Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Deer anterlers

Post Thanks / Like

Default Deer anterlers

If you come up on a deer that is dead from getting hit from a car is it legal to cut it horns off

Post Thanks / Like

Depends on your state laws. (And how far your out in the country) But, I would never do it.
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"

Post Thanks / Like

I was only asking because a guy that works with my wife found a very huge buck this morning and i wanted to get the horns scored . And they are huge biggest i ever seen and I am42 hunted all my life

Post Thanks / Like

The Wildlife Code of Missouri states:
    3 CSR 10-10.768 Sales and Possession of Wildlife Parts and Mounted Specimens

(3) Any person who finds a dead deer with antlers still attached to the skull plate while afield and takes those antlers into possession must report the taking to a con­servation agent within twenty-four (24) hours to receive possession authorization. Shed antlers not attached to the skull plate found while afield may be possessed, bought and sold by any person without possession authorization.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    …I would recommend contacting your local agent prior to taking the antlers, although by Code you only need to within 24 hours of taking the item(s) into possession. This could save you trouble in the future if the deer ended up being part of an investigation (just a personal thought). A disposition form is needed for legal possession. Disposition forms can be provided by your local Conservation Agent.

-Dan Schepis
    Conservation Agent – Clay County
    This is not a full reproduction of the Code and all inquiries should be directed to the most current Wildlife Code of Missouri. This information is up to date as of 08Nov2012

Post Thanks / Like

this was so such a good idea.

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Great answer. Your right Beagleman this is a very informative forum and could save someone some money on something they thought was with in the law.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks very much for the info. I wouldve bet that it was ok but i was wrong i guess. Again thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beagle man View Post
    this was so such a good idea.

x2!!

Post Thanks / Like

That's great to know. I have passed on several I have found just because I didn't think you could have them.

Post Thanks / Like

Certainly best to get a conservation agent involved as "green" antlers are easily recognized and should be documented for possession.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.