Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "If you haven't, you will".....well, I DID!

Post Thanks / Like

Default "If you haven't, you will".....well, I DID!

Hit the water this AM, only saw 1 other boat on the water all day. I was actually having a decent day, caught several 12"ers, twice that many a little smaller. Wind picked-up early on, but calmed down after an hour or so.

Time always slips away from me when I'm fishing, if I'm out at 6AM, and intend to head-in at noonish, it's 3-4PM when I return. Sprinkled a little, nothing to speak of. The other boat went-in, I fished another hour or two, and decided to head-in myself.

I was still in deep water when I high-centered on a stump, must have been a skinny/pointed one because I've run-up on a number of them. When I did this time, I didn't balance, I rolled-over port-side. Needless to say my mind was void of happy thoughts as I hit the water, which last I looked was 52*. I must have went in on a stump, since I have some minor rib pain on my left upper ribs. Happened so fast I'm not really sure what happened, I know I clung to a stump, kayak was upside down in the water. It took 2 tries, but I finally got it righted.

1st thing I did was went after the tupperware container which held my wallet, camera, and cell. Tossed it in the Kayak, and looked for the paddle, it was under the Kayak, so I grabbed it, and tossed it in as well. I looked, and both my rods, untethered, were still in the rocket launcher, don't ask me how. I was worried I wouldn't be able to get back in, but somehow managed on the 1st attempt. I was sure thankful for that!

I lost a 5 gallon plastic bucket, pair of needle nose and line clippers, my Kayak Cart was floating away, so I grabbed it with the paddle, and in it went, I also lost the leg/kickstand for my PVC cart, not a biggie. My feet were already cold, before I got wet, and now my rubber knee boots were full of water. I also put on a pair of heavy insulated blue jeans, since it was supposed to be cool today.

I headed for camp, knowing the more time passed, the colder I was going to get. Granted, I was paddling, which helped generate some heat, but I also had lots more stumps to pass-over before hitting land. It took me the better part of 30 minutes I suppose (since it's usually a 20 minute paddle for me), naturally I found a few stumps on the way in, I wanted to hurry, but didn't want to take a second dunk. I doubt I'd have gotten back in the 2nd time. Once I hit shallow water (5'), I increased speed where I thought I could.

When I landed on shore, I was in a hurry to get out, and head straight to the bath house next to camp. I generally have trouble getting out from just setting, but now I was wet and cold in addition. I pretty much just rolled-out into the water (which was only 6" deep), and got to my feet, grabbed the carry handle on the bow, and drug it across 2 camp sites and the road, dropping it at my campsite. I stripped-down to my underwear and T-shirt (thankfully I'm the only one left on this end of the campground), found my door keys, and realized I was having just a slight problem functioning when it came to opening the bus door. I keep a shower bag packed, including clothes, so I came-in long enough to grab it, toss my wet clothes in the shower (what didn't get tossed on the picnic table) and headed next door to the shower. I was pretty cold at this point, and could really feel my rib hurting.

The shower temp is pre-set, and while normally feels plenty warm, felt as if it were scalding hot as I stood under it, but I didn't care, I wanted to get warm as fast as I could. I stayed-in for about 30 minutes, until the major coldness was gone, got dressed, and came back to the bus to crank the heat up. Feel a whole lot better now, after eating a hot meal, and having a 2nd cup of Irish Coffee. Rib's still tender, but better, don't think I did anything other than bump it pretty good.

Oh, and the Frankenchair worked just fine, and now that I think about it I probably lost a small throw rug I'd folded-up for a seat cushion. There's likely a couple Gatorade bottles floating in the lake, and as much as I hate to litter, I wasn't too concerned about going after them.

It's good to feel dry and warm! Well, I guess tomorrow I'll have to access my losses, and get things re-rigged for the next time out.

I also realize now it wasn't a smart choice on my part to be on this lake, with nobody else around. It won't happen again. Any other lake but this one, but not this one again while the water's so low.
    Apple Pie ProStaff

Post Thanks / Like

WELL, drama KING............
    WHAT else can you do?
    Did you have your pfd on?
    When I sign in on this site, the first place I look is for your post.
    IF we can get an "entertainment award" for anyone, I'm voting for YOU.
    Gol-ee geez man, take care of 'em ribs. They may turn yellow before the
    turn black. I'd take me a childs aspirin everyday for about a month, just
    in case. I do when I remember. Helps negate the possibilities of a blood clot.
    Irish coffee may be a cure all, but I never could apply it to all the places I
    needed it without getting it all over me.........

Too funny..... and If dad could see you now...........
    One question..............is your paddle tethered to your kayak?
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"

Post Thanks / Like

Tell me about it RRR! Feel like the star of "As the Crappie Turns", I tell everyone I'm not totally useless, I can always serve as a bad example for others . I don't set in the Kayak on the water without my PFD! Not really sure about the ribs, may have just strained righting the Kayak. I'm outta the water, that's all I care, the rib thing is minor.

Trust me, Pops won't be hearing about this one. Growing-up he always told me I didn't have a lick of sense.....I don't want him to know he was right.

Paddle's a floater, I checked it before. I still panicked at the thought of losing it though. It was 5PM when I came-in to grab stuff for the shower, but the time I got out of the Bath House, it was dark.

Didn't sleep much last night, think I'll turn-in early tonight
    Apple Pie ProStaff

Post Thanks / Like

and good luck tomorrow.
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"

Post Thanks / Like

what a story, glad your safe and BE CAREFUL next time

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

That must of been a heart thumper when you hit the cold water. Good to hear everything worked out and you were able to get out of the water quickly. Stay safe. Hope the ribs get better soon.
    Last edited by STUMP HUNTER; 11-06-2012 at 12:55 PM.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

WOW!!!!
    What an adventure you're having there NeonMoon. Glad you're ok and no serious injury or damage.

What channel and time is this new show on, need to set my DVR to record it.

From my readings on the web, those heavy jeans would not be a good thing to wear, especially when wet, suggest you get some decent gear (quit being a cheapskate on this) for cooler/cold weather yak fishing such as polartec pants and waders, maybe some wool garments since they retain heat even when wet. If you're gonna be out, be prepared anyways, sounds like you gonna need to be prepared with your track record to date. Sorry, had to get that dig in while you're down.

Seriously tho, read up on some good cool weather fishing apparel on the various yak fishing forums, some good info out there to help get some decent gear.

And, glad you're ok. And watch out for those 10 million stumps, only 9,999,995 to go.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys! Just to be clear, I was being careful. I wasn't paddling around haphazardly (not that you're saying I was), and I was keeping a constant watch for stumps, and the telltale signs of them being just below the surface. You just can't see them all. I think the biggest factor is just the current condition of the Lake right now, being as low as it is. Honestly I don't know what I could have done differently, short of staying off the water.

It was a definite learning experience, and like I told RRR in a PM, its not that I was concerned about drowning, but it could have taken me a lot longer to get out of the water, and warm/dry. While I was taking my time while getting from Point A to Point B (on the water), I plan to go even slower next time out, and if I feel even a fish fart under the Kayak, I'm slammin' on the brakes!

As far as cold weather gear, I don't fish when it's cold. I can't take the cold anymore. It was mid-50s yesterday, and had it been 10 degrees cooler, I'd have been in bus looking out the window hoping for warmer temps, and I'm talking Kayak fishing, not out of a boat.

While the stump(s) provided an assist in getting back in the Kayak, they were also the reason I went over. I've been in some pretty rough waters recently (KY Lake being one with the winds from Sandy), but nothing close to running up on these stumps.

Ribs are pretty tender this AM, I can tell they took a shot on something (had to have been a stump, but I can't recall landing on one), but they'll be OK in a couple days.
    Apple Pie ProStaff

Post Thanks / Like

Well, after breakfast, I went-out to get things on the Kayak straightened-around, and to determine what I'd lost.

Best I can tell was lost:
    1- New 5 gal bucket
    1-(Cheap Rope) Stringer, been wanting a metal one anyways.
    1- Rod holder. I'd taken it out of the base just to make a little more room, doubt it'll get replaced, I just mounted it 'cause it came with the Kayak.
    1-Pair Needle Nose (no biggie, have extras)
    1-Set Rapala Line Line Clippers (fingernail-type)
    1-Used 1" Ratchet Strap (used to strap Kayak to Cart, another no biggie, plenty of extras).
    Lost the kickstand off the PVC cart, but it's already been replaced (it's good to carry extra crap when you travel).

I think that's about it, no big money loss, maybe $20 total. I should have knocked-down the cart, and stuck it and the strap in the front hatch. Got everything ready to go again, and took my wet clothes to the Bath House washer/dryer. Got my rain suit and knee boots pretty well dried-out too. It's hard to set here looking out on the water, with no wind blowing and seeing only a handful of boats out there.

I have a problem of limited movement in my back and shoulders. It's all but impossible for me to get anything out of the rear well except for my Plano Box that fits right behind the seat. It'd be nice to have a (lol, watertite) container that mounted on my outside tube of the rod holder (vial a slightly larger piece of PVC) that I could swing-out to access, and swing-back over the rear well when not needed. I had a lid for the 5 gal bucket, but didn't see the need to put it on, doh!

I hear the Crappie.....they taunt me
    Apple Pie ProStaff

Post Thanks / Like

see, if you had some waist waders, then you could TURN around side saddle (even in cooler water) and get what you need from the tank well in the yak. My definition of cold weather is in the 50's as well, I can and do go when its colder but prefer not to tho.

Guess I should have said COLD WATER gear, getting wet, whether its from a wake over the bow, paddle drip, etc., in 50* weather with the water temp being in the 50's as well is NO fun, that's what I really meant. Plus, the gear would keep the wind off of you, and this keep you a bit warmer, comfortable, etc.,

Let's see those "brakes" you designed for the yak??
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast