Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Help identifying a vintage surf rod?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help identifying a vintage surf rod?

I know this isnt a crappie rod, but thought some of the "more experienced" folks may be able to id this rod or "g" logo. Its a 10 foot spinning rod I got when my grandfather died. I would like to find a reel to fit and the info sticker has wore off. Its 2 piece and the reel seat is 1 to 1 1/4 inch diam. I think it may be a Garcia? Thanks Name:  2012-25-12 surf rod 003.JPG
Views: 1330
Size:  93.2 KBName:  2012-25-12 surf rod 006.JPG
Views: 1949
Size:  133.7 KBName:  2012-25-12 surf rod 007.JPG
Views: 3899
Size:  124.2 KBName:  2012-25-12 surf rod 008.JPG
Views: 1495
Size:  99.1 KBName:  2012-25-12 surf rod 010.JPG
Views: 1304
Size:  117.4 KB

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I guarantee it's a Garcia. Probably from the 60's or 70's. The windings are in great shape, as is the ferrule. Take some 0000 steel wool to the inside of the guides if you plan on using it. The oxidation that gathers on those type of guides over time will weaken or break the line. Knock off the fuzz and it looks to be ready to fish. Good rod. Rub the male side or the ferrule alongside your nose and the oils there are all that is needed to keep it working fine.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

very nice old Garcia rod

skeet, my grandpa taught me that nose trick when i was 6 yrs old, my fishin buddies say I'm crazy when I do that lol

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Got one in the attic almost identical to it. 74 model with Mitchel 308 reel on it.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

I got the rod with a Penn Jigmaster reel on it. I didnt like the combo so I put the Penn on a new rod. I had a large Mitchel reel in a box of fishing stuff that came from grandpa but it was missing some pieces. I traded it for a crappie rod/reel combo. Wish I still had the old Mitchel, could have repaired it and had a nice vintage combo. May have to get a new cheaper combo for my up coming trip and find an old reel to put on this rod. Thanks for the help guys!

Post Thanks / Like

That'sa nice Garcia. It would look nice with a Penn Spinfisher 704 or 706 greenie on it.