Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Think I'll nickname my Kayak "Black Cloud"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Think I'll nickname my Kayak "Black Cloud"

'cause it seems there's usually one nearby. I posted yesterday about falling on my patio chair and busting the arm. Well, I thought I'd made it halfway "useable" by screwing a piece of scrap lumber to the arm until I left here and could stop and pick-up another chair. Well, unknown to me, I'd also broke part of one of the stubby rear legs as well. Of course I didn't find out until I was on the water today, setting catty-wampus in the Kayak.......real treat hitting stumps in the dark while setting off-balance, that'll put a pucker in your skivvies.

After about 10 minutes of fighting, I finally got the seat out from under me, and into the rear well. Was pleased to learn as well that my SprawlMart stadium cushion will hold air now for only a few minutes. Not a better time, now that I'm required to set on the hard Kayak seat. The wind had picked-up, quite a bit, and the swells were splashing over the side. Not a big deal, other than the seam on the seat of my rain pants (which I wear to keep the water off my pantlegs) had decided to give-up the ghost. Needless to sat, I had a soaked hind-end. I had also managed to forget to grab a bottle of Gatorade when I headed out this AM.

Wind made it hard for me to hold position, which undoubtedly cost me fish. Not a biggie though, since I was just out for "fun", didn't plan on keeping any (since I don't have a freezer).

Got back to shore, after all right-side paddling, and the wind keeping me sideways, even drug the paddle for a while to slow me down since I didn't relish the idea of kissing-off a stump at the speed I was being blown (though I was setting lower in the Kayak now, which boosted my confidence a bit). Beached the boat, managed to fall again, but this time not in the Kayak, I bet anyone watching me thinks I'm a boozer .

I cut the broken arms off the Patio Seat, to try and make it useable again, it's too uncomfortable without it. Everything in the nearby small town is over-priced, so not in a hurry to replace the chair until I pass someplace cheaper on the road. I whittled a bit more on the bottom side, so it once again sets flat and stable. Got dark before I could snap a pic of Frankenchair, but I'll get one tomorrow.

I did catch 7 or 8 Crappie, but sent them home to grow bigger. Oh, and I'm sold on Crappie Nibbles! Finished the day off with 2 bowls of ham and beans with cornbread. Nice to end the day with a full belly and dry clothes, as well as being inside out of that freakin' wind

Gratuitous fish/Kayak pic

Apple Pie ProStaff

Post Thanks / Like

Brian
    That is a nice looking crappie. I would take 30 of them. what can i bring down to you for the Kayak. what do you need for a seat? I will be there Tuesday or Wed morning. Send me a PM and let me know.

Post Thanks / Like

ppppffffftttt. Told ya bout that dark cloud. Sorry you're having all those problems. See, you didn't evel leave a mark on any of those stumps, just your skivvies.

maybe you should research some of those aftermarket seats, and see if any of them might serve your purpose. I've got a wally world air cushion that I've used for years at Nascar races and it holds air fine. Mine has a quarter size twist valve to let air in/out, found 'em in the hunting accessory area, has a cordura camo and black cover, had held up good. I've got one in each of my yaks and really helps my lower back from hurting.

BTW, nice fish, glad you caught some. Keep the funny stories coming,
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Cecil View Post
    Brian
    That is a nice looking crappie. I would take 30 of them. what can i bring down to you for the Kayak. what do you need for a seat? I will be there Tuesday or Wed morning. Send me a PM and let me know.
    I'm good Frank, but thanks for the offer!

I got out the hacksaw, pool noodle, and bungee cords and got 'er fixed-up for the meantime. Well, I guess I've eliminated the slight paddle to chair arm interference I experienced on occasion I completely glued my rocket launcher rod holder together, I'd left it unglued in case I need to knock it down (which I haven't), and it served as a temporary backrest yesterday, and popped-apart a couple times. I added the pool noodle to the back of the seat to just take-up some space between the 2, so hopefully it won't put so much stress on the back of the chair with the arms being gone now (meaning the seat back will bend back a bit and rest against the rod holders). Another added bonus is, I got it setting slightly lower in the kayak now. The bungees and noodle under the front of the seat are to (hopefully) keep the chair from sliding forward, now that it's flat on the bottom, and the seat in the Kayak is bowl-shaped. The red ratchet strap is just to keep the Kayak on my pull cart underneath it.

jimp- Well, I don't look at them so much as "problems", as I do the opportunity to give me something (repairing everything that breaks) to do when I ain't fishin' LOL! I may look into chair pads for this type of chair, that have the seat and back both padded (one piece). I really like these chairs, I just need to be more careful getting out of the Kayak, or at least fall the opposite direction.

"Funny stories"? Man, kick a guy when he's down

Oh, the good times I'm having far outweigh the bad. I'm just poking fun at myself in these posts, I don't think I need to rush-out and buy a rabbit foot keychain.
    Apple Pie ProStaff

Post Thanks / Like

I'll agree, you don't need a rabbits foot YET. Hope things hold together for ya.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

I hate to laugh at a time like this, but if it weren't for hard luck, what would you have?.......
    Innovation made fun in light of the situation. Got to you for the laughs today. It is a memorable trip already.
    Your gonna make up for it ~ I just know it's gonna happen.
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"