Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: where's the bite?

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up where's the bite?

where, how deep, what color, time of day, size of bait, kind of bait.

i need to know all these things:D i feel the need to catch a few keepers.
    could somebody give some information to meeeeeeeee?

thank ya all

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Post Thanks / Like

10-16 feet down using a jig and minnow. mark twain or truman are the better places to go right now. look for stained water, and fish structure along channels or treelines along old roadbeds in 15-30 feet of water. tightlining and watch your line as it falls into the kill zone. good luck! toughest time of year to fish from post spawn era to summer pattern, the in between. bruce

Post Thanks / Like

My neighbor and i fished loz a couple of times last week and caught limits both times nothing big but some decent keepers,we fished the main lake with 1/16 oz black and chart jigs early morning was best most fish were 12'-20' deep around docks and brushpiles.GOOD LUCK.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Fished the Upper Osage this weekend along the bluffs where the channel is nearby..lots of barely sub-legal fish that will be ready this fall...15-20 feet of water 10-20 feet down they were smaking the jig/minnow on almost every fall some even in 8 feet of water..did end up with 16 keepers..my girlfriend ended up with a 1.5 lb beaut they were nice keepers...the shad must have had a huge spawn there must have been billions of small fry shad schools and the crappies bellies were full of shad...its gonna be a great summer for crappie I think...I used a pink and white beaver tail yum..the crappie loved it tipped with a minnow.Heres a question, has anyone ever tried to capture those little shad 1.5 inches or so is how big they were I bet they would be great crappie bait if you could keep them alive?

Post Thanks / Like

Heb i tried to keep those little boogers alive and could'nt do it. I fished Clear creek this weekend and had limit by noon of good keepers.10-15 foot deep in 18-25 foot of water.Minnows or jigs.Even cuaght a couple of good 13 inchers on a crank bait.:D

Post Thanks / Like

Bruce, bugman, and HEB got ya covered. I'm gonna need a road map to find my way to the lake, it's been so long since i've wet a line. HEB, don't put them in your livewell, they tend to find their way into the drain pipe somehow. There's nothing like running a straightened coat hanger up the transom hole, pulling out shad goo in the middle of the summer. Double yuc. I was never able to keep them alive either and the ones that did, croaked when ya put a hook in them...izzy

Post Thanks / Like

freeze several soda bottles of water, then add one to live well or minnow bucket periodically, I keep mine alive usually 5-6 hours, then i am ready for a good meal anyway. Good fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Shad don't stay alive very long on the hook either. But if you have a bunch of dead ones. Slit 'em in half and string 'em 3" up a line with a circle hook and go catfishing.
    Standing in the Gap

Post Thanks / Like

As far as keepin them shad alive there are 2 things I found to be a certain. Got to keep the water cool and circulating at a high rate, and do not try to use a live well with a corner in it. Have to have rounded sided. We used a cut in half 35 gal., white, food grade barrel. Added ice to it and used this tablet that turned the water blue......it added oxy to the water...just can't remember the name of the stuff right now, but we found out early on that a shad will swim into a corner and die for not getting enough flow through the gills. Ah, the striper fishing on Texoma and Buchannan.....good memories. Just hated getting up long before sunup and slinging a cast net for the shad around the lighted piers.
    A gun in hand is a lot better than a cop on the phone.