Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Spiderigging Upstream on Coosa River in Ga.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spiderigging Upstream on Coosa River in Ga.

Went yesterday 11-9 to my favorite fishing holes on the Coosa. It was a Beatiful day once the fog lifted around 10 a.m. I cant remember a more perfect day for fishing. As you get older it seems I appreciate more Mother Nature and Gods gift to everyone free for everyone to enjoy. River was clear-55-59 degrees and 4 ft. low. Went downstream apprx. 6 miles to an area that I knew had underwater structure that was not evident on surface. This area is like fishing Virgin Waters as everyone goes right by looking for surface structure to fish around. My local bait shop did not have any Crappie minnows as they had died in vat overnight. Only option I had was small Bass minnows he had in another vat. I got 4 dozen, 2 dz. in each bucket and headed to the river. The fog was so thick I could only see about 25 ft. I know this water well and I began the trip from ramp at a Idle speed until I reached a channel that I had caught fish on in years past and held some stumps and logs on side of channel. I planned to fish the old reliable way with hook sinker and float until the fog lifted more and was safe to continue to the river. The big minow was very active and I finally decided to hold the bait near the structure and confine his movement. Allmost took the rod out of my hand and first thought was a Bass but what a plesant surprise when I finally got him to surface and saw that white flash and knew I had a Slab. Didnt weight but measured out at 14 in. In 2 hrs I pulled out 3 more allmost as big as the first one. Fog lifted and I took off downstream to the area I have described earlier. My screen name may describe my way of spiderigging as I use a drop-shot rig with a 3/4 wt. on bottom of line. Put out 4 rods out front and began easing upstream over the structure bumping off and over sunken logs. Bite was slow but fish were all over 12 inches. Managed to get 11 total for the day. No dinks! Bigger Bait-Better Fish maybe this time, who knows next time. Caught a lot of young stripe and a few channel catfish. Got hung up a lot today but that goes with Crappie Fishing. They seemed to want it right in their Living Room [next to log] or they wouldnt offer. I was fishing in 10-20 ft of water constantly changing depths as necessary. I was about to release the Crappie when a gentlemen at boat ramp wanted to see my catch as he had saw me catch a few today. He was a local Fireman in a city nearby and fellow firemen had prodded him about catching their dinner the following night at the Firehall. Guess he got the last laugh on them as he was going by hall to fillet the fish. That just made my day perfect. Good Fishing All BB

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Good job Bumper. And even better job handing them off. We have the knowledge, gear and opportunity, and it's a small thing we do that is so well received.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

nice report, i made the trip over there once and fished exactly as you did today with much success, same time of year also. Again nice report, glad you had a good day.
    The two best times to fish (when it's raining & when it aint). Proud member of team GitDaFeeshGrease

Post Thanks / Like

great report,wtg
    CRAPPIE fishing is not a sport, its a way of life!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report . Did you put in at BB or theLock ?

Post Thanks / Like

what a great trip..

RogerA is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

That was a great report. I really enjoyed reading it. You gave lots of details that most folks don't think about including. It is very rewarding to share our blessing of being able to catch these wonderfull fish.
    Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly, and Trust in our Creator who Loves us

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies. Sure nice to share with fellow fishermen who enjoy fishing and appreciate Mother Nature. Yes Earl I put in at Brushy Branch. Went back again Sunday with a friend who can only fish on weekends. Dont usually fish on Sunday but he wanted to catch a few and I went along to direct traffic.LOL. I finally broke the ice on the 2 ponder this fall. He went 2lb. 2 ounces. We managed to boat 15 keepers and then the front came in with strong winds. We released all fish as they promised to bite next time. LOL. Good Fishing All! BB