Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: baitcaster reel

Post Thanks / Like

Default baitcaster reel

I am new to this site but I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good baitcaster for Crappie. The two I have for Bass fishing are two heavy and I was looking for something that could handle the smaller baits for what I need. Thank you.
    Hope your lines stay wet and your livewells full.:D

Post Thanks / Like

Depending on your style of fishing and what type of fishing your interested in. Most baitcaster reels are to big for the style of fishing for crappie. Most fishing is done with an open face spinning reels, because of the light line needed for casting the small jigs and lures. Some guys use bait casters for trolling cranks, but most Crappie fishermen use open face spinning reels, with lighter line.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

I was mostly going to be doing cast and retrieve small jigs and such wasn't sure what would be better for it, thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

My two cents - I would pay more attention to the rod that you buy, most decent spinning reels can do the job just fine. Since you are a bass fisherman you should know how to flip. Man can you do that with a spinning reel! A baitcaster would have to handle 4 lbs line smoothly, which I don't think it can. Heck I bet you could spool up 300-400 yards on the reel. Haha. Just imagin the backlash with 350 yards of line.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a hard enough time with the little bit my 17 lbs line has on my reel I couldn't imagine trying to pick more than that out. lol

Post Thanks / Like

BPS has some of those Wally Marshall bait casters. Light weight and work just like your bass reels. I think that they run around $30 if I'm not mistaken. Plus they work great for 8-10 # line.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eastkycrappie
    I was mostly going to be doing cast and retrieve small jigs and such wasn't sure what would be better for it, thanks.
    For casting, save yourself alot of headaches and get a good spinning or spincast reel...izzy

Post Thanks / Like

After what I have read and what you all have told me I will probaly go with an UL spinning reel. I grew up fishing for Crappie on Cave Run in Ky but got into high school and most of my crappie gear got given to other members of the family. Just started to remember how much fun it is now that I have kids of my own out there with me. Thanks for your help.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Eky ....

Quote Originally Posted by eastkycrappie
    After what I have read and what you all have told me I will probaly go with an UL spinning reel. I grew up fishing for Crappie on Cave Run in Ky but got into high school and most of my crappie gear got given to other members of the family. Just started to remember how much fun it is now that I have kids of my own out there with me. Thanks for your help.
    you don't necessarily have to go down to a UL, either. I've got Zebco, Shimano, & Shakespeare UL spinning reels, that I use on some of my 5,6, & 7ft spinning rods. But, I've also got some 6, 7 & 8ft spinning rods with reels like - Mitchell 308X, Shimano Spirex 2000's, and Mitchell Spidercast. (and they hardly qualify as UL's) :D
    I generally use 4lb, 6lb, & 8lb test mono on these reels ... and one SS2000 with 10/2 PowerPro braid.
    I've even successfully cast/fished with a Spirex 2000 on a 7ft Med action IM8 Bionic Blade rod .... 6lb line - throwing a 1/16oz tube jig. Won a tourney with that outfit ... and chose a 7ft Sam Heaton IM6 spinning rod as my "first place prize". It now has the Spidercast reel on it, and is my favorite jig casting rod.

Any "bass" spinning outfit, with a med action or lighter, would work fine for jig casting for Crappie .... just lighten up on the pound test of your line (8# or less). And, if your reels should have that "extra" spool ... you could use them interchangably between the two species. And, if you should already happen to have some 8, 9, or 10ft FnF rods ... they work double duty, as well.

I don't think ANY baitcaster reel is going to perform well, at all, when trying to cast a 1/16oz jig (or less) .... they're just not designed for such light weights. Even the "micro" sized ones are more for tightline or vertical use, not for "casting". You'd do well to stick with good quality spinning tackle. ...... luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I agree ... baitcaster with light line = VERY angry fisherman! Anything lighter than 10# on a baitcaster is tough.

I have a nice Shimano Stradic 1000 with 6# Stren MagnaFlex, on a 5-1/2 ft medium light rod, that really does the trick for me when lure fishing for crappie, bluegills, etc. The nice thing is that it can handle the big ones that jump on rather frequently.

Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast