Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Solar Battery Chargers

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Solar Battery Chargers

Does anyone know if attaching a solar battery charger to a trolling motor battery would extend the trolling time? It seems like it would. I prefer to troll with my trolling motor instead of my gas motor but my trolling motor uses up my battery fairly quickly if I troll at high enough speed to run my crankbaits. So, I am looking into methods of extending my battery life. Any ideas floating out there?

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

that wouldn`t do much as the amps isen`t that much . a good deep cyckle battery should last all day . the new optimax will last longer .you could put 2 batteries in line that would double the amps .solar charger just outas out a few amps depends on the size .
    retired and now i will always fish

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Samll solar chargers just put out milliamps. Not enough to do you any good for what you want. Papasage has the best idea, add another battery in parallel.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I already have an Optima blue top. It lasts a good while but not at the speeds I want to run at.Yes, I have considered another battery. I saw some solar powered boats on TV the other night but I didn't watch the whole clip. I will get the type of fishing I want to do down pat before I make any more investments but in the mean time, I will be looking at some alternatives.
    The speed I want to troll at burns up the battery fairly quickly.