Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Has anyone seen this rod before?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Has anyone seen this rod before?

It's an Eagle Claw Featherlight Combo, but I've never seen this one before, only this one. I'm wondering if it's just an old model of the Featherlight, or maybe it's a new model for 2013? It looks to be the same blank, and I think I can even see part of the eagle on the logo.

Has anyone else seen this?

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Middle Tennessee. I'm not 100% sure I've seen that exact rod, but I will give you my input on other Eagle Claw rods I have Handled. First, they are good rods, meaning well built with good components. Keep in mind that they are fiberglass and handle very different from today's graphite offerings. The bend is more "parabolic", or from end to end. They have less of a bony nature in the lower half of the rod. This isn't bad but if you choose a light or UL action, a heavy fish is going to put a strong bend into that rod and make it harder to control that fish. Also, casting heavier baits take a more concerted effort to control. If you like an ultralight these are great rods. I prefer a light action, fast taper rod for the control on the cast and with the "surprise" fish that come along now and then. My favorite these days is a 6'6" Berkley lightning rod with medium action and a soft tip. A 2000 series reel with 4 or 6lb hi vis line finished it off and it gets a lot of play. The price of the Eagle Claw(Wright McGill) is good, the reel looks to be good also, and you can do lots worse. Good luck looking for your new rig, lots to choose from, and this is just my humble opinion.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skeetbum View Post
    Welcome from Middle Tennessee. I'm not 100% sure I've seen that exact rod, but I will give you my input on other Eagle Claw rods I have Handled. First, they are good rods, meaning well built with good components. Keep in mind that they are fiberglass and handle very different from today's graphite offerings. The bend is more "parabolic", or from end to end. They have less of a bony nature in the lower half of the rod. This isn't bad but if you choose a light or UL action, a heavy fish is going to put a strong bend into that rod and make it harder to control that fish. Also, casting heavier baits take a more concerted effort to control. If you like an ultralight these are great rods. I prefer a light action, fast taper rod for the control on the cast and with the "surprise" fish that come along now and then. My favorite these days is a 6'6" Berkley lightning rod with medium action and a soft tip. A 2000 series reel with 4 or 6lb hi vis line finished it off and it gets a lot of play. The price of the Eagle Claw(Wright McGill) is good, the reel looks to be good also, and you can do lots worse. Good luck looking for your new rig, lots to choose from, and this is just my humble opinion.
    I just finished doing some research and it turns out that it is, in fact, a new Featherlight. It seems that Wal-Mart is the only place carrying them right now. I've been looking for some rods that I can cast small lures with. Anywhere from 1/16 down to 1/64 oz. The handle of the Featherlight is what kept me from buying one. Now that it's a completely different style, I think I will buy one. Thanks for the welcoming and I do appreciate your opinion. You're right that there's tons to choose from, but I'm narrowing it down as I go!

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Should you get to Bass Pro or someplace big, look at the St.Croix 6'6" light fast action(66lf on the blue label, the 60lf is also close) and you will see what I mean about a good balance of action. I warn you, it will probably go on your want list.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skeetbum View Post
    Should you get to Bass Pro or someplace big, look at the St.Croix 6'6" light fast action(66lf on the blue label, the 60lf is also close) and you will see what I mean about a good balance of action. I warn you, it will probably go on your want list.
    As far as graphite rods go, that's already on my list. I have a 7' ML St. Croix Triumph and I feel thumps that don't even register on my Shakespeare Alpha Graphite.