Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fish stored at home

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fish stored at home

Question:

So I fish like mad during certain months of the year. Never keep over my daily limit. Clean my fish at the lake, go home, label the bags so I consume on a FIFO bases.

Is there anything illegal with having a dozen or more bags of Crappie on hand at home.

Likewise, is there anything wrong with having venison on hand even though I never buy a license? I have a buddy kill me one every year, I pay processing and eat well all year.
    The best way to get to where you want to be in the future is to act like you are there TODAY.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty sure you are only allowed to have the "possession" limit at home for fish. The deer legally has to have the name of the hunter on it, but he can give it to anyone he wants

So I'm guessing that you only have two or three filets in each bag. That would make you legal

Post Thanks / Like

When we pick up the deer it has his paperwork and tag attached to it and it goes in the freezer with the meat.
    The best way to get to where you want to be in the future is to act like you are there TODAY.

Post Thanks / Like

I found out that the possession limit for fish in Mo is twice the "statewide" daily limit. I think the statewide daily limit for crappie is 30, so the possession limit would be 60. What is vague is whether that limit extends to your freezer. The wording says "while on the waters or banks of waters". I can supply a link if you want.

Post Thanks / Like

The important words are "possession limit "! That is the total amount of fish in your possession. If you have more than 60 crappie in your freezer and only one permit in the house you'd be over the limit.

Post Thanks / Like

So far, all responses are non-conservation agents. I have my "opinion" but the law is the law. And like was pointed out, the verbiage referred to is not referring to what a person "stores" or "possesses" at HOME. All pretext indicates and makes reference to a person still in the act and at the location of "fishing".

Any agents in da house?

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

The possession limit is twice the statewide daily limit. Fish you take and possess must be kept separate or distinctly identifiable from fish taken by another person. If you are away from your catch, the device holding the fish must be plainly labeled with your full name and address.

Possession and Length Limits | Missouri Department of Conservation

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Twice your daily limit is it from the way it looks. So fish above the bridge on Deepwater creek and you can keep 30 a day. So then you can have 60 fish in the freezer. More if you have another permit holder in the house and keep them marked as to who's is who's.

Post Thanks / Like

I read and re-read that section of the reg, but I'm taking it to mean while in the act of fishing, at or near the body of water, or leaving the body of water. Think about it: If this reg holds the meaning as some have said, then once you have "stored" twice the daily limit for the state (60 crappie or 120 fillets) you are not allowed to keep crappie from any other body of water until you reduce your stored fish to below the possession limit.

Not saying our idiotic government is not beyond such over regulation, but I'd like to here it from the conservation agent. Might have to make a call or look up the long form of the regulation.

Remember: The regs most of us quote online, like your link, are from documents that are labeled "Not a legal document". In other words, it is a summary of the regs and not a complete and detailed resource.

Post Thanks / Like

What if your fish come from a private pond or lake that has no limit, then how many can you store?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast