Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: What you get with a E5DSI ...

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up What you get with a E5DSI ...

... when you're not moving, but sitting right over a brush pile :

Name:  DSCF0288.jpg
Views: 932
Size:  37.0 KB

then you see this :

Name:  DSCF0290.jpg
Views: 1675
Size:  43.8 KB

then your partner goes on point :

and while you're taking his picture, YOUR rod tip takes a dive towards the water & you have to lay the camera down & set the hook ... and this is the result :

and another one joins his friends & family in the livewell :

.... cp

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like a horrible way to spend the day, NOT. Congrats on the catch. I had read that DI didn't work too good being stationary, guess that's the proof.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jimp View Post
    sounds like a horrible way to spend the day, NOT. Congrats on the catch. I had read that DI didn't work too good being stationary, I guess that's the proof.
    Although the structure image in a "stationary" DI unit is not painting a perfect brush looking image on the screen...it is still showing the structure...

The "thin slice" DI beam is pinging the same slice of water over and over and shows as constant echoes stretched across the screen...

So ...as long as the structure is showing on the screen ..one can be assured that the structure is still under the Xducer or slightly out to the sides in the DI beam...

Pretty looking structure pix are cool to post into forums... But echos from the structure (even stationary ).. Can be interpreted to know the boat is over the target zone (structure...especially brush)....

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rnvinc View Post
    Although the structure image in a "stationary" DI unit is not painting a perfect brush looking image on the screen...it is still showing the structure...

The "thin slice" DI beam is pinging the same slice of water over and over and shows as constant echoes stretched across the screen...

So ...as long as the structure is showing on the screen ..one can be assured that the structure is still under the Xducer or slightly out to the sides in the DI beam...

Pretty looking structure pix are cool to post into forums... But echos from the structure (even stationary ).. Can be interpreted to know the boat is over the target zone (structure...especially brush)....

Rickie
    well, it may be working as its supposed to, but its still not working very well (just my opinion).
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree jim...it is definitely more challenging to interpret DI (or SI) when the xducer is stationary...

One thing I've heard some vertical jiggers do is to pass over the brush in forward movement to allow the DI ping slices to form the full screen image...(giving the fisherman the mental picture of what is actually down there)..

Then position back over the top of the brush to vertical fish the structure while the DI shows the "stretched like" images similar to what pappy posted....

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Guys .... here's a pic of the E5DSI showing "fish" :

I didn't post it with the others, because it's blurry image makes it tough to really see what I was seeing at the time. Sorry about the blurry image ... my hand was cold, the camera was cold, and if I remember correctly ... I had some minners down that were getting some "attention" from these very fish and may have rushed the shot.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jimp View Post
    well, it may be working as its supposed to, but its still not working very well (just my opinion).
    And you are certainly entitled to your opinion !

But ... IMHO
    All units do much the same thing, when stationary. Same principal applies.

The unit is a DSI ... it's NOT a HDS, nor is it a SI unit. Those units cost 3-4 times what this unit does, so on a dollar per feature basis ... you pay for those pretty images (but they're still going to be less effective when your boat is stationary).

And just to clarify .... I wasn't exactly "stationary" (as in motionless, or anchored, or tied off to a stump/etc) ... I was drifting, but slow enough that the GPS did not register a mph reading. I don't remember the exact lowest mph speed that the unit registered, but I do think I remember it reading less than 0.5mph on several occasions.

I'm no expert on the unit ... I'm just showing what few images I managed to take pics of, while actively fishing. I'm not promoting the unit as the best thing since sliced bread, just showing what I'm seeing & the results I'm having while using it. I'm still in the learning stages, and hope to get better images on camera as I figure out how to use the unit to its maximum capabilities. I don't even know what those are, yet (for all I know, I may have the settings on this thing dumbed down and not set to give me the full image capabilities the unit can produce)

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Crappiepappy is correct, these units are not HDS. The DI technology is different as is the GPS technology. I have HDS units and they don't give good DI/SI images while still, but I don't expect them to. They weren't designed to for that, AFAIK no one makes any DF that will work well while sitting still. Maybe a flasher .

Post Thanks / Like

CP, I agree with you. $ for $, I really like what the DSI does for me. I really like being able to see what is below and not having to guess about what it is. I'm a happy camper.

Post Thanks / Like

That corduroy? look in the first picture? I get that on my HB with DI and just wondered what causes it. Thanks.

Proud Member Of Team Geezer
    Member: Michigan Chapter of Team Overalls