PDA

View Full Version : what kind of boat?

crappiencali
06-29-2006, 10:30 PM
To all you wise crappie fisherman/fisherwomen. I plan on buying a boat here in the next year when I get ready to return from Korea. My question to you is what kind of boat do yo uall like better, glass or metal? I'd a Triton TR20 and sold it due to the fact that I'm going oversea's. It was a great boat but a little to much for crappie fishing. I have been looking at a few metal boats but have never fished out of any. I know that each person has their own opinion what I want to here what you all think. Also, I plan on fishing decent size bodies of water, that have a lot of boat traffic. ie. LOZ, and Truman lake. Thanks for your help everyone.

EDDY CREEK BANDIT
06-29-2006, 11:02 PM
Your preference! I have had both. The aluminum boat has some great features such as, light weight, cheaper, requires less motor, less maintance, less worry about runnig her upon the bank in a strong storm. Glass is heavier for a better ride and is usually a little larger, this size does require more engine thus more fuel. constant cleaning, I feel safer in a bigger boat due to the fact I am getting older and less stable as I stagger around in the boat. I think your question will generate a lot of different views. For me bigger is better, so I run a 18 foot Hydra Sport with a 150 outboard. Best I have used yet.

eastkycrappie
06-30-2006, 12:04 AM
I have fished off both and my family has owned both. Had a 17 ft Tracker that I loved. It was great for just my Dad and me but got alittle crowded if more than 2 went out. Also if you are going to have small kids the bigger boat gives them a little more room to move around in it. But that is just my feeling on it.

Joe Horton
06-30-2006, 04:37 AM
Hey guys,Iffen I was going to buy a big boat I'd go look at Jerry Blakes Blue wave guide boat. Super comfortable and would fish all my kids and grand kids.
My wife even liked it. Hope this helps, Joe

3's
06-30-2006, 05:19 AM
I'm not sure about Truman but if runnin' LOZ a bunch Think big and buy bigger. I think in a alum boat I would get a 2072 with proper power. Dad has a wareagle 2072 with a 115 optimax that will handle a lot of water. Rigged pretty nice for fishing. One advantage with alum boats is you can easily customize your layout. I am looking at a 2072 Sea Ark. It has a little more weight than the War Eagle because of the .125 hull. Cn't help ya much on the glass boats but I see a ton of tritons running around here. Much moreso than Rangers which would be second. If not trolling the brush much and for night stalking I would like a pontoon!!

roybuoy
06-30-2006, 05:50 AM
I like fiberglass boats,ride better,handle better in rough water.

rango
06-30-2006, 07:37 AM
where bouts in korea are you at? I was stationed at camp page, up near chunchon back in 67/68. i prefer the roominess of an aluminum boat over a comparable length of a fiberglass boat. I am fishing out of a 20 ft sea ark, being doing so since 1999 and have fished out of quiet a few cc glass boats of friends of comparible length and larger and have yet to find one that was as comfortable and roomy as my sea ark. the heavy glass boats do ride better in rough water tho but the bumpiness of the sea ark aint nothing i cant live with. its also a very stable boat and deep enough that i feel safe in it in any water ive been in yet.

slabcatcher
06-30-2006, 07:52 AM
triton has a new crappie boat out. it is a 19 ft fiberglass boat. it is laid out very nice for the crappie fisherman. set up for two seats up front for trolling. i have a buddy who has one and it is a very sweet boat

itallushrt
06-30-2006, 09:18 AM
Hands down aluminum. You are going to get your butt kicked in some big heavy water at times, but over all they are the only way to go I think. Sure a $30,000+ boat would be great, but I'm out on the water to fish not to worry about getting some blood or dirt from a nightcrawler container on the carpet. Also, like was previously stated you can customize the layout of an aluminum jon to YOUR liking, they require less power and should you hit something then 99% of the time aluminum is going to bend not puncture / splinter like fiberglass.

Also, I ditto the comments on size. Sure the bigger the better, but you can get aluminum jons up to 26'.

I'd recommended Sea Ark or Excel. The War Eagles are nice, but overpriced. Check out Excel out of Arkansas. Smaller builder, but they build top notch boats to your specs for unbelievable prices. All welded and fitted with all the amenities and great warranties.

Crappieknocker
06-30-2006, 09:50 AM
Triton has come out with a TA196, It is a crappie boat that is a nineteen and a half foot boat. It is the 196 hull that they use on the tr196, The carpet on the floor and for deck can be removed if you are worried about slime getting on the carpet. The carpet is velcroed to the decks in the front and floor. I mention this boat only because you are familiar with Triton. The boat is laid out nice,and it is a heavy boat,weighing 1910 pounds. Good luck with your choice,and hurry home.

callshy
06-30-2006, 10:47 AM
Triton has come out with a TA196, It is a crappie boat that is a nineteen and a half foot boat. It is the 196 hull that they use on the tr196, The carpet on the floor and for deck can be removed if you are worried about slime getting on the carpet. The carpet is velcroed to the decks in the front and floor. I mention this boat only because you are familiar with Triton. The boat is laid out nice,and it is a heavy boat,weighing 1910 pounds. Good luck with your choice,and hurry home.

I saw the triton boat and it looked nice but it is hard to beat the Ranger Fisherman series for a spacious crappie boat. Lots of storage and floor space for coolers, extra minnow bucket, and it is wide for stabiltity.

izzysfishin
06-30-2006, 10:57 AM
If i had it to do over and had the bucks. For a glass rig http://www.bluewaveboats.com/220_Xtreme.cfm For an aluminium rig http://www.shoalrunnerboats.com/page5.html I know your gonna say, what would i want something like that for on the shoalrunner. I had a 2060 till 4years ago and the only thing a did'nt like about it was the ride (flat bottom), it would beat you to death on the lakes with any kind of chop. The new hulls they have now are awesome. The EFI350 Vortec gets better mileage than any 150 outboard ever thought of. On plane they will honestly run in 4 inches of water. I would have bought one with the new hull, but they're to much out of my price range now. The 196 Triton would be something to seriously consider to, man i love boat shopping when it's your money Dave...izzy

CrappiePappy
06-30-2006, 02:19 PM
[QUOTE=rango]where bouts in korea are you at? I was stationed at camp page, up near chunchon back in 67/68. QUOTE]

Crappiencali hasn't gone to Korea, just yet. He's due to ship out in early Oct.

Hey Rango ... small world. I was stationed in Pusan 69/70 ... 8th Army. :D

CnCali - you might want to look at the Xpress, Triton, and G3 line of aluminum boats. G3 runs a Yamaha - Triton runs a Merc - Xpress runs Yamaha. That is, of course, if you decide to go aluminum. ......... cp :cool:

SnakeCharmer
06-30-2006, 02:29 PM
I personally like Aluminum but I think this question is kind of like asking which is better, Ford or Chevy. (Correct answer is Ford in case you were wondering:D ) Each has its good and bad points but I think it mostly just comes down to personal preferance. Glass boats are generally bigger and heavier which will make them ride better on rough water but the down side is that you are pulling more weight down the road, pushing more weight across the water which requires more motor which requires more fuel etc. Aluminum hull design has gotten better in recent years. I have a Tracker pro team 175 with the revolution hull and compared to my fater in laws 96' 170 with the riveted hull, it rides like a Cadillac. Another advantage to me is that I think aluminum boats hold value better. Look at 2 comparably equipped boats that are say 20yrs old, (one aluminum and one glass) chances are they are worth about the same but the aluminum boat likely cost half what the glass boat did new. And of all the older glass boats I have looked at, many have had or are in need of transom repair due to wood rot etc. Of course if you plan to upgrade in a few years, thats probably a non issue. But it also seems that aluminum boats are easier to turn when its time for a new one because of the fact that many poeple looking to buy a used boat arent looking to spend a fortune or they would probably be looking at new ones.

....but thats just me, I calim to be no expert

crappiencali
06-30-2006, 10:06 PM
I'll be getting stationed in Osan. About an hour and a half south from Soeul. It'll be my second time there in 7 years. The only reason I'm going back is so I can get stationed back in Missouri and be right up the road from my daughter. That means I can get back to doing the 2 things I love doing the most. Spending time with my daughter and crappie fishing. Know she's old enough we can do it together.

Thanks for all the info on boats. I'm doing a lot of research.

abarkley
06-30-2006, 10:40 PM
i've not researched a lot of boats lately, but if i were to buy again i'd buy a boat heavy enough to fish in the wind and not be blown around the entire time.

gone fishing
07-01-2006, 10:25 AM
Dave read the thread: massage for fellow fishmen on the off topic forum of crappie.com

VWs2
07-01-2006, 10:16 PM
We use a boston Whaler18'6" for all of your fishing needs and love it, weather it be crappie fishing or out in the ocean. But like every one has said it all depends on what you want like and can afford.

GRIZZ
07-03-2006, 02:35 PM
If cost wasn't a big factor I'd get a dressed out crestliner fishhawk. I've never seen a better built aluminum boat. I've fished several and they all seem to be perfect and great to fish off of. I've had friends with them that I can remember from 20 yrs ago and some of them still have them and use them quite a lot. The only disadvantage I see is the cost. The 1850 fishhawk with a 135 merc 4stroke, wrap around windshield, ez-load trailor and most of the best options is 32k, and the 1750 is $25k and a 1650 is $21k, both with an optimax, though I would prefer a 4 stroke which would be more. Thats a lot for an aluminum, but as I said if cost wasn't an issue its the only boat I'd choose.

http://www.crestliner.com/boat_info/boat_model.asp?TID=100&BID=44

gabowman
07-03-2006, 04:16 PM
All depends on your type of fishing and the waters you run or will want to run in it. If river fishing I'd go aluminum. I like the open center console type boats for crappie and catfishing on lakes. Big water you'll want a big boat. Small water you'll do better with a smaller boat. There's alot of di9fferent type boats out there. I'd do alot of looking and even take a few test rides before I purchased.

basscatman
07-07-2006, 08:51 AM
It is totally prefrence. They both have their pro's and con's. I run a 18' glass BassCat and the boat is exactly what I need for me. The ride is great and rides better than any 20' aluminum boat I have ever rode in. Lifetime hull warranty also. 18' is all the boat I want, anything longer for me is too hard to manouver through the timber. I also can't deal with the aluminum boats in the wind getting blown all over since we fish open water 70% of the time.
I would not buy new though. Patients is a wonderful thing when shopping used. My boat is a 2002 with a merc XR6 150. I bought it this February and it had MAYBE 20 hours on it and was like brand new with motor warranty until June of 2007. I paid 12K for it. Buying new, you take a huge hit the first couple of years. I can run this boat for 3 years and get what I paid for it when I sell. Boats are one of the items folks think they will use a lot and then when they have it ballgames and other issues come up and they wind up not using it but a few times each year. There are like new 3-6 year old boats out there people just want to unload. The key is not to get in a hurry while shopping.
If I was fishing the Ozarks there is zero way I would be in a aluminum boat, the chiropractor bill would be too much. :eek: :D

drill instructor
07-07-2006, 10:50 AM
If you can find a Stratos 219f or 217f jump on it. Those are awesome boats, i drove from GA to MN to get mine and dont regret it at all. Very spacious and handles the ruff water great, im fishing on a 79,000 acre lake and it can get pretty ruff sometimes.

1weezer
07-07-2006, 06:12 PM
I bought one of the new Triton TA-196 boats. It is a GREAT boat for crappie fishing. The only down side to this boat is the lack of storage. By taking the front deck out, you loose all the storage. But that's ok, the rest of the boat makes up for the loss of storage. My old boat was a 20' aluminum Sea-Ark. It was also a great boat. A glass boat does give you a smoother dryer ride.

Jerry Blake
07-07-2006, 07:19 PM
I love my 22' Blue Wave 220 Classic Center console - http://www.actionfishingtrips.com/boat.JPG. It has a shallow draft - about 10-inches - but a deep enough V-hull in the front to give a smooth, dry ride in rough water. With it's "Rolled Gunnel" design it is light for a glass boat at about 1,300-pounds and very roomy inside. There is no carpet in it and the decks have a textured non-slip finish that cleans up real easy.

The manufacturer (Parks) was willing to change up some things from their base model like using a console from another model that I liked better, a real handy live-well in the front deck, steps (instead of storage or rod boxes) from the main deck up to the front deck and a built in ice box under the back deck. It also has a built in bait-well under the back deck.

They also let me decide where to place the console. I bought it without seats so I could place them where I wanted them for what I do, which is take up to 6-people fishing besides myself.

The boat doesn't have a lot of storage but all that I need and I could put storage hatches in the front deck if I ever need more. The 140 Suzuki Four Stroke gets it up out of the hole real well until I carry 6 big bubbas besides myself, have a full tank of gas and full live-well and bait-well tanks - then she groans just a little. It will run 40-mph with a light load and cruises real nice at about 30-mph turning about 5,000 RPMs with an 18-pitch four blade SS prop.

With a factory installed Hamby's Beaching Bumper on the front I don't worry a bit about running up on the boat ramp or bank. With it's shallow draft I can get right up the rivers and creeks and in the shallows during the spawn.

With it's low profile it's not difficult to control in the wind but the sides are high enough that folks feel safe - like they are "in" the boat and not "on" it.

Here's a link for Blue Wave - http://www.bluewaveboats.com/

VWs2
07-10-2006, 07:08 PM
Jerry Blake Thats the way our 18 ft Boston Whaler is......just feels safe as it can be in most waters....hit 4 to 5 ft sea this past weekend and that was pushing it atleast for me but never had any problems. And its great crappie fishing out of with 3 or 4 people since theres enough room to move around in a center console.

skiptomylu
07-10-2006, 10:40 PM
My son leaves next month for Iraq so I know how your family must feel and how proud of you they are.

Good Luck over there.

Thank You For Your Service!

Wanted to say I was looking at boats just recently and really like the Deep V types that are set up for crappie fishing. The Lund has lots of fans, but I have never been in one. Same with G3's Deep V boats.

If I didn't want to spend the money on a top notch Bass boat or just wanted more space and places for people to fit in then I would take a long look at the Deep V's.

I had a bass boat (a Skeeter) and loved it, but the way I want to fish and how many people I would like to take require more room than a bass boat has.

HurricaneJM
07-10-2006, 11:28 PM
gotta go with the glass boat, esp. if you are going on big bodies of water, no reason not to

crappiencali
07-10-2006, 11:45 PM
I have been looking at the Skeeter line a lot. Hopefully when I get back I can find one at a good deal.

saluki
07-11-2006, 06:11 AM
Once I'm done with my v-8 truck I'm getting a v-6. I've heard 18-20' glass boats are a little too much for a v-6. Gas is too high for me to keep a v-8, all I use it for is to pull the boat, dont need the power. Selling my boat tonight and getting a new one this week or next.

skiptomylu
07-11-2006, 07:04 AM
I have been looking at the Skeeter line a lot. Hopefully when I get back I can find one at a good deal.

Well Skeeter made the first Bass Boat ever made and they have one at the dealer in Jasper Texas. All I can tell you is I had a 1996 200ZX with a 200 Yammer and the next year they made the hull even better. Mine was the first year of the then new style for Skeeter and it has improved since.

Mine ran like 75 MPH top speed, however 72 was about as fast as I could go and still feel comfortable, LOL! They have all the bells and whistles, they make a quality boat. I have nothing bad to say about Skeeter and have had 3 over the years.

When I sold my Bass Boat 1 1/2 years ago the finish was still like new and I sold it within one week and just listed it on a classifies add spot in SE Texas. All the seats, carpet was still in great shape and everything still worked just fine.

Skeeter makes a first class boat with tons of storage space. You can put a huge number of rods and reels in the rod box's.

Meat on the Table
07-11-2006, 03:02 PM
I have a 1548 Lowe and a 18 foot Lund, both tiller models. I like tiller models because of the extra room. Both are customized to my taste and style of fishing. I live on Lake BArkley and am 15 minutes from Kentucky Lake so the wind is not a factor, I can and will find a place out of the wind. I fertilize (condos) both lakes in places that will allow fishing in just about any wind situation. I fish a lot by myself and find, I use the 1548 90% of the time. I have owned fiberglass boats and there are advantages to them, but they do not suit my roughhouse ways and winter fishing. I say to each his own.

russ
07-12-2006, 07:34 AM
I have been fishing out of the Triton TA196 crappie boat. AWESOME!!! This is a big 19'6" boat that was designed for crappie tournament fishing. Whether you troll, jig fish, shoot docks, or anything else, it works out great. You can see it on Triton's website. www.tritonboats.com

Russ

crappiencali
07-12-2006, 09:12 AM
How much do those TA196's run? I like the look of it but I'll plan on buying a house at the same time, don't want to be straped for cash from month to month.

russ
07-12-2006, 01:23 PM
Hi Dave,

Drop me an email & I'll get you a quote.

Russ

russ@midwestcrappie.com

CrappieMan-DWNsouth
07-12-2006, 01:40 PM
I just bought a Tracker TX 190 w/ 115 Optimax...I love it. Plenty of room 18'8" and plenty of power. Not as expensive as the glass boats, and our family has plenty of room in it. Now is the time to buy the '06 model. We recieved a 1000k rebate and a new boat cover for the '06 model....

ReelFun
07-12-2006, 04:01 PM
I like my G3 175 but I may just get one of those new Wider Lowe boats. In the river during fall/winter I have found out how important having a wide boat can be to keep the wind from pushing you sideways.

crappiechappy
07-13-2006, 09:22 AM
Triton gets my vote. I have a Triton 19 ft. and have had it for 2 years and love it. If wind is a factor when fishing out of it, you're probably in a severe storm or a hurricane. Seriously, Triton makes a great product if dependability and stability are what you are looking for.

fishdoc
07-13-2006, 10:23 AM
took me three yrs to save up for my boat so i shopped the whole time. fished from a ranger 1600 "V" for 22yrs(fiberglass) i decided on a 17' "V" hull tiller. i do a lot of different kinds of fishin and it suits me fine. got it set up for titelinin, flat linin, anchorin, castin, motor trollin, shootin docks...had it 4 yrs and wouldn't change a thing!