Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fall River Fishing From Shore

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fall River Fishing From Shore

Hey guys and gals I was wondering what tips/ tactics you use/have for going after fall river crappie from shore?

Personally I have had luck with a floating jig head and minnow hooked through the tail.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Cody ... while I don't fish rivers, or from shore (nowadays) ... casting a jig upcurrent of a bridge piling, either alone or under a float ... or fishing the eddy water spots ... would be some tactics I'd use, if faced with that situation.

And, I must commend you on your floating jighead/tail hooked minnow tactic That's using the old noggin !! I've been known to use a similar rigging ... slip sinker/floating jighead ... when fishing from shore on some small lakes.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

to CDC from Ne. codybrown. Glad to have you on board. You can also use a slip float with that jig and tail hook minnow. I put a splitshot weight about a foot above the minnow and jig so it can't roam to free without me knowing what is going on. A lot of times the Crappie will come up with the minnow so you can't detect the bite. That is why I use a small weight so they have to move the float even if they come up with the bait. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

I fish from the bank on the river here in Iowa one of my favorite is double rigged with sexeee tail shad under a float. Just started really targeting crappie and been having a lot of success. I fish a lot of rock structure during the evening and at night. Tonight I pulled in around 30 various sizes. Here was my biggest from tonight. But im still learning and also looking for tips to find bigger slabs.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Alabama. Pappy gave you some pretty good advice. When shore fishing I will use a lot of slip float rigs. There are some other great examples in this thread on what others are using. Click here. http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-...beginners.html
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Some times when I am fishing a floating jighead style of rig in a really snaggy area I will take a hook and stick the hook in the middle of an earplug and run it to the eye of the hook and hook on the minner and it will float just like store bought floating jig heads. I do this sometimes in the ohio river where I sauger fish and saves me money by doing that. The earplugs are free also from work instead of throwing them away at the end of the day I save them for fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

EZGO, now THAT i s innovative thinking!! Congratulations on recycling the old ear plugs....

Post Thanks / Like

I like the earplug idea. GREAT.