Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How far into winter season is the crappie fishing going to be good in Ohio area?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How far into winter season is the crappie fishing going to be good in Ohio area?

Just planning on when I'm going to winterize my boat. How long before they are hard to find. Well harder than right now.

Post Thanks / Like

The fish eat all winter and are generally easier to find the colder it gets. Mostly the weather runs fisherman off the lake.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Alabama. I lived in Ohio for over 50 years. When I could not take my boat out I would fish from shore until the water was frozen over. I did not ice fish but a lot of my friends did. The point being that there will be fish every day eating something. Bundle up and stay warm. Go fish!
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    The fish eat all winter and are generally easier to find the colder it gets. Mostly the weather runs fisherman off the lake.
    X2 - As another "next door neighbor" to you here in Indiana, I can attest that the boat doesn't get winterized until the ice anglers are seen out on the frozen water. Even if we have to break ice at the ramp with the boat, if you can reach open water, you can catch a good mess of crappie. Historically, the first week in December is usually about the end of it, but it varies. Last year we caught crappie from the boat in every single month of winter (Nov-Mar). The lake never froze enough that we couldn't get out for at least 1 or 2 trips - hence, I never winterized the boat

-T9

Post Thanks / Like

I dont winterize mine I go till the ice locks me out on the lake. I also fish the ohio river for saugers on foot or out of my boat and I will fish them until next spring. One thing if you winter fish out of a boat is to carry an old jar jug of some sorts to use the bathroom in so you dont have to be or stand on the edge of the boat. It could be icy or windy or the waves are real bad, this is so someone doesnt fall in freezing water and risk drowning or hyperthermia.

Post Thanks / Like

Good Advice!!

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by ezgo View Post
    I dont winterize mine I go till the ice locks me out on the lake. I also fish the ohio river for saugers on foot or out of my boat and I will fish them until next spring. One thing if you winter fish out of a boat is to carry an old jar jug of some sorts to use the bathroom in so you dont have to be or stand on the edge of the boat. It could be icy or windy or the waves are real bad, this is so someone doesnt fall in freezing water and risk drowning or hyperthermia.

Post Thanks / Like

they bite all year here in the cincinnati area....just gotta find em......welcome from the east side of cincy

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Post Thanks / Like

Every year I say I'm going to put her away while the weather is nice so I don't have to suffer and then the water temp drops into the low 50's (nice catches of crappie wait till next week), high 40's (nice catches of crappie and saugeye) wait till next week, low 40's (nice catches of crappie and saugeye) wait till next week, high 30's (nice catches of crappie) wait till next week and then it's too late and there's ice on the water and I'm wishing I'd put her away sooner just wait till next year... The coldest we came off the water one night last year was 27 degrees outside. IMHO this is the best bite of the year for the larger fish but ya gotta be self sufficient out there cause there's no one else out there to help you if you get in trouble on the water.

Post Thanks / Like

i just make sure there is no water in the lower unit lube and its good to go all winter. it ends when/if we get ice up here.

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I put my boat away on the first weekend of December, regardless of the bite. Weather changes so quick up here, i wont take a chance on leaving it out in the snow. I'll fish from shore until the lake has good ice and then i pull out my ice gear.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast