Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jumped in with Y'all today

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Jumped in with Y'all today

Been thinking about buying a kayak for a few years now to fish some small waters and a river close to my home. It seemed the more I read about the sit on top and the sit insides the more confused I got about what kayak I wanted. I can tell you that each group of kayaks would work for my needs and I didn't make a final decision until today.
    I ended up going with the set on top because of how stable they are and I have spent some time over the years using a sit inside kayak and with me not wanting anything longer than 10' I thought this one would work.

So, this is my Pelican Castaway 100. As you can see from the pics I have already added two hatches and one side handle and added some pvc pipe to the two back rod holders. Plan to add a few things as I go and may move my Lowrance 4X DI unit to the kayak from my boat or may just buy another unit for the kayak later.

Hope to give it a test run tomorrow. I plan to use my fly-rod most of the time and hope I made the right choice with this kayak.

Name:  001.jpg
Views: 1135
Size:  51.4 KBName:  002.jpg
Views: 1057
Size:  31.1 KBName:  003.jpg
Views: 1123
Size:  38.6 KB
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

Good deal SH! You'll have a blast in it fer sure! If you've not been in one, I'd suggest taking it out empty to get a feel for it. I was glad I did. No issues, but it was just nice to paddle around for a bit.

Toss it in the truck and run over to Kentucky, I need someone else to kayak fish with

ETA: Be sure to keep your paddle from dripping in the seat well since there's no scuppers, or you're gonna get a wet butt.
    Apple Pie ProStaff

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I been reading about your kayak and all you have built to add onto it and have enjoy your thread. I hope to get something built soon for a new seat after I see what I need once on the water.
    Look forward to spending some time on this forum with everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

I wished I'd have followed RRR's lead in the beginning regarding the seat. I spent about $30+ building one that made me miserable. I'll be honest, I can't imagine finding a seat any more comfortable than that $10 patio chair.

In case you're considering building a rocket launcher style rod holder to slip into the 2 rod holders behind your seat, before you do, stand behind your Kayak, and look at how the PVC you put in them is splayed-out, like a "V". Take the screws out, put a dab of Silicone in the holes, and spin the holders a bit to make them parallel with each other. It'll make building, and R&R of the rocket launcher much easier. I didn't, and had to rework mine.
    Apple Pie ProStaff

Post Thanks / Like

Hope you have as much fun as I do. Look back at some of our previous posts and check out the photos. Be glad to answer any questions you may
    think of down the road. Like NeonMoon said, got to get the hiney elevated to keep it dry. Good advice to take it out and give it a trial run for fun.
    Don't be shy about showin' some pictures of your modifications. Enjoy and congrats.
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"

Post Thanks / Like

Was able to make a test run this morning for an hour. Going to enjoy the kayak but only paddled around today with no fishing.
    Already working on building a seat, my back can't take seating in that molded hole they call a seat. Will post pics as it comes together. Did also order a pair of drip rings for the paddle, I forgot how much water drips off a paddle LOL.

Post Thanks / Like

Stump, I have spinal issues, as well as knee problems. I spent about 8 hours today in mine and was no worse than I was when I flopped down into it. The seat I'd made left me all but unable to walk the following day. I hope your seat works for you, but don't discount spending $10 for a plastic patio chair, worse that could happen is you're out 10 bucks, it was the best mod I've done. I'm not trying to harp about it, but it made the difference for me between using mine, or having to sell it.
    Apple Pie ProStaff

Post Thanks / Like

Got my seat made and ready to use. Wanted to come up with a seat that I could remove and also wanted to still be able to use the stock seat if needed.

Took a fold-up chair and cut it down to the size and the height I wanted and reattached the front leg bottom so it would rest on the boat floor . Made some brackets so I would have a disconnect point on the back legs. Moved in front of the molded seat and installed a eyelet for a strap to tie down the front of the seat.

Name:  Castaway 100 004.jpg
Views: 901
Size:  39.0 KBName:  Castaway 100 009.jpg
Views: 965
Size:  37.5 KBName:  Castaway 100 013.jpg
Views: 1016
Size:  39.5 KBName:  Castaway 100 011.jpg
Views: 1047
Size:  35.5 KB

With this added seat I can fold it down over the stock seat and strap it down for transport. Can also remove it by pulling the back two pins if I want to use the molded seat and the back rest is still in place when needed.

Name:  Castaway 100 014.jpg
Views: 1033
Size:  41.7 KBName:  Castaway 100 016.jpg
Views: 1325
Size:  38.4 KBName:  Castaway 100 018.jpg
Views: 1911
Size:  34.6 KB

Took the seat and sanded the aluminum with 220 paper so the paint would stick and give it a coat of black paint. Can always add more paint if and when needed. The finished seat installed and ready.

Name:  Castaway 100 019.jpg
Views: 3265
Size:  46.9 KB

Post Thanks / Like

If I could just reach out and slap you on the back..........Great modification you got there. I could not have done it any better. Your gonna love it after
    being out for a while. Legs and back are going to be so happy. Welcome to the mod squad!
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto! I'd suggest getting back out on the water without gear again, raising your center of gravity does make a difference. one you'll quickly notice. Hope the dark color doesn't draw too much heat from the sun. You might consider adding tethers on your rods, just in case (mine are long enough to clip on/off from the seat, which protects them in case one would slip out of my hand while R&Ring them from the holder). For me, those stock rod holders were just too awkward to reach, with them straight-up behind me, I can just reach over my shoulder and grab one.
    Apple Pie ProStaff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast