Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

View Poll Results: How long will you survive in 40 degree water?

Voters
129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Forever

6 4.65%
  • 2 hours

8 6.20%
  • 1 hour

31 24.03%
  • 15 minutes

84 65.12%
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hypothermia- how long will you live in cold water?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hypothermia- how long will you live in cold water?

TheChilling Truth About Cold Water

Survival Times in Cold Water Without Protective Clothing

Water Temperature
    Loss of Dexterity
    Exhaustion or
    Expected Time of
    Degrees C
    Degrees F
    with no protective clothing
    Unconsciousness
    Survival
    Under 2 min.
    Under 15 min.
    Under 15 to 45 min.
    0.3 to 4.5
    32.5 - 40
    Under 3 min.
    15 to 30 min.
    30 to 90 min.
    4.5 to 10
    40 - 50
    Under 5 min.
    30 to 60 min.
    1 to 3 hrs.
    10 to 15.5
    50 - 60
    10 to 15 min.
    1 to 2 hrs.
    1 to 6 hrs.
    15.5 to 21
    60 - 70
    30 to 40 min.
    2 to 7 hrs.
    2 to 40 hrs.
    21 to 26.5
    70 - 80
    1 to 2 hrs.
    2 to 12 hrs.
    3 hrs. to indefinite
    Over 26.5
    Over 80
    2 to 12 hrs.
    Indefinite
    Indefinite
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

If the exhaustion doesn't kill you first, the hypothermia will.

Did you know that most cases of hypothermia occur in the fall and spring when air temps are 50-70 degrees?
    Most poeple dress for cold weather and underestimate the effects of mild weather, thus underdress in mild weather. Add in water or wind, and wind and water and things quickly turn nasty fast.

Be safe, we want you to post another day.

Got any near misses, post up so the rest of us can learn from your experience.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I think many studies have shown it's not necessarily the amount of time spent in the water, but the initial shock when you go in that kills. The bodies natural response to the shock of cold water is to inhale. Once you suck that water into your lungs, it's pretty much curtains for you with no life jacket. I know NY, and now PA have laws that folks of any age on boats 16 feet or less, must where life jackets at all times between Nov and April I believe. With the life jacket on, you now have a chance to survive.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shellback View Post
    I know NY, and now PA have laws that folks of any age on boats 16 feet or less, must where life jackets at all times between Nov and April I believe. With the life jacket on, you now have a chance to survive.

Correct. From the first day of Nov. to the last day of Apr.

Post Thanks / Like

Good Law!!

Dan

I think many studies have shown it's not necessarily the amount of time spent in the water, but the initial shock when you go in that kills. The bodies natural response to the shock of cold water is to inhale. Once you suck that water into your lungs, it's pretty much curtains for you with no life jacket. I know NY, and now PA have laws that folks of any age on boats 16 feet or less, must where life jackets at all times between Nov and April I believe. With the life jacket on, you now have a chance to survive.

Post Thanks / Like

II don't like this law, first it's someone telling me what I have to do or what they think is good for me. I understand the dangers that come with boating in the cold months of the year, the people that push for these kinds of laws are either insurance companies or groups that think they are put on this earth to take care of and look out for our saftey.

I understand the we need some rules to keep people safe but some laws are just going to far as to safe gaurd me from myself.

just my thoughts

thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by short grub View Post
    II don't like this law, first it's someone telling me what I have to do or what they think is good for me. I understand the dangers that come with boating in the cold months of the year, the people that push for these kinds of laws are either insurance companies or groups that think they are put on this earth to take care of and look out for our saftey.

I understand the we need some rules to keep people safe but some laws are just going to far as to safe gaurd me from myself.

just my thoughts

thank you
    Well the laws probably also protect those who may have to take chances rescuing someone. It's nice to think that you are responsible for yourself, but I'm sure there's a lot of first responders that had to rescue those who thought they could take care of themselves during the past hurricane. With seatbelts being mandatory for many years now, I still see deaths in car accidents due to the folks being thrown from the car or becoming part of the windshield.

Post Thanks / Like

I know NY, and now PA have laws that folks of any age on boats 16 feet or less, must where life jackets at all times between Nov and April I believe. With the life jacket on, you now have a chance to survive.
    Its actually folks of any age on boats less than 16 feet.

Quite a difference when you own a 16 foot boat

Edit: I wanted to make sure I had my facts straight so I went on the fish commision website and grabbed the new law, or a piece of it anyway.

"MANDATORY COLD WEATHER LIFE JACKET WEA
    • Beginning November 1, 2012, boaters must wear a life jacket on

boats less than 16 feet in length or any canoe or kayak during the

cold weather months from November 1 through April 30. Recreational

boating fatalities that occur in Pennsylvania from November through

April are primarily due to the effects of cold water immersion. When

water temperatures are less than 70 degrees F, cold water shock is a

major factor in boating fatalities. Victims who wear a life jacket when

exposed to cold water have potentially life-saving advantages such as
    "
    Last edited by bobothewizard; 11-02-2012 at 06:54 PM.

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

FIRST. I WOULD WEAR A VEST OF SOME TYPE IN COLD WEATHER REGUARDLESS OF BOAT SIZE . SECOND . I AGREE WITH SHORT GRUB . THE STATES/ FED GOVERMENT ALLOW TOBACCO PRODUCTS TO BE SOLD KNOWING THE HARMFUL EFFECTS ! HOW IS IT DIFFERENT ?

Post Thanks / Like

Think about the law this way. So you are out winter fishing and decide you don't need to wear a life jacket. Something happens, and you fall out of the boat, swallow some water, and down you go. A little later someone sees your boat circling with no one in it, or your family calls and says you haven't returned from your fishing trip. Ya think authorities or your family are going to say oh well, he's gone and go on with their lives? That ain't gonna happen. Rescue people will be out, divers will be searching for your body, all risking their lives. Heck, you're dead, no big deal for you, but it's a big deal for those who have to recover you body and bury you. Same deal with seat belts. Ya think first responders like picking up broken bodies because someone thought the law for seat belts was an intrusion on their liberties?

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast