Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: He shoots, he scores!

Post Thanks / Like

Default He shoots, he scores!

After my purchase of a crappie rod, reel, jigs, and Crappie Nibbles yesterday, I hit the water at 6AM this morning. Shortly after sunrise I caught my 1st fish here, a White Bass. I tossed him back, he was eating size, but I had a vendetta to settle with Mr Crappie (the fish, not any member here who happens to have that username). Shortly after, my 1st crappie!

On the 3rd one, the cheap rod I bought snapped at the bottom of the 3rd section Fortunately I remembered I had an 18' Master Bream canepole, which I tossed in the Kayak, so out it came. Awkward as it was, I caught 3 more fish.

When I got back to shore, I was having trouble getting out of the Kayak, which I usually do. While I was half-way out, my knee buckled, and I went down hard in the seat, busting an arm on it

So after cleaning fish, and chatting with a neighbor, I hopped on the Scooter, went back to the Bait Shop, told the guy what a POS that rod was, and bought a better one, and a better reel. Got it rigged, patched the busted one together with spit, bubble gum, and duct tape (just for the heck of it), and scabbed a piece of scrap lumber onto the arm of my kayak seat.....so, ready for action in the AM

Oh, and I've got a new little friend who takes peanuts out of my hand. For some reason I keep seeing him spread over biscuits and covered in gravy

None were whoppers by any means, but each one put a smile on my face

This was the largest, 2 more were 1/2" shorter. In all fairness, there's a good 1/2" of lip past the edge of the scale.

They're all healthy, thick and meaty.....and oh so delicious!

Was a nice day, bit of a breeze, but not complaining, and coming in the water temp was 56*. Last I heard there was a slight chance of rain tomorrow, but I probably won't let that stop me. Not fishing any evenings (yet) because the welder working on the repair parts for my trailer was going to drop them off some evening after 5PM, so I don't want to miss him. After I get those, I'll give the evening fishing a shot.

Once again, life is good, fish on the stringer and in the belly...don't get no better than that!
    Apple Pie ProStaff

Post Thanks / Like

Posting pics of food that looks that good is just cruel punishment to those of us that have not eatin yet tonight.

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

Post Thanks / Like

finally, makes the trip worthwhile don't it. Congrats.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad it came together for you, good job and even better dinner.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk19 View Post
    Posting pics of food that looks that good is just cruel punishment to those of us that have not eatin yet tonight.
    Serve's ya' right for postin' all them fish pics

Well, catching a few today definitely helps offset some of the bad luck I've had so far.

Now.....time to find some biguns'

I'd have bet a $20 bill when I boated that one, it was 14-15"er....I guess I was a bit full of myself after catching a couple
    Apple Pie ProStaff

Post Thanks / Like

Good job! Way to go!! Great post!!
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do."
    Izaak Walton, 1653

Post Thanks / Like

Nice. I like your profile picture too. Walt Kowalski is awesome.

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Wtg!
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Feller, you sure know how to decorate a plate. WTG..........
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome camp supper! can I ask what batter is on your fillets they look perfect!
    THE DANGED OLE MEGLO-MART DONE BLOWED UP!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast