Thread: Cane Pole, Death Stars

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cane Pole, Death Stars

Cane Pole,

what size pvc pipe do you use with those center sections?CF

P.S. Thats no moon, It's a space station! :D
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default size

Quote Originally Posted by crappiefarmer
    Cane Pole,

what size pvc pipe do you use with those center sections?CF

P.S. Thats no moon, It's a space station! :D
    I used 1/2 inch schedule 40 PVC. I hope this holds together.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Default That thing reminds me of some of those virus I see on the scanning electron microscop

I would use some of the PVC pipe cleaner fluid and clean the outside of the pipes where they will enter the center piece. Then clean inside each hole of the center piece where the pipes will fit into it. Then apply the PVC cement and stick the pipe in the hole. That should hold it good when it dries.

How far inside the holder does the pipe go? 1/2" or 1" or more? ie how deep are those holes. The deeper the better as the pipe should have more surface area to stay in the hole and then more glue to hold it in the hole.

How much current is there in the West Sandy River area where your dock is located? other than current the only thing that could damage the thing is ice. If the lake is frozen over and the ice starts to shift around and hit the PVC attractor that could tear it apart. But I suspect that you will put them deep enough that the ice can't hit it.

I need to figure out a way of retrieving my PVC trees out of the stripper pit. I need a way to hook them and bring them back up to the surface. I thought of bending some 1/2" OD pipe into a hook shape and or making a treble hook out of big 1/2"od pipe. Then tying a long rope to the treble hook and using it to drag the bottom where the PVC tree is submerged. It's only in about 15 ft of water and if I can get ahold of it I can haul it back into the boat. Trouble is that now the 2ft section with the concrete in it is glued to the 8ft section. I would have to try to handle the entire tree with all that extra weight attached. Before I dumped it in the water last fall I keep the two pieces seperated until the last minute. That made it much easier to assemble the pieces while on the water. Without the concrete section the thing is not very heavy. It's awkard to handle when you get all 10 of the 10ft long 1" ID pipes installed though the 10ft long 4" od pipe. It was a lot easier to make that it will be to drag back out of the lake.

I want to put these in another spot where I think they will do more good. Not many crappie hang out where I put the as there is just too much boat traffic. also the crappie have a lot more cover to use than I thought at first. I didn't realized how much the crappie used the weedline in these pits. Some of the bigger crappie hang out at the edge of the weedline at the 6 to 7 ft contour level. These pits are full of plankton and algae and the water is stained.

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole
    I used 1/2 inch schedule 40 PVC. I hope this holds together.
    Regards,

Moose1am