Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: thoughts on this yak

Post Thanks / Like

Default thoughts on this yak

I am looking to get started into kayak fishing... I will mainly go to one small local lake and fish around a couple areas that have pretty easy access to launch. And I will probably fish a bigger lake, but again, stay around the docks (and can launch off the dock).

I am looking at the WaterQuest Excursion 10' Fishing Kayak at DSG... thoughts??? It appears to be kind of a hybrid between sit-on-top and sit in... and it's very light weight, so I can carry it pretty easily. it's 350... Going to check Craigslist too. I don't want to spend a ton because I don't know how much I'll use it, and I have a Ford Escape to haul this in, so it can't be some 15 footer

Post Thanks / Like

It shows a 250 pound weight capacity, just be sure that's enough (I'm pushing that in just clothed body-weight). Looks to me it's a sit-in (with a larger opening). I know lots of folks fish from them, but it seems a sit-on would be so much easier. I paid the same ($350) for mine, and it has an additional 75 pound weight capacity, it's probably a bit heavier (at 60 pounds, but it's also a 12 footer) though, but the cart makes it easy to move around.
    Apple Pie ProStaff

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a couple of thoughts. I've used kayaks ranging from 10' to 14'6. What you will find is the shorter the kayak is the harder it is to track straight. Every paddle stroke will want to turn the kayak. The longer boats will track better but are usually heavier and you have more boat to push through the water making it slower. The optimum size and I think most will agree is the 12'. As for the type, for every boat you will get a different opinion. I have both a SOT and a SINK, they each have their advantages and disavantages. For your application small lake/pond either will be fine. My advise is to try one if you can before buying it. That usually will make a difference on how much you will use it. Things to check: How easy it is for YOU to get in and out; Do you have room for the gear YOU will want to carry; How will YOU carry it/load it/transport to the water; and last but not least, how much do YOU want to pay.

FYI; kayaks are fun I think 2 is not enough

Post Thanks / Like

I have both a SOT and SINK as well, a WS Ride 115 and a WS Pungo 120 (SINK). I like both, the Pungo is a bit easier to paddle because of the shape of the hull but the Ride 115 (SOT) is much more stable for fishing due to the hull design. In a sink, the storage issue is that all of your gear (tackle box, anchor, whatever you feel you need) is inside the yak with you down around your feet, unless you do some "rigging" and install some rod holders, maybe a way to attach a crate to the outside of the hull. Doing all of this rigging will make it more difficult to enter and exit the yak. The SOT has an open cockpit, much easier to enter/exit with a tankwell or storage well behind the seat, you can put a crate there to hold all of your excess gear and its not around your feet. Rod holders can be installed as well along with other accessories if desired. Some people fish out of SINK's some prefer SOT's. I've fished out of both, and depending on circumstances, weather and the style of fishing I doing that trip depends on which one I take. The SOT is easier to fish from imo, but I can adapt to the sink in a matter of minutes as well. You should try and find a dealer that has "paddle days" where you can test drive different styles to see what will work for you. I got the WS yaks because the seats are very comfy for me and my bad back, but that's just me.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.