Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Help me figure it out.....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help me figure it out.....

I have been fairly successful catching crappie most everytime i go off of brush and structure, but there are times that I go and can't hit a lick off of the proven spots....

I need help on how to fish creek and river channels..... Am I making it alot harder than it is???? I know that the summer and winter patterns call for fishing this type of "structure" and I just can't seem to figure it out?????

Are there any good books, articles, dvds(truly help, i don't want to just sit there and watch some guy catching fish in the middle of the lake)
    that would help????

What do you guys do??????

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Johnboat, sit back relax and take a deep breath. Everything is going to be okay. Now there are three things you need to do to figure this out:
    1) read the posts
    2) read the posts
    3) read the posts

Seriously, the guys here will help you with techniques you need to catch crappie yearround. The Mississippi board has some good discussions on trolling crankbaits. The SC board do alot on night fishing. And don't forget to read the articles, night stalking, crankbait trolling, spider rigging, etc.

Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

As tkpaul said, ARTICALS. At the top of the page in the smaller print, pretty much covers it all...izzy

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Where are the State boards?

Quote Originally Posted by tkpaul
    Hey Johnboat, sit back relax and take a deep breath. Everything is going to be okay. Now there are three things you need to do to figure this out:
    1) read the posts
    2) read the posts
    3) read the posts

Seriously, the guys here will help you with techniques you need to catch crappie yearround. The Mississippi board has some good discussions on trolling crankbaits. The SC board do alot on night fishing. And don't forget to read the articles, night stalking, crankbait trolling, spider rigging, etc.

Good luck
    I have asked this several times. Where are the state boards. I havent seen em in months?

Thanx
    Love, what more can I say

Post Thanks / Like

From the main menu board, scroll down and click on "state message boards" sometimes they are already displayed and all you have to do is scroll down and pick a state.
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mighty
    I have asked this several times. Where are the state boards. I havent seen em in months?

Thanx
    Here you go a link to all boards here...
    http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/forumdisplay.php?f=6

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Default start trolling

If you fish a big lake, with depths over 50 ft, trolling may help.If your lake has shad for the main forage, hot n tots fished about 12 ft down will put you in the favorite suspended zone.If your lake has alewives, go deeper, 15 to 20 ft. be near the brush, and blow downs in deep water.Crappie have this annoying habit of suspending, use it to your advantage.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb You might also want .....

to look thru these articles : http://www.bnmpoles.com/newsletter/index.html

Myself, personally, when I get to go during the Summer months, will fish shaded banks (over blowdowns or submerged timber) from daylight til midday ... and call it a day.
    And there's always night fishing.

Also, if your lake develops a thermocline, don't fish below it ... find your structure/cover areas that intersect with it, and fish slightly above where they intersect.

I think Summer Crappie are more difficult to find, because they are "on the move" more than other times. The water is warmer, so their metabolism is higher .... so they should have to eat more often. This may be why they tend to follow baitfish schools around, often suspended in deep or open water.

........... luck2ya ...... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Default River fishing

River fishing is my main type of fishing. Very hard sometimes, but usually when I find them, they're good fish. I start like you said on the brushpiles, treetops, shaded areas, and the base of deep water trees (12-20ft deep). If these don't show like you stated, I then turn toward the deeper water of the channel and watch for shad. I take a pole in each hand and slowly troll along jigging with each pole at a different depth. I try to ease right up to shad and fish under them. This kindof goes against my grain in open water and not on brush, but I do catch alot of fish like this. I try to work areas over real good before trying something different. Sometimes it's just a matter of a different twitch, color, speed, jig type, depth, or some kind of change in presentation that hits paydirt. Slowly dragging the jig and not working it works sometimes. Pitching it out and allowing a slow-tightlined fall works. Ease it into a deep brushpile and just let the jig sit for a few seconds. For me, it boils down to trying different things and finding some sort of a pattern. Hope this gives you some sort of ideas. Sorry it's so long, but this is my favorite type of fishing.
    Catch and Release: Catch the slabs and Release the little'uns

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input guys..... I will just have to keep trying.....

It is just hard to go out and try something new and stick to giving it a chance.... I always end up trying to make the honey holes work.....