 for the 4. The shipping didn't change when I added the (2) 10' ers either. The Vertex are better rods and twice as much

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Not yet mentioned are the BnM offerings. I lean towards these because replacement tips are available when one breaks. I have the Bucks graphite jig poles (BGJP) in pairs in 8, and 10', and 5 12'. Now these rods troll cranks well but are too limber to add weight as needed when pushing or deep trolling. Longline trolling is a snap with these. The west point or pst, I don't remember which, are around $25 each and though a bit heavy for jigging, do very well with the heavier duty already mentioned. I don't think there is a happy medium to do it all with one rod. The bgjp jig and do the lighter work fine, the 8' are my favorite for deep structure with braid, very sensitive. These are a few more $ but have their advantages, just wanted you to have the info. Try and get someplace to handle as many of these as you can before you buy, that's an education in itself. If you plan on jigging with a pole in your hand all day, balance is a big factor. The right rod isn't a burden in the hand , the wrong rod feels like a 2x4 after a while and then you don't feel the subtle strikes that make this game so much fun. Better make some room in the garage for a bunch of long rods, you're going to need it to keep them from being broken when not in use. I don't use mine all the time but wouldn't be without them. The reels will do just fine, remember to loosen the drag when not in use to keep from compressing the drag washers, making them sticky and unpredictable. I have several of them. Welcome from Middle Tennessee.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ageless View Post
    Grizzly has the Pinnacle limit's, any length, $60.00 shipped for 4. I think (4) 12' and (2) 10' should cover it.
    $100.30 shipped is a pretty good deal
    I get hammered for using the Pinacle limits because they are cheap but have caught alot of fish on em. Replacement tips arent a concern, just buy another rod. I use em for pulling cranks and spider rigging. Here's some of the results, even landed a 20 pound Buffalo the other day.
    The first pic is a side by side comparison with the B&M PST (on right), both have 1 ounce weights on em. The last 2 pics is a double limit that Donnie (CrappieLogic) and I caught fishing together, we also caught the 20 pounder that day as well. The rods are great for the money, spend your money on electronics.

1990 Stratos 285 Pro 200 HP Merc
    SpyderLok Rod Holders
    Proud Member of Team Watch The Finger!!!
    (662) 458-8925

Post Thanks / Like

So, now that I have the pinnacles coming I would like insight on jigging rods. What's a good length? Cherrywood? Graphite?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast