PDA

View Full Version : Fall Crappie Camp????

Jerry Blake
06-28-2006, 06:32 AM
Several folks have expressed an interest in having a Fall Crappie Camp on Lake Greeson in SW Arkansas - http://www.arkansas.com/lakes-rivers/lake/id/17 - so lets set some dates and make plans. Except for the weather the Crappie Camp we had the first week of April this year - http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showthread.php?t=18880&highlight=Crappie+Camp - was a great success and a lot of fun.

The Fall Feeding Frenzy should be in full swing from mid October to mid November and the Fall Foliage should peek about that time as well. The weather should be very comfortable and more stable than it is in the Spring.

We catch a lot of crappie in the Fall when the water temps drop and they fatten up for winter and the next years spawn. This was a typical half-day Fall trip on October 22nd last year:

http://www.actionfishingtrips.com/10-22-05am.JPG

Again Darryl and I will try to put folks on fish and we'll have a fish fry or two. We'll also try to have several mini-seminars and hope that folks will be willing to "show and tell" their tactics and experiences. Depending on the lake level the condos we put in for Spring Crappie Camp should be productive but we'll post coordinates for other condos if needed so everyone will have good places to fish.

Rather than trying to stretch Crappie Camp over two weekends I think we should have it either on a Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday or Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. Of course everyone would be welcome to come earlier and stay longer if they wish.

So, speak up if you're interested, throw some dates out and lets make plans for a Fall Crappie Camp.

titleman
06-28-2006, 07:59 AM
Now you're talking!

I missed the spring camp, but i have a gift certificate for a trip with Darryl. I am waiting on the fall run to use it, so a fall camp would be perfect!

Titleman

tim
06-28-2006, 10:14 AM
Count me in i missed the spring camp.

ceb
06-28-2006, 11:49 AM
Fall is my favorite time of the year for crappie fishing. However, my schedule will be at a maximum this year.

I will be on fall break Oct. 7-15. So either of those weekends or that week would be perfect for me. I regret not being able to meet everyone during the spring, but I had a blast hanging out with Jerry and Darryl that following weekend. I definitely will be looking forward to this for the rest of the summer.

TAE73
06-28-2006, 12:46 PM
So you know we have one already planned at Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri October 13-15. Everyone is welcome to join, all the information is listed in the post below.

http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showthread.php?t=22171

roybuoy
06-28-2006, 03:28 PM
Count me in Jerry

gooch
06-28-2006, 04:19 PM
May have to hang a deer stand close to the lake so I can bow hunt and crappie fish but I will get there for part of it. I just hope Mrs Fatboy be sending any more of her homeade candy for the fall crappie camp.

Jerry Blake
06-28-2006, 06:58 PM
May have to hang a deer stand close to the lake so I can bow hunt and crappie fish but I will get there for part of it. I just hope Mrs Fatboy be sending any more of her homeade candy for the fall crappie camp.

Hey Gooch:

I've been seeing some very tasty looking deer crossing the road going into Kirby Landing so I'm confident you'll provide the camp with fresh venison. What could be better than fresh caught fish for lunch and fresh deer meat for dinner?

Jerry Blake
07-11-2006, 07:26 PM
How about the last weekend of October for Fall Crappie Camp? We could start on Thursday the 26th and go through Tuesday the 31st to accomadate as many folk's schedule as possible. That should put us in prime time for the Fall Feeding Frenzy and it should be perfect camping weather - probably cool enough for a campfire in the evenings.

slabbandit
07-12-2006, 05:04 AM
Sounds like a plan! Count Debra and I in on the weekend. I'll bet we can get her to make a couple more cakes and a few pies too.

canebreaker
07-12-2006, 05:49 AM
I would love to join ya'll on a fish camp. I'll keep an eye on this thread so to plan the trip.

Darryl Morris
07-12-2006, 04:02 PM
That weekend is the end of daylight savings time too, so that will give us an extra hour of fishing, lol. Falling back can be a good thing sometimes.

jfraley
07-14-2006, 11:27 AM
I would like to be there. I will have wait and see.

fish.on
07-15-2006, 07:19 AM
Bad timing for Ok hunters that's our muzzleloading season guys.

Jerry Blake
07-15-2006, 08:14 PM
Bad timing for Ok hunters that's our muzzleloading season guys.

There are plenty of deer around Lake Greeson - some gooduns too! Nothing wrong with hunting in the morning and fishing in the evening. :)

scrap
07-18-2006, 08:54 PM
I will be on long weekend Sat - Wed. I look forward to catching crappie with you.

Ohio Angler
07-19-2006, 03:12 PM
I just want to encourage anyone who is thinking about attending the Fall Crappie Camp to do so.I think you will be glad you did.I attended the spring camp and had a great time with Jerry, Darryll and the gang and I learned a great deal about Crappie fishing.I can just imagine how beautiful Lake Greeson will be in late October and if I did'nt have a wedding to attend that weekend I would be trying to figure out a way to get there myself.I sure wish Kirby,Arkansas was a few hours closer to Ohio!

thudpucker
07-19-2006, 10:01 PM
I think the Crappie camp should be held on one of the largest lakes, and in the middle of August.
If we can learn to catch em' under those conditions, you can say the Camp was a success.

I can see this being a really good time together, no matter what or where or when!

slabbandit
07-19-2006, 10:25 PM
Hey Jerry and Darryl, what are the conditions that we will be fishing that time of year. Average depth we can expect to be fishing,ect.

Got any place for us die-hard jig fishermen(women) to fish?

Debra and I are already looking forward to being there!:)

Jerry Blake
07-20-2006, 05:25 PM
Hey Slabbandit:

By Fall Crappie Camp time the water temps will be falling so the crappie should be feeding aggressively in the 8 to 12-foot range over brushpiles.

We'll post an up-load-able list of waypoint like we did for Spring Crappie Camp a couple weeks before Fall Crappie Camp so there will be plenty of good spots for everyone to fish. We have over 250 brushpiles in Greeson but which ones are productive will depend on where the lake level is by then. With very little rainfall in the last month and the demand for power generation up the lake is falling several inches a day right now so there's no telling where it will be by the end of October.

slabbandit
07-20-2006, 05:41 PM
Sounds good! Sure can't wait for the cooler weather to get here!

J White
07-27-2006, 06:39 PM
[QUOTE=Ohio Angler]I just want to encourage anyone who is thinking about attending the Fall Crappie Camp to do so.I think you will be glad you did.I attended the spring camp and had a great time with Jerry, Darryll and the gang and I learned a great deal about Crappie fishing.QUOTE]

I'd like to second that, had a great time at the Spring Camp.
Guess I'd better stay close to home for this one, lots of "stuff" going on,
but hope I can make another! Jeff

Jerry Blake
07-28-2006, 08:06 PM
Hey Jeff:

Crappie Camp won't be the same without you! Maybe the "stuff" around there will clear up and you can slip over for a few days. You're trolling techniques might work better here in the fall. I know they'll smack a jig on the fall when the water cools off! :)

Darryl Morris
07-31-2006, 06:14 PM
I sure do not like to wish time away, but these dog days are making me cranky. I'm looking to milder temperatures and great fellowship.

I was once taught that "fellowship" meant "everyone in the same boat rowing in the same direction." Now, I know that is just an analogy, but it's really funny when thought of that way with a bunch of crappie anglers. LOL!!!

gonefishing
08-09-2006, 08:49 PM
Right now it looks good for me. I hope to be able to make it .
Sam

paddlebug235
08-10-2006, 10:23 PM
Have not been in here since April 2004. Missed out on the spring camp and any details. Would really like to know the format.

We loved our day with Jerry in the spring of 2004. and would love to fish Greeson in the Fall.

Were both getting a litttle long in the tooth, so camping is not high on our list. Besides we made a mistake several years ago and got stuck with a time share we seldom get to use. The good thing is they have a place at Hot Springs. We would still like the campfire and the fish stories if you all will have us.

John

DRPEPPER
08-15-2006, 12:40 PM
Hey Jerry/Darryl
I am a rookey to this forum, and the Crappie Camp is new to me. What all geos on at these camps?

DP

Darryl Morris
08-15-2006, 02:28 PM
Here's a link to some pics of the Spring Crappie Camp - http://www.familyfishingtrips.com/CrappieCamp2006.htm - as the sign said "Fun, Fellowship and Friends."

In jest, it's just a bunch of crappie anglers getting together catching crappie, eating crappie and telling lies about crappie, lol.

Jerry and I host it on Lake Greeson, AR at Kirby Landing. With or without boat, come, camp and enjoy the fellowship. Stay the whole time or just the days you can. We will try to have a fish fry on a day when the most folks are there.

We guide on this lake and we try to point everyone in the right direction to find some good slabs. The spring camp turned out to be a bit rainy and slow fishing but we had a great time. Since there are as many different ways to crappie fish as there are anglers, we ask that everyone show and tell their techniques. We figure the best way to learn is to see it firsthand.

For the Fall Camp I personally hope to get more pics of folks in their boats on the water and definitely more pics of folks and their fish. We'll have to work that one out somehow because some tend to fillet them puppies out before I could get a digital of them.

Anyway, I'm sure that Jerry and others that were there in the Spring will have more to say about it. Hope to see you there.

DRPEPPER
08-16-2006, 03:08 PM
Thanks Darryl
Is the last weekend in October firm. Some of us with real jobs (that get in the way) have to make plans.
And....is there anyway for these replies to spell check. I read my previous message. I ain't really a hillbilly.
DP

Darryl Morris
08-17-2006, 08:02 AM
Thanks Darryl
Is the last weekend in October firm. Some of us with real jobs (that get in the way) have to make plans.
And....is there anyway for these replies to spell check. I read my previous message. I ain't really a hillbilly.
DP

As far as I know, yes the date is firm.

Darryl Morris
08-19-2006, 11:14 AM
Since I'll be armchair fishing for a while, I need something to do. All those that are coming to the Fall Crappie Camp, give me specific dates, etc. when you'll be there so I can start planning some events and when we should do them when most folks can participate. Obviously, the fish fry is on the list, but I'm thinking about some specific seminars or roundtable discussion with guest speakers and maybe even a one-day fun tourney and maybe a multi-day big fish challenge. We might even want to look at the possibility of having a kid's day where I can get some press releases out for general population or perhaps make some contacts with children's home in the area to come out for a day.

Anyway, let me know when you'll be there and what you think and some of your ideas and I'll see what I can do.

DRPEPPER
08-21-2006, 11:40 AM
I am taking vacation the Fri and Mon of that weekend. I plan to arrive sometime Fri AM and leave Mon when ever.
Had to get the boy settled back in at OBU this weekend, and couldn't resist driving on up to Geeson to do some exploring. Forgot where you said it would be and explored Daisy state park. Does Kirby have tent sights?
DP

Bubba60
08-21-2006, 03:19 PM
Dr P,

Yes they have tent sites, think they are $14 per night. The better half and I camped there during the spring crappie camp and had a blast even tho she had to put the tent back up while I was bs-ing with the guys. Hope to see you there, as we plan on coming and staying about the same length of time. Great camaraderie and valuable info exchanged.

SpeckChaser
08-21-2006, 08:15 PM
Since I'll be armchair fishing for a while, I need something to do. All those that are coming to the Fall Crappie Camp, give me specific dates, etc. when you'll be there so I can start planning some events and when we should do them when most folks can participate. Obviously, the fish fry is on the list, but I'm thinking about some specific seminars or roundtable discussion with guest speakers and maybe even a one-day fun tourney and maybe a multi-day big fish challenge. We might even want to look at the possibility of having a kid's day where I can get some press releases out for general population or perhaps make some contacts with children's home in the area to come out for a day.

Anyway, let me know when you'll be there and what you think and some of your ideas and I'll see what I can do.

2 of us plan on arriving from Panama City, FL Oct 23. We'lll be fishing with Jerry the 24th and staying the rest of the week, leaving Saturday in time to get back home before midnight. Look forward to seeing you.

paddlebug235
08-28-2006, 09:41 PM
We got our room reservations tonight.

We will for sure fish Saturday thru Tuesday and may get in on Friday.

We don't have grandkids so we would welcome the chance to take at least one youngster from the childrens home out for a day. If that day is the first day we're there would definatly like to be able have them put some fish in the boat.

I hope if you have a kids day they will be included in a fish fry.

Seminars and guest speakers sound great as the more we fish the less we seem to know.

:rolleyes:

DRPEPPER
09-01-2006, 11:54 AM
Obviously, the fish fry is on the list, but I'm thinking about some specific seminars or roundtable discussion with guest speakers

I hope you have your ID situation fixed so you will read this. I am thinking about buying a GPS before this event so someone can school me on how to use it (and what it is really good for). Any suggestions on a bargain one. I have never thought I might need one until I joined this sight.

DP

Darryl Morris
09-01-2006, 07:01 PM
I hope you have your ID situation fixed so you will read this. I am thinking about buying a GPS before this event so someone can school me on how to use it (and what it is really good for). Any suggestions on a bargain one. I have never thought I might need one until I joined this sight.

DP

My recommendation would be the Garmin GPSMap76 and purchase a data cable, 12v power cable and an appropriate mount. Here is a link to a good site with good prices. They show the full retail prices but when you click on their button to check their discount prices it's much less expensive. -- http://www.gpsdiscount.com/products/index.html?p=638

Jerry Blake
09-01-2006, 09:50 PM

DP

Hey DP:

I agree with Darryl - the Garmin Map76 is a real good unit for the money. Much bigger screen than the Gekos and Etrexs. If you can find one of the older versions that only holds 500 waypoints you should be able to get it for under $200. For power and data cables I recommend an eBay store - http://stores.ebay.com/RNRPLACE_W0QQsspagenameZl2QQtZkm. I've purchased several for my self and several more for other guys and we've been real pleased with them. They're less than half the price as cables from Garmin.

Bring your GPS to Crappie Camp and we'll get you lined out on it. You'll wonder how you ever got along without one.

paddlebug235
09-05-2006, 06:06 PM
A seminar on using the GPS Sounds great. Ours is an Etrex Legend

Darryl Morris
09-05-2006, 06:31 PM
A seminar on using the GPS Sounds great. Ours is an Etrex Legend

To what extent would you like the seminar? Not trying to be smarteleky or anything; just want to be prepared -- concepts and how to use it for crappie fishing or everything from gps concepts to data downloads. If we want everything I'll need someone to bring their laptop with EasyGPS loaded on it.

This would be a good seminar to spend some serious time on. Using bank lineups can get you on the tops but using a gps will get you on them much faster. And it definitely pays off when your fishing and maintaining more than a few tops.

Consider this: if you fish for 5 hours and during that time you fish 20 different brushpiles. If when using bank lineups it takes you 5 minutes to accurately locate the brushpile and only 30 seconds when using a gps, you've just added 90 minutes of productive fishing to your trip. Hmmm, a gps is well worth the money, especially when your fishing more than just a few spots each time you wet the keel.

DRPEPPER
09-06-2006, 08:23 AM
[QUOTE=Darryl Morris]To what extent would you like the seminar? Not trying to be smarteleky or anything; just want to be prepared -- concepts and how to use it for crappie fishing or everything from gps concepts to data downloads. If we want everything I'll need someone to bring their laptop with EasyGPS loaded on it.

My son tells me I am "electronically challenged". Sometimes I have to wait on him to come home to fix the TV. I intend to have my unit ready (with his help) so you can show me how you use one. I intend to be shooting the bull and fishing more than anything else on this trip. You scared me off when you mentioned a lap top. But, if it requires a computer to operate a GPS, then I guess I need to know that too.

DP

Jerry Blake
09-06-2006, 04:51 PM
My son tells me I am "electronically challenged". Sometimes I have to wait on him to come home to fix the TV. I intend to have my unit ready (with his help) so you can show me how you use one. I intend to be shooting the bull and fishing more than anything else on this trip. You scared me off when you mentioned a lap top. But, if it requires a computer to operate a GPS, then I guess I need to know that too.

DP

Hey DP:

You don't NEED a computer to operate a GPS but it's useful for updating the software on your GPS, uploading waypoints to your GPS, for sorting and editing and keeping a backup in case something happens to your GPS - say for example you accidentally delete all your waypoints!

It's not all that complicated, you just have to play with it and see what happens when you push which buttons!

fatboy
09-10-2006, 09:04 PM
I hope all of you have a great time at the crappie camp and wished I could be there again. I am gonna step aside on this one, but I WILL be at the Spring Crappie Camp. I can't expect my wife to spend spring and fall break from school traveling long distances for me to fish. The spring is mine and the fall is hers. Everyone please have a great time and catch lots of fish. Take care. FATBOY

gooch
09-11-2006, 10:28 AM
I hope all of you have a great time at the crappie camp and wished I could be there again. I am gonna step aside on this one, but I WILL be at the Spring Crappie Camp. I can't expect my wife to spend spring and fall break from school traveling long distances for me to fish. The spring is mine and the fall is hers. Everyone please have a great time and catch lots of fish. Take care. FATBOY
Fatboy I want you to know I will go and get eat a second plate of crappie at the crappie camp fish fry in your honor since you wont be there. Crappie camp wont be the same without Kims homade candy. I just hope I get there in time for the Molasses cookies I heard so much about this time arround.

Take care

Gooch.

Jerry Blake
09-18-2006, 04:51 PM
Just a little over 5-weeks until Fall Crappie Camp!!! Darryl, Jim and I have been building and sinking bambo crappie condos for the last couple weeks so there will be plenty of good beds for everyone to fish.

We've built 24 of the stand-up bucket type and a couple of the shorter, wider block type and we're going to do several more of the short ones.

When we finished sinking condos today we did a little scouting and found decent crappie willing take take a jig - at least mine anyway :) - from about 4-feet deep to about 12-feet deep in water from 7 to 15-feet deep.

Some were on condos we just dropped in the last week. We marked a lot of fish on several condos but most of the bites were light.

The surface temps are still in the upper 70s so when they start to fall again the crappie will get a lot more aggressive.

Hope to see y'all at Fall Crappie Camp!

paddlebug235
09-18-2006, 08:15 PM
Yea! Five weeks. we are both getting excited. I have been mapping different routes and the quickest seems to be east from Oklahoma City even though some are shorter.

I do have a couple more questions.
1. will Easy GPS work on our Garmin Etex Ledgend? I know there are better units out there but that was what I bought two years ago.

2. What is gasoline selling for in Arkansas right now?

3. What can we bring to make the get together tastey?

Jerry Blake
09-18-2006, 08:36 PM
Yea! Five weeks. we are both getting excited. I have been mapping different routes and the quickest seems to be east from Oklahoma City even though some are shorter.

I do have a couple more questions.
1. will Easy GPS work on our Garmin Etex Ledgend? I know there are better units out there but that was what I bought two years ago.

2. What is gasoline selling for in Arkansas right now?

3. What can we bring to make the get together tastey?

Hey Paddlebug:

Yes, Easy GPS is perfect for the Etrex Legend. I used a Legend for a while and it will do everything you need it to do.

I saw regular today for $2.25 - wish the blasted diesel would come down - it's still $2.75.

Bring whatever you like to eat with fish! We're planning on eating crappie, and crappie and maybe some more crappie. Since I've had time to do some scouting lately between building and sinking condos I've been eating crappie every day and haven't got one bit tired of it yet - baked crappie, fried crappie, crappie dip - I can't decide what to do with the fish I brought home today - thinking crappie dip though. Had another fish sandwich for dinner this evening from left over crappie I fried Friday evening.

I'm looking forward to seeing you again.

Jerry Blake
09-24-2006, 06:29 PM
The crappie are starting to stack up on the condos we've been putting in Lake Greeson for Fall Crappie Camp. They were mostly on the small side but the ones we kept probably averaged about 11-inches. A few were in the mood to thump a jig pretty well but most were caught on small Rosey Reds 10 to 12-feet below a slip-float. The gooduns should be moving in soon.

http://www.actionfishingtrips.com/9-24-06.JPG

The White Bass hit a jig on my 11-foot jig pole and gave me quite a tussle. He was just the right size for a batch of Bacon Wrapped Fish - (http://www.actionfishingtrips.com/recipes.htm), which I just took out of the oven - MMMMMMMMM GOOD!

According to The Southwestern Electric Power Company's website they don't plan on doing any generating for at least the next two weeks so the lake should come back up a bit with all the rain we've had, which would be good - it's about as low as it needs to get.

It was a beautiful day to be on the water!

Darryl Morris
09-29-2006, 07:20 AM
For those that are coming to the Fall Crappie Camp, please don't forget your digital camera. The one thing I really want from the Fall Crappie Camp is more pictures. I was able to take a few in the spring and made a webpage out of them for others on crappie.com that weren't able to attend.

This time, let's get more digital pics of the fish caught and of folks out on the water in their boats. Then I can make another page that should be much more interesting.

Anyone interested in getting some OJT with crappie condos, just let me know. We usually do some fishing when we're done too. Buckets and Boo welcome, lol.

paddlebug235
10-01-2006, 07:02 PM
Talk about technologically challenged! I down loaded Easy GPS the tried to hook up my etrex legend and figured out it has a serial port hook up and my puter does not. So it was off to staples and a USB to serial adapter which I ran the installation disc for and show it is loaded. But then I get a box that says serial port could not be opened. Any advice would sure be great!!! :confused:

Darryl Morris
10-01-2006, 07:39 PM
Talk about technologically challenged! I down loaded Easy GPS the tried to hook up my etrex legend and figured out it has a serial port hook up and my puter does not. So it was off to staples and a USB to serial adapter which I ran the installation disc for and show it is loaded. But then I get a box that says serial port could not be opened. Any advice would sure be great!!! :confused:

Assuming the "serial port could not be opened" message came from EasyGPS, you might have to change the serial port selection in the EasyGPS program.
Try this: in EasyGPS,
click File >
Preference >
then under the My GPS Receivers tab select your GPS type >
then click settings >
change your Com port setting to its alternative >
OK.
Then go the drop down menu call GPS and test your serial connection.
Hope this works for you.

paddlebug235
10-02-2006, 09:14 PM
Thanks Darryl with one minor exception it went just like you said it would. Now I feel ready to receive way points for the fall camp.

Jerry Blake
10-03-2006, 07:07 PM
We're averaging around 30-keepers on a half trip on Greeson and the average size is improving. We missed about as many as we landed today but ended up with a good mess. As soon as the water temps start to fall again it is gonna be ON!

http://www.actionfishingtrips.com/10-3-06.JPG

Hope y'all are getting ready for Crappie Camp - the CRAPPIE are!

lkoz1
10-06-2006, 07:56 AM
Man this sounds like my kind of fun! I live at lkoz and have been catching crappie like crazy for the last few months. Got a freezer full between me and the Mrs. if anyone is intrested in frying a few one night I need to make room for more!

Jerry Blake
10-08-2006, 03:45 PM
The biguns are coming in!

http://www.actionfishingtrips.com/10-8-06.JPG

Our biggest was 16-inches and weighed right at 2-pounds on a digital scale. Also had one that was 15-inches and several 13 and 14-inch fish.

They're getting ready for Crappie Camp!

ceb
10-08-2006, 09:29 PM
Wow, Jerry! Is that picture from the part of the lake by y'alls camper? The lake must be really low...

Jerry Blake
10-09-2006, 05:17 AM
Wow, Jerry! Is that picture from the part of the lake by y'alls camper? The lake must be really low...

Yes, thats the back of the cove behind the marina that the camper is on. It's about normal for this time of year but it's about 8-feet lower than it was during Spring Crappie Camp. Some of the shallow condos we put in last spring are sticking out of the water now.

Darryl Morris
10-09-2006, 02:07 PM
The Fall Feeding Frenzy is on and Crappie Camp is only 16 days away.

http://www.familyfishingtrips.com/images/061009.jpg

gooch
10-09-2006, 03:03 PM
Those are some nice stringers of crappie guys. I cant wait to get down to crappie camp and try those Greeson crappie again. I think I am going to nightstalk at least one night while I am down there. If there are any other nightstalkers going let me know and we can tag team them. Also if there are any folks that want to try nightstalking I am sure we can make room. I am always looking to trade up for a better fishing partner anyway so I dont mind kicking one of the crew off for a night.

Also I wanted to let you guys know I will bring some more cornbread salad with me to complement the fish fry.

ceb
10-11-2006, 10:50 PM
Also if there are any folks that want to try nightstalking I am sure we can make room. I am always looking to trade up for a better fishing partner anyway so I dont mind kicking one of the crew off for a night.

I guess that means I'll be taking my boat, huh?:confused:

paddlebug235
10-14-2006, 08:45 AM
Darryl:

At one time you mentioned asking a local childrens home if they wanted to send some young people to fish with us. Did anything ever come of this? Connie and I are starting to pack the boat and will bring some extra PFDS if there will be kids needing a ride. We always have to much tackle anyway. Our boat is rather small but we could handle a kid or two.

Darryl Morris
10-14-2006, 07:58 PM
Darryl:

At one time you mentioned asking a local childrens home if they wanted to send some young people to fish with us. Did anything ever come of this? Connie and I are starting to pack the boat and will bring some extra PFDS if there will be kids needing a ride. We always have to much tackle anyway. Our boat is rather small but we could handle a kid or two.

Hey there paddlebug. Thank you for asking. That is something that I really wanted to do and I wholeheartedly believe would be worth doing. BUT...it's only worth doing right. In order to do it right we would need at least a dozen boats with anglers committing in advance to at least a certain day, etc. When I mentioned it on the forum that didn't happen so I didn't take it any further. There is an orphanage in Texarkana I know of that would be perfect for such an adventure. Maybe this is something we could do in the future once folks learn more about the crappie camps and start traditionally coming. Baby steps I guess.

paddlebug235
10-14-2006, 09:09 PM
You're right about doing it right and we just wanted to be prepared if it was going to happen. Unfortunatly for us this will probably be only a now and then event as we try to do a vacation every other year. Back when we were on the ranch we had two vacations spaced eighteen years apart.

Slipcork
10-15-2006, 07:19 PM
Hey guys. I new to CC. What do yall do about bait? Where can you get? Don't want to run out or anything. If you know what I mean.

Jerry Blake
10-15-2006, 07:33 PM
Hey guys. I new to CC. What do yall do about bait? Where can you get? Don't want to run out or anything. If you know what I mean.

Hopefully the marina at Kirby Landing will have Rosey Red minnows and they should have them at the Salem Quick Stop.

Jerry Blake
10-15-2006, 07:37 PM
I think the better crappie are starting to get more involved in the Fall Feeding Frenzy. We kept 50 Crappie today (and an assortment of other fish) and the average size was much improved. We had one Crappie that was 16-inches and another that was 16.5-inches - each just under 2-pounds.

http://www.actionfishingtrips.com/10-15-06.JPG

Looks like the timing for Fall Crappie Camp is going to be just about perfect.

Jerry Blake
10-19-2006, 04:57 PM
Today Darryl and I compiled a list of waypoints for crappie condos that we think should be productive during Fall Crappie Camp. The deeper ones are producing now and the shallower ones should be productive if the water cools down between now and Crappie Camp, which it should with the predicted forecast.

Most of these waypoints are on bamboo condos but some are wood and some are a combination of wood and bamboo. Most of them should show up well on your graph when you get over them and many of them have additional cover nearby so keep and eye on your graphs as you move around the area.

To get the waypoints, click on the link and then save the file to your desktop or other location of your choice. Then open the file with EasyGPS - available as a free download at www.EasyGPS.com - and then transfer the waypoints to your GPS using a data cable.

I also included a waypoint for the boat ramp at Kirby Landing. All the other waypoints in the file have FCC prefix (for Fall Crappie Camp) so they shouldn't conflict with any waypoint names already in your GPS.

Fall Crappie Camp Waypoints:

http://www.actionfishingtrips.com/FCCWPTS.loc

Here is a link for the waypoints we published for last Spring's Crappie Camp:

http://www.actionfishingtrips.com/ccwpts.loc

Some of the Spring Crappie Camp condos may be productive but many of them are too shallow and even sticking out of the water right now. But, if we get a lot of rain and the lake comes up then some of the deeper ones should be productive.

We looked at both sides of the campground today and it looks like the east campground will be the best to camp on for several reasons. There is an area on a protected cove where we can pull our boats up to the bank near our campsites. With the water down though it's going to take from 150 to 250 feet of extension cord to reach from the power boxes at the campsites to the boats to charge TM batteries so bring plenty of heavy extension cords.

The area has some sites with water hooks-ups but there is a central water spigot for the ones that don't. It's close to the bathroom and not far from the boat ramp. When you come into Kirby Landing Recreation Area take the left at the fork past the Pay Booth and we'll be on the right side of the road on the cove behind the marina. I'll have my Coleman Niagara pup-up camper and we'll have the Crappie Camp sign up that Big J made for us. We'll also have a dry erase board with information like sites that have room for another tent, schedule of mini-seminars etc.

The extended forecast is looking pretty good right now - http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreation/boatandbeach/tenday/71964.

Just about perfect camping weather!

Darryl Morris
10-19-2006, 05:54 PM
Man, crappie camp is going to be great. The weather looks like it's going to work out nicely for the fishing and perfectly for camping. I hope everyone is getting excited and geared up for it. I know I am. Everyone bring firewood and chairs. If you don't catch'em next week, you're not holding your mouth right (with the ends turned up is the right way!!!) :)

paddlebug235
10-20-2006, 06:35 PM
One more question from the technolgically challenged. I down loaded the waypoints and hooked my etrex up and hit send selected to GPS it sent kirby landing and FCC 1 but would not send the others. So I tried to send them one at a time and that didn't work either.

What do I need to do?

I am really looking forward to the GPS Session.

WE ARE BOTH GETTING EXCITED AND BY THIS TIME NEXT WEEK WILL BE IN HOT SPRINGS!!

Sorry for the shouting but not really:-)

Jerry Blake
10-20-2006, 06:49 PM
Hey John:

You should be able to open the file with EasyGPS and then without selecting or highlighting any of the waypoints click on "Send" (with the picture of the 'puter and GPS above it). You should get a window with boxes to check for "Waypoints" and "Routes". Be sure you have "Waypoints" checked and then hit "OK". Now you should have a window that shows how many waypoints you are sending and the progress. Be sure you have good batteries in your GPS and have a good connection where the date cable connects to the GPS. You should get a "Transfer Complete" message on the screen on your GPS when it's done.

Darryl Morris
10-20-2006, 07:02 PM
Yeah, what Jerry said. Start EasyGPS > Open the file of FCC waypoints > click the GPS drop down menu > click Send to Waypoints to GPS > transfer box > transfer complete. If you have to select the waypoints, select one and then do a CTRL-A and that should select them all, then send them. Other than that, you got me. I don't know how your gps handles being full if that's the issue. The other thing you can do is print the file and enter the coordinates manually.

bobberwatcher
10-20-2006, 08:40 PM
I think one of the small discussions at CC should be "GPSing for the technology challenged". If I do indeed get to show up, I will be more than happy to help with any questions on the laptop/PC side. I've been doing IT work for about 7 yrs now. If I can get JohnR there, he has been doing IT for 20 yrs or so. (He's pretty old) :D :D :D

paddlebug235
10-20-2006, 08:52 PM
Alright, maybe I'm the only one who had this problem but I just got it figured out. The lable column was blank. When I highlighted a waypoint clicked edit on the tool bar then clicked edit in the dropdown box it brought up a pop up box and I just typed in the waypoint listed and went on to the next. Then I just transfered them all to the GPS.

Darryl Morris
10-23-2006, 04:17 AM
Fall Crappie Camp starts this Thursday, October 26, and will run thru Tuesday, October 31. Ya'll know that, but what you might not know is I'M READY!!!!

Today I start setting things up by pulling the camper to Kirby Landing, buying supplies, making arrangements to ensure enough bait is in the local stores, setting up camp before Thursday (probably), etc. Come one, come all. Come for the whole week or just a day or two. Or, just come one evening and sit by the fire for a while. There will be a dry erase board at my campsite announcing things all week. You will want to check it at least 2-3 times a day for mini-seminar times, open seat time in folk's boats, fish fry arrangements, etc.

It's going to be a great time and I look forward to meeting you all.

Slipcork
10-23-2006, 11:57 AM
What is the plan for Sat and Sun at CC? I read something about a meal at some point and time. I'm tryin to make bait plans and find a place to stay. The wife won't sleep in the truck! May try to stay in Glenwood in I can find a place. Was thinkin about a cabin or hotel.

Darryl Morris
10-23-2006, 06:16 PM
I am sure we will be having more than one potluck-style meal together during those days, but it does seem that most will be there and available on Saturday night (my best guess thus far from those who have committed and have already shown up). No definite plans laid in stone yet for the eating, but remember this is mostly informal with friends and Saturday night does sound like the most logical time to me. It does get dark earlier now but we do have electricity, lol, and we won't have to worry about super early darkness until after Sunday anyway.

Jerry Blake
10-23-2006, 06:39 PM
We'll probably get together both Saturday and Sunday evenings about sundown to fry up a mess of crappie and eat together. I'll have a gas fish fryer set up by my camper as well as a toaster-oven/microwave that everyone is welcome to use anytime.

DRPEPPER
10-24-2006, 07:06 AM
I can't tell if we are more concerned with eating or catching fish by reading this thread.
DP

Darryl Morris
10-24-2006, 07:15 AM
I can't tell if we are more concerned with eating or catching fish by reading this thread.
DP

Naw, just a very optimistic attitude. We know we gotta catch'em first, LOL.

Jerry Blake
10-24-2006, 07:13 PM
When I'm catching them I like the catching better than the eating but when I'm eating them I like the eating better than the catching! :)

I feel very confident that we will be able to catch all the fish we can eat and a lot more to take home. I'll have some freezer space available if anyone wants to freeze their fish for the ride home.

Slipcork
10-24-2006, 10:07 PM
Hey I'm like Jerry. When it is time to fish, let's fish! When it's time to eat, let's eat! You know, that is sometime what bring us together. But I love to visit with people and will not eat sometimes just so I can talk.

Oh well, could do with not eatin a meal or two.

Slipcork
10-25-2006, 07:18 AM
What is this week weather going to do to the fishing this weekend? I don't know much on how the weather affects the fishing. I just go when I can.

Jerry Blake
10-25-2006, 07:43 AM
It shouldn't affect them too much now that they are getting serious about the Fall Feeding Frenzy. I don't think we'll get enough rain to raise the lake level significantly and as long as the water doesn't warm back up they should keep trying to fatten up for winter. They were scattered yesterday and would take minnow between 8 and 10 feet or 18 and 20 feet but even though we were marking a lot of fish in between those ranges they wouldn't bite for us. The average size has improved a lot in the last week or so and they are thick!

It looks like this round of showers will be gone at least by noon Thursday. Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday are supposed to be really nice and then a 30% chance of thundershowers coming in Tuesday afternoon - http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreation/boatandbeach/tenday/71964.

fatboy
10-26-2006, 03:23 PM
All of you have a good time at Crappie Camp. The weather forecast isn't looking very rosey at all here. They are calling for high winds and major rain tomorrow and rain the rest of the weekend, but I will still be out there fishing at Watts Bar trying to catch a few. Ya'll be careful. I am sure Jerry and Darryl both will treat everyone super nice and answer any questions that they have like they have always done for me. See you in the spring. FATBOY

gooch
10-26-2006, 03:32 PM
All of you have a good time at Crappie Camp. The weather forecast isn't looking very rosey at all here. They are calling for high winds and major rain tomorrow and rain the rest of the weekend, but I will still be out there fishing at Watts Bar trying to catch a few. Ya'll be careful. I am sure Jerry and Darryl both will treat everyone super nice and answer any questions that they have like they have always done for me. See you in the spring. FATBOY
Fatboy I sure wish you and Mrs. Kim could join us for the fall crappie camp but I sure understand not being able to spend two weeks a year crappie fishing on an out of state trip. I want to personaly assure you that I will eat a second plate of crappie filets in your honor since you cant attend.

Take care and look forward to seeing you in the spring.

Gooch

fatboy
10-26-2006, 03:38 PM
Hey thanks Gooch. I knew I could depend on you. Hey, enjoy yourself and I will see you in the spring. FATBOY

Jerry Blake
10-26-2006, 04:49 PM
It was a little misty and foggy today but we got camp set up and Darryl, Cool Larry and I went out for a few hours and got a pretty good start on a supply for our fish fry.

http://www.actionfishingtrips.com/10-26-06.JPG

They are still scattered from 8 to 21-feet but I got 6 or 7 pop a jig fairly well and I think once this weather settles out (hopefully by Saturday) they'll be ready for a boat ride.

Ohio Angler
10-28-2006, 05:27 AM
I hope you guys have as good a time at the fall camp as I did at the spring one.I wish I could be there.I hope the weather cooperates and the fish do,too.If there are fish to be caught you can rest assured Jerry and Darryl will do there best to put you on them.Man, I'm envious!

Billbob
10-29-2006, 07:10 PM
how long is camp??? got to stay close for a couple weeks then off again!!!!

Jerry Blake
10-29-2006, 09:33 PM
Reports on Crappie Camp are coming in - http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showthread.php?t=27273

Here are a few pictures I took:

http://www.actionfishingtrips.com/darryl'screw.JPG

Darryl's Crew

http://www.actionfishingtrips.com/John'sbigun.JPG
Paddlebug's Big Crappie 15.5-inches/1-pound, 15-ounces

http://www.actionfishingtrips.com/titlemanandjiggin.JPG
Titleman and Jiggen in the Fog

http://www.actionfishingtrips.com/fallongreeson.JPG

Fall Colors

http://www.actionfishingtrips.com/slipcorkandwife.JPG
Slipcork, Wendy and Remington

More to come!

Darryl Morris
10-29-2006, 11:08 PM
Here's a link to a page on my website with Fall Crappie Camp pics. -- http://www.familyfishingtrips.com/CrappieCampFall2006.htm

Darryl Morris
10-30-2006, 09:18 PM
Just one last note about Fall Crappie Camp. I definitely feel blessed and fortunate to be associated with such a fine group of folks. I sincerely hope everyone had a great time, cuz I know I did. Thanks to all that were able to attend, you are the core of its success!!!

Make your plans now, Spring Crappie Camp 2007 (as planned now) will be April 14-18, 2007, Kirby Landing, Lake Greeson, AR.

paddlebug235
11-01-2006, 07:16 PM
Connie and I would like to thank Both Jerry and Darryl for hosting Crappie Camp. It gave us a chance to meet, fish and eat with some of the world's great people.

We now can put faces to familiar posters like Lucky Larry, Dr. Pepper and L. A. Stump Jumper. Slip Cork sure gald to meet you and Wendy too.

Wish we could come next spring but doubt that.

If ya'll can don't miss the chance!!

ceb
11-01-2006, 07:44 PM
Hey Paddlebug,

It sure was nice to meet y'all. Thanks a bunch for the invite into your boat. From the looks of the pics, I'm a dumb for not taking you up on it. Was it your fishing partner that put all of those fish in the boat?

L.A. stumpjumper
11-01-2006, 08:09 PM
Paddlebug and Mrs. Paddlebug, it was really great to meet y'all at Crappie Camp. Thanks for helping me with the tent. Those bownies were awesome. I will e-mail you the pics I took of your catch. Hope to see you at future Crappie camps.

DRPEPPER
11-02-2006, 08:12 AM
Connie and I would like to thank Both Jerry and Darryl for hosting Crappie Camp. It gave us a chance to meet, fish and eat with some of the world's great people.

We now can put faces to familiar posters like Lucky Larry, Dr. Pepper and L. A. Stump Jumper. Slip Cork sure gald to meet you and Wendy too.

If you don't make it to the spring camp, I can give you my shipping address so you can still supply the brownies.
DP

paddlebug235
11-03-2006, 11:44 AM
My appologies to COOL Larry for calling him "Lucky Larry" but I guess if you're good and COOL you will be lucky:-)

Jerry Blake
11-03-2006, 06:54 PM

Hey John:

It was good to see you and Connie again and I enjoyed fishing with y'all. Thanks for putting up with Owen and giving him the lures. He's bugging me to take him fishing again this weekend.

Slipcork
11-03-2006, 10:14 PM
Paddlebug, If I get to come back to KS next year and hunt with Don I would like to look yall up and maybe go out on that be lake and check it out.

When we hunt we are done by noon and need something to do in the afternoon. Like go fish on that big (maybe dry) lake.

paddlebug235
11-04-2006, 08:00 AM
Jerry:

We enjoyed having Owen with us. He is a very well behaved young man but like most all kids he's full of enthusiasim. We look forward to coming back and fishing with the two of you again. Keep him huntin and fishin and exposed to guys like Darryl and he won't have tme for drugs and trouble.

Hey John:

It was good to see you and Connie again and I enjoyed fishing with y'all. Thanks for putting up with Owen and giving him the lures. He's bugging me to take him fishing again this weekend.

paddlebug235
11-04-2006, 08:25 AM
Slipcork:

We would love to take you out on Wilson. By pheasant season we are generally chasing walleyes and white bass. We would love to take you out for an afternoon then introduce you to the BEST STEAK in the nation at Meridy's Restraunt here in Russell.

Paddlebug, If I get to come back to KS next year and hunt with Don I would like to look yall up and maybe go out on that be lake and check it out.

When we hunt we are done by noon and need something to do in the afternoon. Like go fish on that big (maybe dry) lake.

Jerry Blake
11-08-2006, 10:14 PM
I stopped by Carlos' store today and got the recipe for the hushpuppies everyone went nuts over at Crappie Camp.

Hush Puppies

1 1/2-cup Self Rising Flour

1 1/2-cup Self Rising White Cornmeal mix

1/2 cup sugar

2 eggs

1 can Cream Corn NOTE: MAKE SURE YOUR CREAM CORN IS "CREAMED" REAL WELL BECAUSE ANY WHOLE CORN KERNELS MAY POP AND SPLATTER HOT GREASE ON YOU!!!!

1 Onion - chopped

2 tablespoons Oil

Mix together and add milk until the batter is about the consistency of pancake batter.

Drop by heaping teaspoons into 365-degree oil and fry until dark brown on both sides.

Optional Variations:

Add chopped jalapeņos and/or chopped bell peppers and/or minced garlic

grubby
11-08-2006, 10:35 PM
Jerry
thanks a bunch gonna have to try that this weekend. they were mighty good at CC.

Jerry Blake
11-09-2006, 05:53 AM
Jerry
thanks a bunch gonna have to try that this weekend. they were mighty good at CC.

Hey David:

Let me know how they turn out. I've been using a recipe that is very similar. Mine has all self rising white cornmeal mix instead of half self rising flour, doesn't have sugar and uses beer instead of milk but is the same otherwise. If I can make Carlos' as good as the ones we had at CC I'm gonna switch!

One thing not mentioned in the recipe - guess I'll go back and add it - MAKE SURE YOUR CREAM CORN IS "CREAMED" REAL WELL BECAUSE ANY WHOLE CORN KERNELS CAN POP AND SPLATTER HOT GREASE ON YOU!!!!