Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: How far to crappie travel

Post Thanks / Like

Default How far to crappie travel

I have read lots about crappie habits, colors they might like, depth, speed of fishing, and how water color and weather figure into the mix. What I don't see, and haven't heard, is the distance they'll travel. While I understand that they can't go as far in a farm pond or small lake, but on a lake the size of say Mark Twain (close to me), has a study been done on how far fish will go. Are there any theories about what they're looking for? If they're willing to travel quite a ways in search of what they're looking for, will they go back, or stay where they are. I ask because we don't seem to be catching the numbers this year that we did last year, but the MDC Website indicated that numbers on Mark Twain weren't going to be a problem, but size might this year. We've really seen that numbers were a problem, and size hasn't

Post Thanks / Like

"How far to crappie travel"

Depends on how many Frequent Swimmer miles they build up. ,,,,ok, i know, not funny. There was a topic on this recently you might look at. http://www.crappie.com/crappie/ask-b...-movement.html

Post Thanks / Like

Our fishing prospects are largely based on population surveys. Our crappie survey in fall 2011 indicated that the number of catchable size crappie was about average for Mark Twain, but 60% higher than in fall 2010. However, only 18% were over 9 inches long. We have had years with a lot more fish...if that is your basis for comparison. Overall, numbers are about where I like to see them now, just not as many over 9 inches as I'd like to see.

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the answer Ross. Welcome to the board!!

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

X2

Post Thanks / Like

I really like and appreciate these two new threads on our board.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bwillaub View Post
    I really like and appreciate these two new threads on our board.
    Me too!