HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keeping Minnows alive?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Keeping Minnows alive?

Hi, all I'm pretty new to crappie fishing. The county that I live in doesn't have a bait shop with minnows. How would you recommend I keep some alive over night? I'd like to buy a couple of dozen the day before I go fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a cheap 110 volt aquarium pump from Wallmart and I keep it in my shop. I put any minnows I have left over in a styrofoam bucket and drop the aerator in it and plug it in. As I type this there are around 2 dozen swimming around in it that I put in last Saturday. I use a Plano plastic bucket that I installed a battery powered bubbler on to carry in my boat. I think I have had 2 die since last Saturday.
    Hot summertime is a different story and I usually don't try to keep more than a day or two.
    SeaRay
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

Post Thanks / Like

PS
    How did you manage to move to a county that don't sell minnows??

Post Thanks / Like

Lol I was wo seeing the same thing searay. Lol but a good styrofoam or insulated bucket or cooler with a aerator or aquarium pump should fix you right up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SeaRay View Post
    PS
    How did you manage to move to a county that don't sell minnows??
    I'm that lucky!!! Just when I start crappie fishing, the local bait shop goes out of business.
    Last edited by snakeshooter1; 11-08-2012 at 11:24 PM. Reason: smiley sdded

Post Thanks / Like

seriously though I will look into getting a aquarium pump in the morning and get it setup for my next trip. thanks for the quick replies.

Post Thanks / Like

seriously though I will look into getting a aquarium pump in the morning and get it setup for my next trip. thanks for the quick replies.

Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest you also get a battery powered bubbler for carrying on the boat. They are cheap and the battery (mine is 1 D cell) last forever. I keep a spare with me and I went several trips with it running 5 to 7 hours and the battery never ran down. These are cheap too at Wally world, maybe 10 to 12 dollars.
    SeaRay

Post Thanks / Like

No problem snake shooter. Those pumps aren't very expensive and you can just plug it in and it will be better than a portable battery powered one for home use. Not sure if they come with a air stone. The last few I've bought have. And I second picking up a battery powered one for the boat bucket. You won't believe how lively the oxygen makes the bait. It's a night and day difference.

Post Thanks / Like

Dont get the little bubble stone either, get the blue one that is 3 or 4 inches long, seems to do better. I have 40 dozen in a 50 gallon tote rite now, put a filter pump on it like you would use in an aquarium and havent had to chnge the water in 2 weeks. Also have one of the bigger ariater pumps with 2 lines in it. Good luck, must be nice not to need many minners, never go to the lake with less thatn 10 dozen.
    1990 Stratos 285 Pro 200 HP Merc
    SpyderLok Rod Holders
    Proud Member of Team Watch The Finger!!!
    (662) 458-8925

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast