Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: nyone else use an Achor System like this?

Post Thanks / Like

Default nyone else use an Achor System like this?

This is the set up I started to use this year. Anyone else use something like this?

Palmetto Kayak Fishing: Quick release DIY kayak anchor system + bottle opener

Post Thanks / Like

Kinda sort of....I made a similar one from PVC and pool noodle. I clipped a carabiner into the loop at the top, which is clipped into the O ring of my trolley. I used it last week on KY Lake in a stiff wind and everything worked well. I like it because now I don't have all the anchor rope strung-out all over the kayak.

Apple Pie ProStaff

Post Thanks / Like

I used the write up as a guide but did not like the excess anchor line being wrapped around the dog float, so I use a small rope winder to keep the excess rope somewhat controlled, and a small 3lb hand weight. Works good. Don;t havt a anchor trolley yet, that's one of my winter projects, have all the stuff, just not on the yak.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

That is a nice looking setup.
    I'm getting all my pieces together to make my trolley, should be able to install it next week.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

I actually need to buy a folding anchor (to make stowing in the Kayak easier), but I'm already over-budget on my trip, plus I'd made these anchors for a different boat so I already had 'em, not to mention they hold really well.
    Apple Pie ProStaff

Post Thanks / Like

NeonMoon - Nice simple set up. I like the way you used the notch in the bottom of the PVC to lock in the line. I may have to make up few of these. My set up is nice but the velcro straps top and bottom slow things down a bit.

Jimp - I use less line on my set up. Most of the time I fish outlets and rivers, so I'm never in water that's over 20-30 feet deep.

The thing I like most is this set is quick release. If I have to fight a large fish or get snaged, I can leave the anchor behind and come right back to my spot. the Nite Ize Carabiner is quick and easy to use. Most of the time the carabiner stays on the Yak.

Post Thanks / Like

NYHB:

I know I have too much rope on mine but I haven't fished in a river yet, just my home lake. From my readings, seems like 3-5x, (maybe more) the depth is the rule of thumb for how much rope to have out for a safe anchor position/situation, especially in current or wind. At least if I ever need the rope, I got it, and its easy to wind up on the winder I have, fits behind the seat, and out of the way for me.

NM:
    Unless you fish in the wind or strong current, a small 2-3lb hand exercise weight will hold the yak just fine. I've read where some people use a 1.5lb weight with good results. I had the 3lb here at the house, so I used it.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, have one very close, functions the same.
    The best way to get to where you want to be in the future is to act like you are there TODAY.