Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: painting jigheads question

Post Thanks / Like

Default painting jigheads question

well i've been a little stir crazy wanting to go fishing unfortunately i have to work for a living. i almost exclusively use weedless jigheads. i cannot paint these heads with the powder dip and bake like i used to use because of the weed guard. so i decided to paint them by hand. got me some lime green jig paint and went to town. then i decided to put a clear coat of my wife's fingernail polish over it to protect it and give it a nice shine. well fast forward 24 hours and damn! they stink. opened up my box and it about knocked me off my feet. obviously if i can smell it, fish can as well. and i cannot assume they will like it. will this go away or should these go in the trash? i am assuming it is from the clear coat, since the lime green paint is designed for jigs. maybe paint over the clear with another layer of green?

Post Thanks / Like

Barlows sell some heat resistant guard for them I seen them before

Post Thanks / Like

Good thinking! I might try that next year instead of dynamite! :-)

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You can use Salley Hensons Hard as Nails for your clear coat. It is a nail polish/hardner and can be bought at Walmart. With the right flame you can dip the weedless jig heads in powder. I even cure mine in the toaster oven. I have not done any in a while but sold a couple thousand during nationals up here in 2010.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hardhunter2 View Post
    Good thinking! I might try that next year instead of dynamite! :-)
    i would stick with the dynamite!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jigging15 View Post
    You can use Salley Hensons Hard as Nails for your clear coat. It is a nail polish/hardner and can be bought at Walmart. With the right flame you can dip the weedless jig heads in powder. I even cure mine in the toaster oven. I have not done any in a while but sold a couple thousand during nationals up here in 2010.
    thanks i will try that. they sure do look good though! i even painted some black eyes on em.

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use the Hard as Nails on my hand tied jigs under the body material and on the finish knot. If I add eyes I clear coat with it over the vinyl painted eyes.

Post Thanks / Like

You should ask your old man for info,take a coffee stir stick ,cut it down to size,slide over weed-guard, paint and bake at 250,slide stir stick off .not bad for someone who doesn't drink coffee.(info passed onto me,didn't figure it out on my own)

Post Thanks / Like

Barlows also makes a clear lure finish that works well. I've had problems in the past with the Sally Hansen discoloring over a period of time with certain colors.
    Crappie.......its whats for dinner!!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh Sally was a good old gal....................
    A FISH IN THE PAN IS WORTH TWO IN THE LAKE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast