Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Up the Creek today

Spaceman is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Up the Creek today

Had a wonderful day! Launched from Triana @ 0630. Traveled about thirty minutes to the first stop. First line was in the water around 0700. Surface water temp this morning was 58 in the TN River and 55 in the creek. Air temp was about 33-34 degrees this morning. It warmed up nicely about mid-morning. The wind picked up around 1000. The bite was actually better in the wind today.

Caught about 40 total Crappie. Kept 8 keepers...largest was 12". Released about another 12-15 keepers. Actually, at the end of the day I decided I didn't want to clean fish and gave the 8 keepers to two nice gentlemen that didn't have as much luck today. The rest were really small ones today. One of the pictures below I took from my phone is about 5 inches. I guess you can tell, I am not the best photographer. But, the best part was the total day. You can get a glimse of the foliage behind fish.

There were also many feisty bream today. Probably caught 25-30. I also caught a handful of white striped bass.

I fished jigs today and minnows today. Jig was 1/16 chartreuse with a #2 hook. Baits were Bobby Garland monkey milk and Blue thunder. For minnows I used a slip-bobber and a #1 brass aberdeen light wire hook. For those that debate hook size, the bream and small crappie easily took the #1 and #2 hooks.Name:  2012-10-31 13.37.48.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  32.4 KBName:  2012-10-31 07.37.38.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  46.2 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Spaceman,

Great report and great catch. I love fall once everyone starts chasing deer and the water skiers go home for the year!!

Post Thanks / Like

which creek were you fishing?

Post Thanks / Like

huls1. I fished Cotaco Creek. I launch at Triana and make the mile run down river to Cotaco.

Post Thanks / Like

Spaceman, where do you get your minnows when you put in at Triana? I'm moving to Madison next month and plan to put in more there and Limestone because they will be so much closer.

Post Thanks / Like

Greenbriar road just off I-65 The gas station has bait and some fishing supplies good prices and they give you some extra minnows.They also serve food..Buster bait and tackle has live bait but the prices are very high they are on Governors drive.

Post Thanks / Like

Alabamaal is right. Chevron on the southside of the I565 Greenbriar exit. They are open 24 hours a day.