Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how do you stay warm

Post Thanks / Like

Default how do you stay warm

well with winter on they way and after reading neonmoons mishap ( gald your ok) . i was wondering. how do you stay warm when kayaking? i usually hibernate like the bears do in winter. and don't go back out till march unless we have a warm winter. i hope to fish a lot more this winter from the kayak. so what do you wear to stay warm while kayaking

Post Thanks / Like

Breathable waders work pretty well at keep one warm, especially when layered with synthetic clothes underneath that stay warm if you get wet. Dressing in layers so that you can add/subtract based on your activity level and the temps. Besure to wear a pfd on top. Also you probably should try and practice getting back into the kayak with all your winter clothing while wet. Baggy waders and thick jackets can make it very difficult to climb back into the yak.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been reading up on this topic on other kayaking forums and such, and seems like what bfish stated is the rule of thumb, but everyone has their own ideas depending on how much $$ they got to spend. I'm just trying to determine what brand and style of waders would be worth the $$ and work best for me. Never owned any waders so it all new territory for me. Wool is good if wet but will be heavy, while the synthetic stuff is designed to work if wet. Good advice on practicing the re-entry with all the gear on, but man that would be tuff to get in that cold water for the practice session, but one of those necessary evils in life.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

jimp, where in TN are you?
    Breathable waders (with stockingfeet) are the way to go. Neoprene gets too hot when paddling, then you get chilled when you are fishing. Bootfoot waders will keep your toes warmer, but are nearly impossible to swim in.

Cabelas has pretty affordable waders. Hodgeman/Reddington/Albright usually has sales on their site too.

Post Thanks / Like

Stay outta the water

Apple Pie ProStaff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NeonMoon View Post
    Stay outta the water

OH, OH, LOOK, THE VOICE OF EXPERIENCE POPS UP OUT FROM UNDER A STUMP, OF ALL PLACES.
    JK there Neonmoon. How are them ribs doing ???

bfish,
    I live in Madisonville.

Is it best to wear shoes(maybe some Crocs) with the stockingfeet waders, or is it ok to forget the shoes ?? My concern with the stockingfeet ones is wearing the soles out on on the waders if I don't wear something while launching and loading. I was leaning towards the breathable ones, and thanks for the brand recommendations. Would the waist high waders be sufficent or the chest ones? See how little I know about waders as I've never used 'em.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes to shoes of some sort. I wear either wading boots (for warmth or if I get out and wade (smallmouth)) or leather sneakers (leather for warmth). I would not wear crocs, they slide off your feet when swimming and they are very slick on flat spots (ramps, docks, rocks etc).

Waist high will work. However chest are warmer and IMO a tad safer. With the pfd on top it creates a smaller opening, letting less water in during an unexpected swim.

I am down in Bradley Co.

Post Thanks / Like

bfish,
    thanks for the info, not wanting to hijack the thread. will send a pm.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

Post Thanks / Like

I like the Hodgeman chest waders for really cold weather and the layering of clothing is what I've found best for me too. I like the boot type
    but have some sock feet type too and wear oversized sneakers. I stay home if the wind is over 10 mph, and stay toasty warm.
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"

Post Thanks / Like

thanks guys. yeah been stayin home here. just to windy. did scout a new city owned lake. been hearing good things about this place. plenty of fish and lots of bream and crappie. if old mother nature would just act right i hoe to be on the water soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast