Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: where to put it

Post Thanks / Like

Default where to put it

I am thinking of purchasing a boat and a 998 combo. I want to hear everyones opinion on where you would put it and where you would put the cheaper unit and why. Should I put the cheaper unit at driver seat and 998 up front or vise versa?

Post Thanks / Like

Bigger screen would be nice up front but SI is more useful at the console. All you really need up front is a gps and something to tell you depth.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by feelay View Post
    Bigger screen would be nice up front but SI is more useful at the console. All you really need up front is a gps and something to tell you depth.

I agree! I do most of my scout work from console.
    Alan
    ------------------
    Tight Lines to all
    Roll Tide Roll

Post Thanks / Like

x2 on what they said!!!!!!!!!!
    Pro Staff:
    Excel Boat (Meatgetter Edition)
    Crappieholic Apparel
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Ozark Rods

Please support these great companies!

Post Thanks / Like

I am not one for getting out and riding with the big motor though. I do a lot of trolling when I use a boat and just ease around bridges and things. I thought looking down from the front I could see what I needed to better from the front. I thought it would be a hassle to move from the front to the back a lot.

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

My situation may be a tad different because of the ease of lake access at nearly every bay of KY lake..(I generally drive to the bay I'm going to fish, launch the boat, get on the TM, and spider rig all day)..

I spend more than 99.9% of my fishing day with my baits in the water at the TM...scouting as I fish...(not scouting-then fishing)..

Why would I invest $3000 in electronics for that 0.1% of the day that I'm at the console where my baits are not in the water...??

If you can only afford 1 unit...put it where you will get the most use out of it in your fishing style...

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappieseeker View Post
    I am not one for getting out and riding with the big motor though. I do a lot of trolling when I use a boat and just ease around bridges and things. I thought looking down from the front I could see what I needed to better from the front. I thought it would be a hassle to move from the front to the back a lot.
    Why not set it up to move from the console to the front, the kit for this is not that bad.
    1990 Stratos 285 Pro 200 HP Merc
    SpyderLok Rod Holders
    Proud Member of Team Watch The Finger!!!
    (662) 458-8925

Post Thanks / Like

I use my side imaging color unit front and back as it is brighter and easier to see, I simply bought the side imaging transducer for the trolling motor so I could use it both places. Less than the cost of a second good grey scale unit. I also still have my old grey scale that I use at the console if I"m just tracking depth, and not scouting, however I spider rig most of the time. Since both are Huminbird units the grey scale dual beam works fine with the side scan transducer on either end.
    Waterboy1

Post Thanks / Like

I use my SI from the console to eliminate water and find structure with the big motor on fast idle and can cover a lot of water faster than with the Terrova up front. If an area is not holding baitfish or there isn't some form of structure that is holding fish then I wouldn't be maximizing my time on the water if I was covering the same barren water with rods in the water and going slower on the bow mount. I have the HB setup so I can move my 898 head unit to the bow if I decide to or use the Lowrance unit that I have wired to my US2. If I could have SI in ONLY one spot it would be at the wheel so that I could eliminate water and mark structure and fish in less time to make my time on the water more productive.

Post Thanks / Like

okay here is another question, instead of spending 1,300 or better on a SI unit would it be better to just get 2 good 6 hundred dollar units one for front nd back, or do the lower priced units show as muh, not that those 600 ones are cheap.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast