Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Learn something new

Post Thanks / Like

Default Learn something new

So okay this may be funny to some if not all but hey. Okay I have been fishing with mo glow bg for a couple of years now. It has never been a goto bait for me but I keep a couple in my arsenal. I was fishing Sunday morning and this came up to me with some glowing in the dark. I said I got some but they dont glow like that.
    He said put some light on them, and wahlah they where glowing. I always thought the did something underwater but. I was tickled about my ignorance.

Hope you are too

Have a good one
    Love, what more can I say

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't know that either mighty.
    You can't catch em, if you don't go!

Post Thanks / Like

Yea, light activates them. But dont feel bad, I have had dummy moments alot!

Post Thanks / Like

Most people call it charging them. They have to have light to be recharged. Here is the thing for me though, I have always caught more fish with the light out on them. When I charge them I never seem to ctch fish on them, but after I use them for a while and do not recharge them, that is when I seem to catch fish on them.

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't know that either. And you know, I bet crappieseeker is right. How many glowing minnows have you seen That reminds me of a book I read. Can't remember the name, but it was recommended to me and it was outstanding. I got it at the library. It was about bass, but it talked about their vision in comparison to ours, their hearing with the lateral lines and the addition of water as opposed to ours, ect.

The first part of the book covered every aspect of the fish itself. The book was really good, probably some of you have read it too, it also had these studies in giant aquariums, ect, in the later stages of the book. They tossed different baits, colors, ect., during different times, lighting and also situations such as spawning and looked for theories on what worked best and why. They found that bass are very territorial for sure and also offered what they thought were the best colors for different situations, including light and water clarity.

Anyway, there's this one part about their sight and it jokingly said that when anglers go to the store they are buying a lot of times what looks good to them as humans, which made no sense in comparison to what really looks good to the cones in the eyes of a bass during different stages of light. It's a totally different makeup.

Taking this to another level, just my theory now, the eyes on crappie are huge, they are kind of like a horse in comparison to other animals and they say that's why horses spook so easily because everything is magnified to them up close. Anyway, just some thoughts. Sorry for the rambling, lol.
    Last edited by LarryDavid; 11-08-2012 at 01:34 PM.
    James 1:5

Post Thanks / Like

Unless my books are running together, I think the book was entitled "Knowing Bass" by Dr. Keith Jones. It is more like an advanced biology or science class a lot of the time, but it is a pretty good read, much more detailed than most everything else I've ever read about the actual fish itself. It was a pretty good read into some of the more in depth parts of what makes fish tick and even though it addressed bass fishing, much of it can be applied to crappie.
    James 1:5

Post Thanks / Like

There are all types of glow in the dark lures out there that require charging. The best light I ever had for that was a rescue strobe light used to call in helicopters by troops on the ground. One or two flashes off that thing and my lures glowed for hours. Used this a lot when salmon fishing on the West Coast. But, I use the same concept with my Mo Glo lures too. Sometimes they really hit it and sometimes not. When they are really aggressive this seems to add just a little more to it!