Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Charger Boat Restoration by Jrsmith

Post Thanks / Like

Default Charger Boat Restoration by Jrsmith

After following along with Shipahoy 41's boat restoration I couldnt help but post my new boat project. Ive moved up from a 15ft DuraCraft aluminum fishing boat (which is for sale) with a 40 Yamaha into a 1988 Charger Bass Boat with a Mariner 90hp. Seeing how im a 3rd generation in the marine industry I love bringing back old boats. This boat just needs a little "TLC" and some new carpet. As you can see from the pics the poor thing has just sat out in the weather for many years unprotected. After a little cleaning and pampering I think she will be a fine crappie/bass rig. You can see by the last 2 pics what kind of results im expecting to see after only about 5 minutes of cleaning and buffing the gelcoat back out.
    Attached Images Attached Images         
    15' DuraCraft w/ 40 Yamaha
    BnM Rods
    Teacha Worms- Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing and good luck. I love watching these restoration threads, I just wish I had the patience and know-how to do these things my self.

One thing about the boats that are not completely covered with carpet in the front. Those little pieces of fiberglass on the front deck that do not have carpet on them get slick as snot when they get wet.

Also make sure to check that transom. If its been out in the weather its most likely rotted on the inside.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for sharing. There is a joy in making old things new again. It takes time to do things right. My biggest inspiration was that thread Anchorpuller did when she restored and rebuilt her dream fishing machine. http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-...pid-woman.html Mrs. CrappieStalker posted http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-...t-project.html. Anchorpuller also posted this thread http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-...ould-chew.html. Motivation comes in many forms. I even looked at some of the things Cane Pole did. http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-...boat-pics.html Individuals like those mentioned inspire me.

When I see old restoration threads like those, well it was an inspiration to me to find myself a boat and see if it could be fishable again. Thank you for sharing.
    Last edited by shipahoy41; 10-24-2012 at 05:50 AM.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

I got to do a little cleaning down one side of the boat today in between jobs. I did a little wet sanding then buffing on one side. only got to work on it about an hour but its coming around.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    BnM Rods
    Teacha Worms- Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

WOW!! What a difference, Nice work!!

Post Thanks / Like

Lookin good!!!!!!

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

Post Thanks / Like

looks like you found a diamond in the rough there. Looking good, hope all of the restore goes as easy as the gelcoat.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

kycreek is online now Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Diamond in the rough.

Post Thanks / Like

I think so,... Considering new carpet (at my dealer cost) new trim (at my dealer cost) a new battery and the cost of the boat motor and trailer I'm gonna come in right at $1,000.
    BnM Rods
    Teacha Worms- Pro Staff

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

All of your hard work and effort will pay off after while. That is gonna be a great looking crappie catching machine.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast