Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Lee pot crazy day

Post Thanks / Like

Default My Lee pot crazy day

After reading the thread here with all the info given I desided to modify my pot....bad thing!!!! cleaned out the pot, removed stand from the pot and proceded to drill out the orfice...bad...broke bit off in orfice...took about 45 min. to remove old bit part...did I mention that while I may have patients tying and pouring and powder coating, and painting eye's. I don't, I don't have patients with problems.....anyway...removed old bit...finish the clean out...orfice may be slightly larger than I perfer...but...first pouring session...went like this...every head came out perfect!!! the barbs were sharp on the ends of the heads, WOW...so I thought lets try the smaller stuff....well it poured so well...too well...the Matsua hooks don't set in the jig mold just right, so I got a blob of lead on the head...took little grinder modified the mold so the hook layed flat... tried again with great success and the tiny 1/32 barbs were very sharp!!! Oh the only head that messed up after that was me... driver error...man I poured more heads than I'll be able to powder coat tonight...I'm a happy camper!!! Lesson to self....maybe you need to think just a little longer about what all could happen before you leep...LOL later LB
    A Proud member of Lake Allatoona and Lake Weiss (Team Geezer)

Post Thanks / Like

lift

glad everything worked out okay and yeah when it pours great it is amazing the number of jigs you turn out!!!!!!!!!

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I got one without the happy ending. Mine got plugged up Thursday so I decided to do the same thing.now I had poured out led and pulled rod, scraped and cleaned everything. Drain hole still plugged. Decided to drill out. Now I have zero patients with things like this either. Did not know that the drain actually comes in at a angle. So I start drilling RupRo. Drilled out the side and through the heating element. So got her all tore down and parts ordered from Lee should be here by Wed. Stll haven't figured out why or with what the drain is plugged with.
    Lifebite what size bit did you use?
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

" Stll haven't figured out why or with what the drain is plugged with."

Trash!
    Trash floats in hot lead. But if it came loose from the bottom of the pot when the spout was open. then it will try to come out.
    My 10-2 pot is some 25 years old. I haven't drilled it out yet. I keep a piece of wire that has a fold in it to unclog the spout. (to keep the fingers out of the way of the hot lead), Large paper clip will do.
    I bought a 2" or 2 1/2" brass wire CUP style buffing wheel and 6" extension rod to buff the inside of the pot after the plunger is removed.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

The ball looking brushes plumbers use for copper pipe work well once you cut the handle off, and they're long enough. The wire thing on the spout works good for me too.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cray View Post
    Well I got one without the happy ending. Mine got plugged up Thursday so I decided to do the same thing.now I had poured out led and pulled rod, scraped and cleaned everything. Drain hole still plugged. Decided to drill out. Now I have zero patients with things like this either. Did not know that the drain actually comes in at a angle. So I start drilling RupRo. Drilled out the side and through the heating element. So got her all tore down and parts ordered from Lee should be here by Wed. Stll haven't figured out why or with what the drain is plugged with.
    Lifebite what size bit did you use?
    3/32 but now I wish I'd used 5/64th dont drill while its still hot I think that is why it broke off...please I did this on a whim...and got lucky....I forgot to pray before and so next time I will remember to pray first...go figure

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by canebreaker View Post
    " Stll haven't figured out why or with what the drain is plugged with."

Trash!
    Trash floats in hot lead. But if it came loose from the bottom of the pot when the spout was open. then it will try to come out.
    My 10-2 pot is some 25 years old. I haven't drilled it out yet. I keep a piece of wire that has a fold in it to unclog the spout. (to keep the fingers out of the way of the hot lead), Large paper clip will do.
    I bought a 2" or 2 1/2" brass wire CUP style buffing wheel and 6" extension rod to buff the inside of the pot after the plunger is removed.
    In my case what ever trash was in there every time I would load the mold with hooks the pot when I opened the gate it would just golb drip...have a wire on a tiny vise grip to clean out...my man cave time is so limited...that if I dont get production it is a waist of very valuable time...know what I mean? after modification never had to use the wire again we shall see next time I pour...will post results!

Post Thanks / Like

Time to do some experimenting today. Got an older pot Im gonna drill out and see how it goes.

Post Thanks / Like

I got tired of my lee bottom pour leaking. I ended up removing the plug mechanism and plugging the pour hole.
    I now use a bottom pour ladle and have had no casting problems.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by liftbite56 View Post
    3/32 but now I wish I'd used 5/64th dont drill while its still hot I think that is why it broke off...please I did this on a whim...and got lucky....I forgot to pray before and so next time I will remember to pray first...go figure
    Thanks for info. I didn't try hot. I had let it cool and tried to blow back through the hole with air compressor, then my A D D kicked in and I grabbed the drill. I seem to learn all my lesons the hard and expensive way. I didn't mean to hijack your thread. Just figured it might save someone from making the same mistake I did. Thanks Cane and Skeetbum, I'm going to find me a brush like that.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast